A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Yesterday evening I watched La Casa dalle Finestre che Ridono (The House with the Laughing Windows) for the first time. Searching for giallo movies I came across this one, that is rated quite high on various giallo lists. I never heard of the director Pupi Avati (what a great name!).

I definitely understand why it is rated so highly. It has a very dark and unsettling feel to it. I highly recommend it! You do have to love your giallo :-) It is not bloody, but the atmosphere and characters are brilliant. I just love the feeling that these types of films emote. I wish I was 20 in 1975 and living in Italy while having excellent English language skills :-)

There are some reviews about this movies that express my sentiments better than that I am able to write them down: IMDB user reviews

And what about the score? Composed by Amedeo Tommasi. It is a bit limited as in there isn’t that much of it. But if you go here: Link to score bits you get some more insights and two clips.
By maxvelvet
Man, it's a classic! Check also Zeder, you'll love it! ;)
By Bezulsqy
Looking forward to that one! I checked the sysnopsis on IMDB. Sounds right up my alley.
By Ptflea2
I bought this movie about 15 years ago based on it's reputation and while I completely agree with you on atmosphere, I fell asleep twice on my first viewing. It's certainly a "slow burn" type film, setting up to a creepy conclusion.

I revisited it a few years back hoping to enjoy it more, but knowing the ending really hurt any chances of that.
By maxvelvet
Avati did also other 2 movies which are dark tales and interesting:
-L'arcano incantatore (The Mysterious Enchanter, 1996)
-Il nascondiglio (The Hideout, 2007)
"L'Arcano Incantatore" it's beautiful, really gothic, a classic example on how a movie made with a low budget can turn out great because of cool ideas, story and the right atmospheres! The Hideout it's the opposite, bigger budget but nothing original...the same haunted house seen in 10.000 other films... ;)
By StrangeVices
I throw this giallo film up there in my top 5. I am all about the atmosphere, slow burn, and vibe approach. Definitely not one I like to show to people just jumping into the genre though.
By Bezulsqy
Maybe it is not the best start for someone into the giallo genre. It is very slow. And not bloody :-) But if you like your giallo and haven't seen this: do so!
I'm tracking down a copy of Zeder. Looking forward to that one.
By deathwaltz
This is a killer movie . Seconded on Zeder too , so so good.
I just re watched The Bloodstained Shadow which is another killer film that doesn't get enough love and that Goblin/Cipriani score is a world beater.