A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Appreciate you lads sharing your viewpoints. There were some great visuals in the trailer, but there were also shots that looked too fresh. 2019 was a dark, gritty, lived in world, I can't imagine 2049 is somehow cleaner. For lack of a better phrase, I'll say some of it looked too 'crisp' if that makes sense; resembling the Blade Runner inspired world of The Fifth Element more than the original BR itself. Also, I am hoping the trailer music isn't all in the film. Because so much of it is just north of everything else that is in cinemas and trailers every day. There were times when the editing and music in the trailer could've been the same boilerplate dreck as a fucking Transformers film. Anyhow, still plenty of lovely stuff to behold and I'll be there opening weekend with the rest of you...for now.
Agreed on the 'too clean' visuals, as mentioned earlier in this thread, though part of that lack of grainy-ness could be down to them shooting digitally (presumably) rather than on film, like the original.

At least there's some rain in that scene with Robin Wright :)

The cinematographer Roger Deakins is both a veteran and highly respected though, and going by the obvious symmetrical framing of some of the shots, they haven't just pointed the camera at the actors and turned over, but taken a more painterly approach.

Wonder who will be putting out the score? Presumably Music On Vinyl or Deutsche Grammophon?
zuko wrote:
Spun out of control wrote:Watching this trailer a second time, is that 'I know...' response from Ryan Gosling a knowing reference to Ford's own improvised 'I know' response to Carrie Fisher in Empire Strikes Back..? :)
So, I just had to put this together: https://instagram.com/p/BT7FQ-GDD3Z/
Attachments
Muttley.jpg
Muttley.jpg (17.59 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
deafmetal wrote:Hans Zimmer joins the project:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... ade-runner
Fuck.

PS - I thoroughly enjoyed the MENSA chairperson who authored this article referring to Vangelis as "that band".
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
re: That band....

It never ceases to amaze me that the people writing these articles always seem so out of touch with the minutia and even basic facts, I see weirdly ignorant phrasing like that in a lot of articles these days.

re; Zimmer....I'm less than thrilled with that tbh, i don't think he's the right composer for this, but i ill be happily proven wrong.
I'm not sure how I feel about all of this, but I'm really trying to have faith in the project. I had my head put through the ringer yesterday by going to see Dunkirk in 70mm projection, and due to the fact the theater had an actual film projector rig set up, there was no digital bullshit parade before the show. It was eerily dark and quiet in the theater, and we had arrived a bit early to get good seats. The projector finally rattled to life and suddenly a 70mm film copy of the Blade Runner 2049 trailer was blasting all my senses... it just looked and sounded so incredible. Although I'm sure there are complaints about this being done, it really felt akin to the old 35mm film. I think my jaw was hanging agape through the whole thing. The Vangelis-homage music in the trailer really hit home on the big screen, and had me scratching my head all over again at just what the fuck was going on now..... all followed by a two-hour anxiety-filled braincrusher of a score from Herr Zimmer. I'm just at a loss.
Mixed emotions here too, I don't know a whole deal about zimmer compared to others but unless he does something very different, e.g. go all out synth with 'no strings attached' ;P it could be great.

Secondly if this hints at the direction the movie is going e.g. more big action rather than dark and moody I'm even more nervous.

That Jared Leto scene left me a bit concerned :/

Maybe Johannson is jumping a sinking ship :(

Aside from all this drama I was quite happy with what I heard in the Bladerunner trailer, okay not groundbreaking but it worked.
Dollarhyde wrote:Mixed emotions here too, I don't know a whole deal about zimmer compared to others but unless he does something very different, e.g. go all out synth with 'no strings attached' ;P it could be great.

Secondly if this hints at the direction the movie is going e.g. more big action rather than dark and moody I'm even more nervous.

That Jared Leto scene left me a bit concerned :/

Maybe Johannson is jumping a sinking ship :(

Aside from all this drama I was quite happy with what I heard in the Bladerunner trailer, okay not groundbreaking but it worked.
The music contained in the trailers was made specifically for them (some by SOS recording artist, Bryce Miller) and is unlikely to be featured in the film in any way.
[/quote]The music contained in the trailers was made specifically for them (some by SOS recording artist, Bryce Miller) and is unlikely to be featured in the film in any way.[/quote]

I like how 'professional' that makes us sound.... cheers @Mateo :)

Thought Bryce did an excellent job of setting the tone and maintaining enough nods to the original in his score for the trailer(s)... they could do worse than have him contribute to the movie itself, which is now sounding like it could end up as a hotchpotch of this and that... but am sincerely hoping not.

The bit that gets me is that Denis Villeneuve and Jóhann Jóhannsson are always said to work closely together, matching image and score when the shoot is actually taking place, and one influencing the other.

To junk (or at least modify) Jóhannsson's involvement after the movie has already been shot is therefore a bit 'huh...?'
I like a lot of Zimmer scores. He's done so many that I think most people find his stuff 'generic' only because he's done a ton of them. But Interstellar is not generic, and his Gladiator is great, the Batman scores with James Newton Howard really became part of the trilogy's identity. Also, Black Hawk Dawn. great stuff.

So I wouldn't be too quick to judge negatively his involvement yet, but still, Zimmer is a bit of a mismatch for the synth mood that's expected from Blade Runner and it's always a concern when the original plan changes mid-way, just the same as when producers hire a different director for reshoots etc.

Wait and see though. The trailer is nice enough. I try not to have too much expectations for the movie.
NathanLurker wrote:I like a lot of Zimmer scores. He's done so many that I think most people find his stuff 'generic' only because he's done a ton of them. But Interstellar is not generic, and his Gladiator is great, the Batman scores with James Newton Howard really became part of the trilogy's identity. Also, Black Hawk Dawn. great stuff.

So I wouldn't be too quick to judge negatively his involvement yet, but still, Zimmer is a bit of a mismatch for the synth mood that's expected from Blade Runner and it's always a concern when the original plan changes mid-way, just the same as when producers hire a different director for reshoots etc.

Wait and see though. The trailer is nice enough. I try not to have too much expectations for the movie.
All kidding aside (and believe me when I say that's no small task for yours truly), the selected text above is exactly why folks have crooked their collective eyebrow.
Weird. I posted something about this yesterday or Sunday and now it's gone. Oh well.

ScoJ, I am equally bummed about this. Now we are left with only Zimmer (and Wallfisch presumably). I also noted that it has been odd watching this film be so heavily promoted during NFL games. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but just not two worlds I anticipated colliding.
By ScoJo
@monster

Believe it or not, it's actually not that uncommon with tentpole/big studio movies for the score not to be locked until the last minute. I've seen footage of Zimmer (in a Carpenter episode of German tv show After Dark) working on a Pirates OTC film back in the mid-2000s where they were working to finish the score within a few days...because the release date was only a week or so away!
That's a great show btw, check it out - JC hanging out with actress Franke Potente in LA, really fun hour.
:\
I kinda wish I had known nothing about the soundtrack and the change of plans, and just discovered the final product in theater. The changes might just be caused by conflicting schedules with J.Johansson , but I can't help but wonder what happened backstage.

B. Wallfisch has done good stuff with the Cure for Wellness soundtrack. Here, he'd be just orchestrating stuff for Zimmer right ? no composer credits ? Anyway he's maybe a name to keep an eye on. I'm curious about his IT soundtrack ( I plan to see IT in theater in the following 2 weeks and will pay attention to the soundtrack)

anyway, I'm very neutral about the Blade Runner movie. I'll go see it. It looks visually good.
By ScoJo
The early word is in.

Very positive, with 'masterpiece' being thrown around quite a bit, and 'oscar' tip for Deakins.

That's all I need. Faith regained, I'm back on the EXCITE train!

Now, to find a midnight screening......