A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By scentofdeath
I've been meaning to start this thread for a while, because I am completely obsessed with certain international TV series.

The point of this thread (and my request) is that people share and recommend TV series or mini-series, regardless of origin, to hopefully unearth unknown Television Film gems from around the world and to keep up with new and recurring ones.

Guidelines for thread:
-No spoilers
-Of the "noir" aesthetic (as much as possible), because stylish filmmaking matters;
-Genres: crime investigation, psychological thriller, dystopian, the paranormal, weirdo suggestions welcome;
-Language/Country of origin: Any language please, the more diverse the better;
-New and old, and please give us a heads-up if some kick-ass series has been renewed for another season or two :)

Recently blown away by:
Top Of The Lake, Y Gwill (Hinterland), Mammon, Broen, Forbrydelsen, Les Revenants, Red Riding Trilogy, Utopia (RIP), Hannibal.

I hope this turns out well.
By Occhionero
My recommendation is definetly: True Detective

Great Storytelling, great actors and well photographed. Music worth for a Vinyl release.
By Whip Wilson
True Detective is amazing. If you liked Hinterland, then give Shetland a look. They're both lighter fare, but worthwhile watching. The Jack Irish movies are in that vein as well. The Killing was a bit too sensational/full of obvious red herrings week after week for me. Don't get me wrong, I watched every episode, but probably preferred the second series overall. Bron/Broen is also tremendous. Still haven't seen the second series of Utopia yet, but having heard it was canceled I'm now in no rush. Lastly, I've heard good things about the new show, Fortitude, but not seen it myself.

Also, can we keep this thread SPOILER FREE, please? Seems obvious since it's a recommendations thread, but just in case...
By DISCOSUCKS...
Although I have yet to watch it, a few friends have strongly rec'd checking out Swedish dystopian science fiction show REAL HUMANS. It has had two seasons since 2012. It's near the top of my list.

And...the inevitable "I concur" when it comes to True Detective! Incredible storytelling, in any format.
By phantomnoir
I thought the Fleming TV series was brillant. You guys should check it out.

By blastman
Mentioned the other day in the Now Playing thread (because of its fine Mogwai soundtrack), Les Revenants is a superior French series with an interesting take on the zombie genre. The second series is (finally) about to finish shooting and should be out later this year. Also, the American remake (The Returned) has just started, might be worth a look.

Hannibal is brilliant, obviously.

Quite liked the first series of The Strain, although I know a lot of people didn't. It's Del Toro, so it's worth a look.

If you liked Breaking Bad, you should be watching Better Call Saul. The latest episode was superb, and overall the series is better than I probably expected it to be, with those big shoes it has to fill.
By philball1974
True Detective is definitely amongst the top tv shows of all time. Breaking Bad was brilliant and very addictive (no pun!) as was The Wire.

I really enjoyed the original 1975 version of Survivors, and if you enjoy dark, grim Northern English apocalypse then Threads was also brilliant tv.

HBO did a show called Hit & Miss about a transsexual hitman which might sound shit but was actually pretty good.

Fargo is also very good, but would recommend watching the film first to get the most out of it.
Obviously Twin peaks needs a mention as does Game of Thrones and Walking dead.
By chiefbrody
Completely agree on True Detective, and am amazed there's not been a vinyl release. I'm a fan of T-Bone Burnett's taste. It will be interesting to see how Season 2 shapes up with a slightly more popcorn case (Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn, Taylor Kitsch).

Definitely recommend Broen/Bron. First season in particular.

Keeping the Scandi theme going, Borgen was a hit in our household. Maybe not as dark as some of the other choices here, but high quality drama.

I thought season 2 of Hannibal was a bit hit and miss. It's always been very stylish and I like that about it, but I felt it was a bit heavy handed with the metaphors... a wee bit too pretentious. It looks and sounds like nothing else on TV.

By scentofdeath
Thanks everybody, hope you will keep pitching in every now and then.
I didn't mention True Detective because I loved it so much I am sick of it.

Any thoughts on Wallander (the Swedish series)?
By Occhionero
Wallander is great (not the Kenneth Branagh version), but i prefer the "Millenium - Trilogy" from Sweden.
By Whip Wilson
[quote=58603]"Wallander is great (not the Kenneth Branagh version), but i prefer the “Millenium – Trilogy” from Sweden."[/quote]Seconded. I've not seen the Swedish feature films of Wallander, but the series is good. Though I enjoy the BBC versions as well.

Millennium Trilogy is fantastic and even if you've seen the movies, the expanded versions that were serialized on telly there are well worth it.

Jar City is an excellent Icelandic movie that ticks all of the Nordic Noir boxes. Based on a fine series of novels.
By scentofdeath
[quote=58607]
Jar City is an excellent Icelandic movie that ticks all of the Nordic Noir boxes. Based on a fine series of novels.
[/quote]

Ha! I was going to mention this film earlier, but I thought I'd stick to series. But yes, it's exactly all that and definitely recommended. Curious if there's any Icelandic tv series worth looking into.
By Little Walter
I just watched Broadchurch recently . . stylistically similar to Top of the Lake and a damn fine show.
By Dollarhyde
Old and Well known, particularly I presume stateside, and also an anthology series, but so so good is the original 60's Twilight Zone.

There were 5 series 1-3 are a bit better than 4-5. But imo arguably one of the best ever tv series made, particularly on a noir/horror/scifi tip.

The HD remasterers really illustrate the brilliance of the team working on the series. Everything was so high quality for the time.
Score wise you had herrmann and goldsmith. But everything else was also top shelf. Acting, writing, directing, cinematography.
By Whip Wilson
Sweet Reggie, Dollarhyde, I've quoted the wrong post! I frigging love the Twilight Zone and have no Ill words to speak of it whatsoever. My tail is firmly tucked. Cheers.

EDIT: In fact, I am getting great pleasure reading your defense of an older show against the conceits of modern television when that is essentially was I was protesting myself. I am such a maroon. Hilarious.
By Dollarhyde
The use of characters as devices I guess comes from cramming so much into half an hour. I enjoy some of the one note characters they are larger than life, cartoon, to an extreme even comedic at times. And imo the quality of the actors make you want to believe in these charactors all the more.

It is a little hackneyed and dated, but I like that and the production quality makes it so much easier to appreciate.

Being over 50 years old its very different to current tv formats and production. the scripts lack the complexity, subtleties and numerous sub-plots of todays tv. But this simply wasnt possible in a half hour anthology show.

There are some episodes that are weak here and there. But each episode is a whole new concept.

I find it a great change to the drip feed formula to many new tv franchises, some get it right but some don't. e.g. Extant, seriously dissapointing.

Some of the hour long 4th season TZ's have a bit more depth to them.
By Whip Wilson
[quote=58633]"I just watched Broadchurch recently . . stylistically similar to Top of the Lake and a damn fine show."[/quote]
I watched the first series when it was on and enjoyed it quite a bit at first, but soon lost interest. I gave up altogether after the second episode of season two. I found a lot of the characters to be either one note or used as devices (acting against previously established type) to forward the plot far too often. I had a few other quibbles, but I don't want to get spoiler-y up in this piece. I thought the two leads were outstanding. No surprise since they are outstanding in most everything.
By Dollarhyde
@mateo lol dude, was super confused there for a minute. Im at the end of a 12hr night shift which doesnt help either.

whats odd is you're comment seemed to correlate.

But yeah, twilight zone = all kinds of awesome.
By Little Walter
@ Mateo - I didn't even know there was a second series. I'll take your word for it and not watch it. The first eight episode batch with David Tennant wrapped up beautifully, I thought.
By Whip Wilson
[quote=58677]"@ Mateo – I didn’t even know there was a second series. I’ll take your word for it and not watch it. The first eight episode batch with David Tennant wrapped up beautifully, I thought."[/quote]

Aw heck, Lil Walt. Don't take my word for it. I can't even figure out how to respond to the right post.
By scentofdeath
Top Of The Lake will return with a second season :)
By DrRhythm
Broadening this out a bit, I always loved Northern Exposure - quirky, funny and occasionally quite trippy plus a pretty good soundtrack.
By freshoj
The wife and I both recently enjoyed Black Mirror and Orphan Black. I think these qualify for this thread.

Orphan Black is a bit spotty, but fun. Black Mirror can be amazing or not, depending on the story of that episode.
By Spun out of control
Yes, along with Utopia, Black Mirror was must watch TV for me.... intelligent, witty & thought provoking - which is not always what you get from terrestrial TV. With Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker on board as editor/writer you are going to get quality.