A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By synthxanderharris
Enemy is an incredible film, one of my favorites.
By ScoJo
Blade Runner sequel score. Hmmm.

Who is the modern day Vangelis?

I know that they've only scored one feature, but I believe Ben Salisbury & Geoff barrow would kill it.

My back up list would have to include Martinez, Steve Moore, Rich Vreeland and Mica Levi. But I imagine we should probably expect someone like Belltrami, one of the big budget dudes.
Quite a strange choice in my view. His work is beautiful though and if some of those melodies translate well to synths then it could be stunning. Had I not known then my first choice would be perhaps Pilotopriest.
I'm sure the choice of composer had much to do with there existing an already established working/ creative relationship between Denis Villeneuve and Johann Johannsson.

I'm guessing having someone on your side you've worked with previously and know can deliver the goods helps take some of the pressure off when working on a prestigious project such as this... one that is being awaited with high expectation.

So a 'safe' choice perhaps, as much as anything.
By vi_resmusic
Spun out of control wrote:Or just get Vangelis back in to do the score, as he's still with us?

The music is so much a part of the original movie, like a character in itself, that it would be like hearing Star Wars without John Williams' theme...

This! Even if it was just for continuity and recognition. I think that it's important to keep a common thread from episode to episode when it comes to sci fi. I personally want to see and hear a continuation of the original not a reinvention of the wheel.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un7mKu0dcBw[/video]
NathanLurker wrote:Here's a thought, Vapormeyer : Is it even going to be Synth-based ? Has he worked with them before ?
He definitely has, Brother Nathan. He has used them quite a bit in his non-score solo work, as well as in the band Apparat Organ Quartet which is pretty cool if you've not experienced it.

I really like Johannsson, but I can see why folks would be neutral about this choice. He seems a bit ubiquitous right now and sort of a hot name so perhaps a bit too "easy." I think there is also room for optimism. His scores of late have been excellent and often times frequent director/composer pairings yield wonderful results; think NVR/Martinez or Cronenberg/Shore. While I'd've loved to see Vangelis or, as somebody (Dollarhyde perhaps?) suggested, an outsider like BOC, Johannsson could be very, very good.

But no matter who they pick to score, direct, act, write, grip, or gaffer this thing , it will all come down to execution. I am skeptical, if not a bit resentful, of this sequel. It is unnecessary and just the synopsis alone seems to be ret-conning the original which is filmic heresy. If this were a reboot, I'd be almost eager, but a sequel? Trepidation rules the day.
The music is certainly in-keeping and encouragingly so... though we all know what's in the first teaser trailer doesn't always end up in the finished movie.

Audio aside, for me the future city looks a lot cleaner than Scott's version - maybe it just needs some rain FX added :)

Also, geting a sense of deja vu between this and the plot of the Force Awakens.

I guess this means that Dekard isn't a replicant after all, as the final cut of the original movie seemed to be going all out to infer. Then again, this is sci-fi, so there could be a variety of explanations. Am certainly intrigued.
If I remember right....and maybe I'm wrong, but I think In at least one of the cuts (absolutely no idea which right now) there's a actually a reference to Sean young not having the four year life span, which invalidates or at least modified Gaff's closing lines. The implication (or really just downright fact per the final cut) that dekard is a replicant is also an implication that he is of the same production line as her, so it's conceivable that he doesn't have a life span issue either....that being said I trust the director and screenwriter to know that they've been handed a complicated idea, and to have built these questions into the film....or at least I hope they have. It's a shame we don't know yet....but then again, who does? (Sorry)
This is how I feel after watching the trailer:
Leon Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance focuses on how humans strive for internal consistency. An individual who experiences inconsistency tends to become psychologically uncomfortable, and is motivated to try to reduce this dissonance, as well as actively avoid situations and information likely to increase it.
I also just watched the trailer for the live action Ghost in the Shell with Clint Mansell scoring... no idea what to think about all this.
I think the trailer for GITS looks awesome, I just hope the movie is as well.
I'm certainly willing to give this and GITS a chance. The looks are good on both movie, but the plot is gonna be what makes or break the movies . I am of the kind that can forget about a movie if it's bad, even if it is part of a franchise I love. a bad movie won't ruin the originals for me, so I'm not totally against touching known, established cult classics or remaking. Especially if the crew working on them are interesting.
Watching this trailer a second time, is that 'I know...' response from Ryan Gosling a knowing reference to Ford's own improvised 'I know' response to Carrie Fisher in Empire Strikes Back..? :)

Music wise, very Vangelis gone synth wave, but also plenty of Hans Zimmer-like 'ba-da-boom' which may be just for effect in the trailer.

Did anyone also watch the Q&A with the leads & director yesterday - the guys were laidback to the point of being soporific, so we didn't learn much
By zuko
Trailer got me pumped for the movie, but I would assume that's the not the Jóhannsson score.

Mackenzie Davis is a great casting shout, wonder if she will be playing a new Pris?
By zuko
Spun out of control wrote:Watching this trailer a second time, is that 'I know...' response from Ryan Gosling a knowing reference to Ford's own improvised 'I know' response to Carrie Fisher in Empire Strikes Back..? :)
Maybe the line before this is – "Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I'm a replicant!"