A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By DISCOSUCKS...
Saw this last night, had a really fun time. The first half is what worked best for me, but I still enjoyed the whole experience. The soundtrack is huge in the mix, and fantastic - I'm listening now. Recalls so many odd 80s electro scores, especially touchstones such as Nightmare on Elm Street and The Entity, though also not such obvious weird little flicks like Night of the Comet and stuff by TV guy Sylvester Levay (check his theme from Wet Gold, against the cue INQUIRY:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssUpNmeoUQU

(and at 20' 35" into...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2fNCSYQZb0

I won't go on too much/pre-digest your food for you if you're excited for this one, but I will put my review below, which is styled on the famous BLOOD SIMPLE video release poster hype from back in the day, which I remember word for word.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT FOLLOWS...

IT'S KUBRICK OUT OF DONNIE DARKO.
GUS VAN SANT OUT OF HALLOWEEN.
SHANE CARRUTH OUT OF VIRGIN SUICIDES.

AND IT'S STILL BOLDLY, BRILLIANTLY ORIGINAL.

By phantomnoir
I thought it was so-so. The cinematography is brillant, but the script is a bit poor and the acting... The soundtrack is good though.
By DISCOSUCKS...
I added the "boldly brilliantly original" line, just to stay true to that original Blood Simple blurb that I mentioned.....I wouldn't go that far in reality ;)

Definitely agree it's beautifully shot and composed though. And I actually liked the performances quite a lot on the whole.

Won't say much more just now. Will wait til others have had a chance to see it.

By phantomnoir
There is one thing though. The film director has a promising career. I wouldn't be surprised if Hollywood asked him to work on a big project.
By soundtracks of fear
Hoping to see it later in the week, that or Duke of Burgandy
By Spun out of control
Haven't been lucky enough to see the movie yet, but there is already a STBC thread from a few weeks back with regards the OST:

OST LINK

Five stars for the film in the Guardian and Time Out, so this is certainly on my list...

@Discosucks... that Brooke Shields clip is quite something!
By maxlevel
Saw this yesterday, really liked huge parts of it especially the jarring score. The images of Detroit are horrifying, beautifully captured by the DP and director to give a full on assault of the modern day equivalents of Jamie Lee Curtis and gang. There aren't many films where literally every male actor gets a turn on the female lead.

Bit silly at times. Good for popcorn
By VinyLOST
i caught the film last year as well while in Texas for MondoCon. I ended up with a DVD screener copy of it from a friend in Seattle!!!! he always sends the goods! dont buy the soundtrack just because it sounds good without watching the film first. to many people buy vinyl because they look awesome, but never watch the films, go figure.
By synthxanderharris
The soundtrack rips! Just totally great. The movie though....eh, not bad at all but I was honestly a bit disappointed. It's a solid film but the premise needed to be fleshed out a bit more for my tastes. I thought the first hour was fantastic but the last half of the film dragged. I didn't think it was scary at all and it lifted a little too much from the graphic novel "Black Hole" by Charles Burns' for my tastes. I do recommend it, these are just minor quibbles. Amazing? Eh, on some levels. The look of the film is incredible and it feels like a cousin to "The Guest" at times. Fun? Fuck yea. Maika Monroe might be a modern day Jamie Lee Curtis. I think she's fantastic.
By Purplemule74
So I saw 'It Follows' On April 2nd. I've been processing the movie off and on since then.

My general thought is that the movie isn't good, but it does have a few moments that I enjoyed.

I do have one general WTF scene in the movie that I'd like to hear your opinions about. When the kids go to the underground pool, they set up a bunch of appliances around the edge of the pool. Three days after the film I'm still trying to make sense of what they thought they were going to do.

I thought initially that they were planning on luring the entity into the pool, and then attempt to electrocute it. Kind of a hybrid of the old ghosts can't pass over water bit.

Instead, the entity just picked appliances up and tossed them at our heroine. So the plan was to knock her out and drown her? Or maybe drown her and then revive her? WTF?
By EvilN8
[quote=60904]Instead, the entity just picked appliances up and tossed them at our heroine. So the plan was to knock her out and drown her? Or maybe drown her and then revive her? WTF?

Their plan was to lure the entity into the pool, leave the pool, and then electrocute the entity as it was trapped in the pool. Remember, it only walks, so if it entered the pool, she'd be able to escape before the entity was able to accost her, and they'd be able to toss in their electronics. Instead, the entity just used the items they had set up for their trap as weapons to toss at her, some of which were still plugged in. There is a line in script addressing that.. something to the effect of "It didn't work!" + "That's good for me!" Essentially, their plan wasn't going to work in the first place, because tossing electrical items into a swimming pool does not send fatal electric current into pool water.
By Ptflea2
Saw this over the weekend with the wife. I don't see many movies in the theater any more, but I'm really glad I got to catch this. I really enjoyed it. I think it helped not knowing a thing about it going in (except the soundtrack though).

My wife doesn't like movies where everything isn't laid out for you, beginning, middle and ending. I, on the other hand, think it works better that the less you know about the entity the better. Really liked the ending too, keeps it open for interpretation a bit.
By texasvinyl
"Thanks again for ordering Disasterpeace - It Follows OST LP!

Due to limited quantities and overwhelming demand, the first vinyl pressing has sold out. Your current pre-order through store.milanrecords.com is STILL active, as we are anticipating a 2nd pressing of this item to arrive at our warehouse at the end of May 2015. Once this title is back in stock and ready to ship, you will be notified via email that your LP is on its way."

Boo!!! ::throws tomatoes::

I kid, but I do wonder if anyone has this in stock and whether Amazon, Best Buy etc pre-orders are getting filled.

Also, the Milan site says 2nd press arrives late June or July, hopefully the May indication in the email is more accurate.
By blindguy
I got a shipping notice from Amazon for my copy, should be delivered tomorrow.
By Garmonbozia
I was really floored by this movie. I'm surprised at all the negative comments here. It really feels like this incredibly well done amalgamation of A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Thing and it invoked feelings in me that reminded me of watching horror movies as an 80's kid.

There is a lot of ambiguity and I think maybe that's what is turning people off? I've been reading interviews with the director and he addresses the pool scene by saying that basically these are very young kids facing something that they only have a vague idea about and that their pool plan was totally stupid because they're young and scared and desperate to make it stop. Also, the rules offered up by the dude in the movie are only what he's been able to cobble together from being chased by it. So he's kind of right but also he doesn't really know anything.
By Bezulsqy
Finally watched It Follows yesterday evening and really loved it. I love the idea of not telling you too much. You know as much as the characters. And the quote of Garmonbozia above makes sense about how very young kids just try to survive and figure out something they also have no clue about.
I hadn’t listened to the soundtrack before. Only heard everybody rave about it. It really sounded great during the movie. I’m going to buy it in the coming month. Thankfully a lot are still available for normal prices.

In recent months I watched Starry Eyes, You’re Next and It Follows. All three I liked, but It Follows for me is the best out of those three. I had the idea that the horror or suspense movies in the last ten years were all about how many sequels can I create and make as much money, but movies like these show that there again are a lot of good new and young people creating great stuff.

Anyone any tips for other releases I have missed from the past years?
By deafmetal
@Bezulsqy - Did you catch House of the Devil from 2009? I also enjoyed Raimi's Drag Me To Hell.
By Hatter313
i think the genre goes through periods of stagnation where we get sequel after sequel after sequel with no originality or value, that usually takes a few years to work itself out while the new crop of filmmakers who were raised on good horror take the reigns and get us back to basics. the last few years have really been a nice return to form, with a growing group of film makers who understand the legacy of the classics and know how to use those conventions to make great stuff. we are also climbing out of a CGI hole and back into the realm of practical effects, which always makes things better.

Some of my fav's of the past few:

Insidious (and its pretty great sequel)
The Conjuring
House of the Devil
The Guest
It Follows
Drag me to Hell
The Innkeepers
Tusk (oh my what a trip)
The Babadook
Starry Eyes
Cabin in the Woods
Evil Dead's surprisingly excellent remake

James Wan, Adam Wingard, Ti West...these are just some of the names that have given us some really fantastic horror and suspense films of the last few years. We are at the beginning of another golden age of horror I think.'

so Thrill Me :)

By deafmetal
Good list, @Hatter. I have not seen all of these, but I also felt Cabin in the Woods was a lot of fun.
By Bezulsqy
Thanks for the tips. I saw most of them but simple didn't think about them.
I liked Cabin in the Woods as well. Great idea carried out well. Drag me to Hell was great.
And I loved Sinister.
I am definitely going to check out House of the Devil soon. And very curious about Tusk. I did see Red State and found that to be quite amusing.
Did anyone see Eden Lake? Really found that terrifying (because I lived in a neighborhood at the time with equally enoying children that even threw a stone through my window).
You guys gave some good ideas to watch!
By Dollarhyde
I watched it follows not long ago. I wasn't disapointed, but I wasnt blown away either.
It seemed a bit style over substance, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
The weakness of the movie imo was the story. The dialogue was good, but the story arc seemed cobbled together, as if the storyline was at the bottom of the priority list.

Also thought it was a little restrained, especially for a directorial debut. Was really hoping it would go balls out, off the rails, fuck wierd.

In regard to the pool, I reckon the director just wanted to shoot a swimming pool at night regardless of where the story was going, same could be said for the detroit footage.

Was not very scary but the movie did stay with me after watching.

And the music works so well in the film.