A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By philball1974
Whats the knowledge/interest like here for Folk Horror?

I don't know much about the genre apart from the odd film like the Wicker Man and blood on satans claw. Can we get some good discussion going?

Not really interested in endless youtube clips or random picks from Wiki pages, but if theres people here who have a genuine interest then would be great to learn more!
By siforster
There's a great BBC Play For Today TV thing called Robin Redbreast (starring the wonderful Bernard Hepton) that just about predates the Wicker Man and looks to have been quite an influence. It's out on DVD and it's bloody brilliant, if a little dragged-out (I believe the broadcast version was a bit shorter).

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzxbrol05Ds[/video]
By Hatter313
Always been a nut for this sub genre myself. In college I was a folklore and religion student, and had I continued in that field I would have focused on religions of ancient Europe so anything dealing with these traditions always floats my boat, so to speak. The crimson cult is a cool one too. I've never seen robin redbreast, I'll have to check it out. I do wish there was more of this, since the material is ripe for some cool horror style stories.

I'm american and I would love to see some stuff on our side as well, we have a decent ghost story tradition here that doesn't get enough play outside of sleepy hollow derivations. For instance, there's a story from the area I grew up on about a massacre between local Lenape tribe and english settlers, and how sometimes people would see the headless Lenape dancing around a cairn or stone monument in the woods...years later I found out that the supposed location of the monument was about 100 yards from my backyard. Always thought there was a cool flick in that story somewhere

So yeah, folk horror is great, I just wish there was more of it
By philball1974
Ive ordered Robin Redbreast, looks good. Aparently there are a lot of 70s tv shows that focused on the genre (sub genre) more than films, so hopefully be able to dig some out too.

Im suprised its not a bigger attraction, especially as the Wicker Man is such a cult classic. (as long as you never see the "not the bees. not the bees" version!!

The success of True Detective might bring more of this type of thing to?
By Pitch
There were lots of UK TV kids folk-horrorish fantasy series in the 70s - some have reached cult status, and many are creepy stuff with several having great soundtracks too.

One good source of DVDs (though not sure if they are region free) is NETWORK:

http://networkonair.com/shop/96-drama

(They do have some soundtracks including a couple on vinyl in their sale)

Ones I'd recommend are:

The Owl Service (key work in Ghostbox world)

"This tale of the supernatural, sexual jealousy and class division broke new ground, with both bold direction from Peter Plummer and bravura performances from a cast of largely unknown actors. Originally shown in black and white this was, in fact, the first fully scripted programme made in colour by Granada Television.

Alison and her step-brother Roger go for the summer family holiday to a remote cottage in the Welsh Valleys. After hearing a scratching noise coming from the attic, Alison discovers some old dinner plates which have a strange floral pattern on them and, when she traces the pattern on paper, discovers that the flowers turn into owls. But what is the connection between the plates, the gardener, the angry housekeeper and the mysterious local legend?

Gradually the weird power of the valley takes over and the legend begins to unfold..."

Ace Of Wands

"a new kind of hero to children’s television: Tarot, a cool magician with psychic powers and a knack for unearthing strange goings on."

Children Of The Stones

"Children of the Stones was an undisputed landmark in children's television. Jeremy Burnham and Trevor Ray's groundbreaking fantasy series, starring Iain Cuthbertson and Gareth Thomas and filmed largely in Avebury in Wiltshire, combined scientific fact and fiction with pagan mythology and rural folklore in its portrayal of a village held captive by the sinister power of its Neolithic stone circle.

Intelligent, atmospheric and genuinely unnerving, the series – often cited by those who grew up in the Seventies as the most frightening thing seen on television – was the result of collaboration between writers Burnham and Ray, producer Patrick Dromgoole (whose previous credits had included classic HTV series Sky and Arthur of the Britons) and producer/director Peter Graham Scott; classical composer and conductor Sidney Sager scored the series' chilling theme and incidental music. Unsurprisingly, Children of the Stones has gained a devoted cult following in the decades since its first transmission in 1977."

King Of The Castle (more urban fantasy than folk horror))

"Macabre, fantastical and a benchmark production for children’s television in the 1970s, King of the Castle was created by Doctor Who stalwarts Bob Baker and Dave Martin as one of the run of outstanding children’s dramas HTV produced in that decade. Featuring strong direction and a script which expertly melds fantasy and reality, the series boasts solid performances from genre stalwarts Fulton Mackay, Milton Johns and Talfryn Thomas as well as Philip Da Costa as the series’ hero, Roland.

Recently moved to a crumbling tower block of flats, Roland’s cleverness marks him out for rough treatment from the gang who haunt the stairwells. Fleeing from Ripper, the gangleader, he plummets to earth in a lift that should be broken... waking up he finds himself in the grotesque and eerie fantasy world of ‘The Castle’ – a twisted version of the tower block, filled with gruesome versions of the people he knows. Can Roland find the missing keys he needs to become ‘King of the Castle’?"

Raven

"Raven, a 15-year-old Borstal boy, is released on probation to live with Professor Young, an archaeologist immersed in research into Arthurian legend, and his wife, an amateur ornithologist. The professor is working in deep underground caves whose carved symbols suggest that King Arthur may have used them as a hiding place, and Raven is intrigued by his belief that Arthur was not one man, but a succession of chiefs.

But the professor’s research in is peril: the government plans to build a nuclear waste reprocessing plant on the ancient site. As Raven is drawn into the battle to save the cave system, he begins to understand its mysteries - and the brightly coloured bird that has accompanied him on his journey holds the key to the discovery of his own unique destiny. Future Quadrophenia star Phil Daniels is Raven, alongside Michael Aldridge (Last of the Summer Wine) and Carry On... stalwart Patsy Rowlands, in this six-part fantasy series in which occult and supernatural themes are interwoven with environmental concerns."

By siforster
The Owl Service is ace - written by Alan Garner, my favourite book of his is The Weirdstone Of Brisingamen that's set in & around a place near me (and where Alan lives) called Alderley Edge, which is just fantastic and spooky. Many of the things referenced in the book actually exist on the Edge, although it should also be pointed out that some of the "mystical" things on the site such as the stone fairy circle were put there in the early 1900s by Alan's grandfather for a laugh.