A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By DISCOSUCKS...
GF has to get an early night, so I'm lining up this bad boy for tonight, in anticipation of coming treats from Waxwork:

By Whip Wilson
A long overdue thread. Well done. This afternoon, before work:

By DISCOSUCKS...
Good flick! I remember seeing this is in a full-on Root Beer Hauer phase after seeing Blade Runner/Hitcher. He never disappoints.

"From the director of Howling II: Stirba, Werewolf Bitch!" Or not.
By Dollarhyde
Just bought for £20 in hmv.

5 discs 7 movies and a bunch of special features. Only two commentaries it seems though, both for the first feature.

By Dollarhyde
While on the subject I would highly recommend these babies.

Superb HD restoration chuck full of extra features: multiple commentaries, radio shows, isolated scores! And more. Should be got at a reasonable price too.

By DISCOSUCKS...
"Counselor........couuuunselor........come out come out wherever you are.......could you be here??"

By Whip Wilson
Great movies, TAG. I'm due for a pair of rewatches myself.
By tonyandrewgiles
@Mateo - I'd forgotten how good the original was.

I'm not actually sure which one is better...

De Niro's Cady works for me a lot more than Mitchum & I rate Peck over Nolte.
By Dollarhyde
need to see the og, love scorsese's.
By DISCOSUCKS...
So.....C.H.U.D!

Still a really fun flick, I heartily recommend a visit. My favourite thing about it has always been the setting of the NY underground system, with homeless folks living down there. I was fascinated at the time with just that subject, having read an article/book called "The Mole People" about the real phenomenon and a bit later seeing the amazing documentary Dark Days (a perfect double bill with C.H.U.D!).

Waxwork's soundtrack release should be interesting - I only really clocked around 15mins of score in the film!

What's really fun is listening to the commentary on this Anchor Bay disc. Director, writer, Heard + Stern re-united....it's an absolute riot listening to them slagging of the film and it's producer! (Stern is especially harsh on the monster design/fx...the others not so much!)

When the composer credit comes up, Stern says "Cooper Hughes.....who the hell's he?" and the director replies "Never met him!" Well it turns out that it's a composite name for two guys from OMD, Martin Cooper and David A. Hughes!

Also fun is watching out for the crazy roster of actors who appear in supporting or bit parts - John Goodman, Jon Polito, John Bedford Lloyd, Frankie Faison, George Martin......
By Whip Wilson
[quote=50592]@Mateo – I’d forgotten how good the original was.

I’m not actually sure which one is better…

De Niro’s Cady works for me a lot more than Mitchum & I rate Peck over Nolte.
[/quote]

Seems entirely reasonable. Mitchum was a monster in Night of the Hunter, but I truly don't remember him very well here. I'll be double dipping this week.

[quote=50594]So…..C.H.U.D!

the amazing documentary Dark Days

Waxwork’s soundtrack release should be interesting – I only really clocked around 15mins of score in the film!

When the composer credit comes up, Stern says “Cooper Hughes…..who the hell’s he?” and the director replies “Never met him!” Well it turns out that it’s a composite name for two guys from OMD, Martin Cooper and David A. Hughes!

Also fun is watching out for the crazy roster of actors who appear in supporting or bit parts – John Goodman, Jon Polito, John Bedford Lloyd, Frankie Faison, George Martin……
[/quote]

First, Dark Days is a great movie. Second, I'd never heard of or considered who Cooper Hughes was before. It sounds like Stern steals the show here. Finally, all the bit parts were the thing that stood out to me when I watched this last Autumn. It was hilarious.
By EvanCampbell
@disco - such a fun commentary...really hilarious by the end.

Yeah they kind of shit all over the effects crew. John Caglione who did the effects later went on to win and oscar for makeup lol. I always loved those designs!
By tonyandrewgiles
Been on a small Morricone kick recently and couldn't stop thinking about this so had to dig it out.

https://flic.kr/p/rhZXt7

There aren't many films I'd label as perfect but this is certainly one of them.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Get your De Palma on @TAG. I remain a true Believer.

By tonyandrewgiles
@disco - Epic.
By Whip Wilson
Holy shit, Disco. I mean... Dude.
Anyway, I'm watching this and playing tug of war with the pooch before supper.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Awesome dude. Had to look the flick up on IMDB, and the generally-positive featured user review includes this memorable observation :

"...a shower sequence that shows the butts of two men that no one cares about."

Insightful.