A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ifots
I have a passion for portmanteau horror.Lets take it as a given we all love AMICUS. Any new anthologies you enjoyed?

VHS was great anyone seen two yet?

a,b,c of death was a ambitious project!!! some great parts and some piss poor parts. (The jap directors were beyond insane and i found myself shouting abuse at some of the almost film student entrees from top directors...ti west hang your head in shame!!!! )

theater bizarre ..meh
By palmat
Well I´m not too fond of the anthology thing, since too many segments are basically shit in most anthologies. For every good segment I have to sit through a bad segment. Don't like that.

I just saw V/H/S/2 and liked it better than the first one. The wrap around story is basically the same as in the first movie, but I liked this one better some reason. The individual segments are a mixed bag. The best one was the one directed by Gareth Edwards (director of The Raid) which was really good had it not been for the very end scene which was laughable.

ABC's of Death didn't do anything for me except for the O-segment which was awesome. I have to agree that it was truly sad to see so many good directors come off as total hacks.

By ifots
For me its a personal thing. I think anyone my age (39) would remember being a kid watching amicus films every friday night. Seemed so innocent, the pre-curser to the video nasty days. Still love anthologies now. But the quality of them get worse every year!
By thenuthouse
VHS 2 is far superior to the original. Unlike the original, which started off strong and failed to stay at that level, the sequel has probably the weakest segment first, and just ramps up from there. The violence is ratcheted way up, the acting is superior, and the ideas are more fully fleshed out.

While I'd prefer to see some pieces that actually take on the whole "VHS" aspect, rather than simply being first-person found footage, I've quite enjoyed these anthologies (along with the ABCs of Death). It's been a great way for new filmmakers to work on their craft, without the constrictions of a full-length film.
By siforster
My favourite of these is the 1945 Ealing one The Dead Of Night - a huge pile of weirdness at the best of times, but the segment with the ventriloquist still does my head right in...

I also remember Kwaidan being rather good as well, but it must be 10 years since I last watched it and can remember next to bugger all about it. Might give that a spin this weekend, and might squeeze in the two Three... DVDs while I'm at it. Not Bangkok Haunted though, that was rubbish.