A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:@monster that's ideal, it isn't showing until the Monday in the UK, so no clashes.

At last count we had a minimum of 6, that's a good number. Looking forward to this one.

@mateo if you could just think of some witty observations and/or trivia I'll throw them in and take credit for them.
I'll PM you a list; bullet points with time codes.
By ScoJo
I'm planning to be there for sure, but if there's an Act of God and I don't quite make it, here are my comments - to be inserted into the chat every 4-5 minutes cheers:

THIS SCORE IS FANTASTIC!

I LOVE THIS SCORE

MAN......THAT SCORE!

WHY ISN'T THIS SCORE ON WAX??

SO COME ON THEN....WHO'S DOING THIS SCORE FOR RSD 2018?

HOW. GOOD. IS. THIS. SCORE!?

THE SCORE. JUST THAT.

THIS FILM COULD HAVE DONE WITH 23% LESS 'MODERN PRIMITIVES/SCARIFICATION'...AND 78% LESS STATHAM.

SCORE!!!

That was fun, see you at the next one - I'M OFF TO LISTEN TO THAT SCORE!

(and so on and so forth... :D )
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:300% MORE STATHAM.
FTFY
By deafmetal
Bummed to have missed the GoM viewing today. Family needs completely shut down my plans. Hope it was fun!
By chiefbrody
@deaf, sorry you couldn't make it. There were 6 of us, I think, and it was quite a good night/day.

General consensus seemed to be -
- Not prime Carpenter, but a fun watch
- Also not a typical JC score, but a lot of great music, including released and criminally unreleased cues.
- The Stath (Jericho) needs to take a long hard look at himself and his pick-up techniques.
By chiefbrody
Ghosts was fun, and although 6 people isn't the highest number, it was enough to keep the convo going and still watch the film.

What's the feeling:
1. Let's get back on it - stay arranging the next sync
2. Leave it sporadic (though more often than annually!).

No polls, just post here and we can see how everyone feels.

Post a suggestion at the same time if you want.

The Faculty came up during the sync. Worth a watch?
Prince of Darkness?
Pieces?

In some ways I think Aliens would be a really good sync, but selfishly a 10pm start time would make it too late for me.
By ScoJo
Hey @chief -

Just a thought, how about for a future sync we pull the time back to say 8 or 9pm UK time? That's still a pretty
reasonable midday/1pm PST, and 3-4pm EST?

Stick to a Sunday though of course.

Plantin' seeds y'all.
By Mateo Sanboval
I'm with ScoJ; the time is immaterial. Noon is the same as 2pm to me. If I'm in town, I'm in sync. That said, I fear watching truly good movies at these things because, while I enjoy the film itself, there is less dialog between us all. EFNY was almost too good for us to chatter. I will watch whatever with my STBC brethren, though, so just an opinion; not a line in the sand. I'd be happy with any of the flicks Chief mentioned. I'd prefer POD or The Faculty. I love POD, but it was some send up-able moments and I haven't seen The Faculty since VHS times. STBCMC4LYFE
By ScoJo
Mateo took some of the words from my mouth :)

I personally think the sync works best when the film isn't 'perfect' (though having said that - I've been pretty vocal in the past here about my own opinion of Aliens, and it's certainly less than perfect!) But I'm pretty sure most on here are locked into hardcore bromance with Cameron/that film especially.

I would tentatively throw out Alien: Resurrection into the mix. It's still topical, but most agree it's a heavily flawed chapter in the series with some nonetheless great stuff in it that may allow for more of our (aherm) appreciative bantering ;)

The biggest problem with that would be choosing which version to watch - The Director Cut is overall better, but it does have that stoopid 'bug splatter' opening shot which puts me in a bad mood with that film every time. Not to mention the ending....
By chiefbrody
I 100% agree with you both. I think a perfect film would demand too much respect and attention for a sync - it's definitely worked best when the film is b-movie kind of material. EFNY was arguably too good for it!

My only thinking behind Aliens was that it's topical as you say @ScoJo, we've surely all seen it multiple times and wouldn't be gripped to the screen, it has enough fun/cult factor to be an enjoyable watch, and give us plenty to talk about. That said, I've seen Resurrection twice and my brain has blocked out almost everything about it - I've not seen the DC at all, so I'd be interested enough to give it a try.

I sense a poll coming...
By Hatter313
I just watched resurrection the other day, and I watched aliens right before the sync Sunday haha.

Up for whatever though
By chiefbrody
ScoJo wrote:@chief -

Polls are the new black!
True that @ScoJo. I'm thinking of going proper Presidential on this one - two round system.

@hatter, glad you'll be up for it. Any suggestions just drop 'em in here. And did you watch Alien and Alien3 too?
By Hatter313
alien yes....3.....no, I find 3 the most taxing, where at least resurrection can be a real trip sometimes.
By thewaystation
Even though I cannot match the others' wit and expertise I do enjoy our sync'd viewings a lot. So yeah, whatever, whenever.

That said, timing is even later for me in Sweden, which would make a slightly earlier start attractive, but in a way I do enjoy the start 'after the day' if that makes sense.
By Mateo Sanboval
thewaystation wrote:Even though I cannot match the others' wit and expertise.
Baloney, sir.

Chief's point on Aliens is well taken. We might all know it well enough to make it work. A:Rez could be very interesting. I really like that movie. I've said it before, but I'll say it again because I like to ruffle a feather or two from time to time; my alien hierarchy is: 1,4,2,3.

And while my mind certainly isn't closed to other films (at all, actually), an Alien film may even get a certain STBC resident Varese Sarabande collector to join in...
By Hatter313
hahahahaha

oh, feathers are ruffled sir! that ranking is an affront!

4 over 2, the nerve of some people...

I've warmed to 4 a lot over the years, but I can't condone that sort of malarky.
By Hatter313
Balderdash and hogwash too!
By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:New poll!

Round 1: choose as many as you want - top 2 will go to a shootout. I voted for all, as I'm happy to watch any of them.

http://doodle.com/poll/fb6av6ikzph9hrh3

The poll will ask for your name, but just use your STBC name.
Noted and voted. Thanks, Chief.
By Hatter313
lol they are still neck and neck.

I'm working through my semiannual carpenter festival at the moment, but rather than go in order i've been jumping around. Thus far in watching order I've hit:

Big Trouble In Little China
The Fog
Escape From New York
Ghosts Of Mars (sync)
Escape From LA
Village of the Damned
Christine
Starman

So I'll wait for the results before I go to POD and probably do Assault on Precinct 13 at the very least this weekend, perhaps squeeze in a few others.