A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Aremagod wrote:The only JCVD movie worth a Damme is Sudden Death!!
Fixed and how dare you, sir?! Messrs Woo, Henrickson, Vosloo, and Brimley would like to remind you of a certain bit of Cinema Gold known as Hard Target.

Dead Serious Cinema Tip: Watch the two most recent Universal Soldier films. They are fantastic. Directed by John Hyams, son of Peter Hyams and director of the upcoming Wrnding Refn produced Maniac Cop remake, and starring JCVD and Dolph, these are two of the best and weirdest action flicks I've seen in years. Innovative, beautifully framed and shot , and full of new ideas and some new faces as well. Great stuff.
By Hatter313
"the NWR produced remake of maniac cop"....That's quite the thought....
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:"the NWR produced remake of maniac cop"....That's quite the thought....
Here're some pertinent bits from a Bloody Disgusting interview last week where NWR talks about producing films, including Maniac Cop, Witchfinder General, and What Have You Done To Solange? Bold added to prove that NWR is almost as smart as I am.

Although Refn has arguably just made his best film as a director yet, his latest focus is on the projects he’s producing, including his upcoming Maniac Cop reimagining, which he’s attached to oversee. When asked if his version of the 1988 cult classic would be a prequel or a reboot, Refn responded with: “I think it will be its own beast, I think it’s taking the elements from the original Larry Cohen and William Lustig one, but you know, reinterpreting it through a new generation that obviously has changed and gained sensibility”. From what he says here, it seems pretty clear that his Maniac Cop will be a complete reboot of the franchise.

Although the original William Lustig independent film is set in New York, Refn’s version, with John Hyams (Universal Soldier: Regeneration and Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning) will take place in and be shot in L.A. According to Refn, the film will begin shooting this fall. The flourishing director seems thrilled to be helping another up-and-comer join the ranks of the greats. “I’m very very proud of [John Hyams] and honored to be working with him. I think his Universal Soldier film is one the best action films I’ve seen in years and years and years”.

Given recent events in the media, one might wonder if Hyams and Refn’s take on Maniac Cop might serve as some sort of commentary on modern day American society. According to Refn, it’s a very real possibility, even if they’re not entirely sure what it is that they want to say yet. “I think certainly when you’re making Maniac Cop you can make a real interesting comment on society” points out Refn. “Well I think we have to make the movie first, but I think that is one of John’s wishes, is to really reflect on what’s happening in the U.S. today”.

As for how much input he’ll have with the project, since he’ll be a producer and not the director this time around, Refn made it a point to say that he very much believes in allowing the filmmaker as much freedom as possible, and only stepping in when it is absolutely necessary. When discussing how hands on he’ll be, Refn had this to say: “As much as John needs me. You know, I think that, again, filmmaking is the director’s medium in the end, and the best thing a producer can do is stay out of the way and support the director one hundred percent. Even though you may even disagree, there can only one person that authors the film, and that is the director”.

Another upcoming producing project on Refn’s horizon is the remake of the beloved 1968 Witchfinder General. Although Refn says he still doesn’t have a director picked out or a definite date for when it will begin production, he did express that although the original film became famous for its gratuitous nature, his version won’t be all about the gore. “It really depends on the director and I haven’t found the director yet, so once I find that person I’m sure he or she will do what is necessary to bring the film into the future, but I do believe that it’s a really interesting counter culture movie and that’s why it’s still has such a hard edge to it. Because it’s not just gratuitous, it’s about something, and that’s what’s important. There has to be a thought behind an act to make it really interesting”.

Refn’s three producing projects, Witchfinder General, Maniac Cop, and What Have You Done to Solange? will all be shot in Los Angeles. Refn seems especially excited about shooting his remake of the famous Solange ‘70s giallo flick in the city he enjoys spending so much time in. “L.A. is a great mythological city and I think a movie like Solange could fit very well here”.
By Hatter313
I will happily sit through all three of those, but I'm most intrigued by witchfinder. Love me some folk horror, but Price is going to be a tough act to follow for unrestrained malice in that film.
By Mateo Sanboval
Dollarhyde wrote:Hard Target is great! Lance Henrikson (Bishop from Aliens) is so good as the bad guy in that.
Dollarhyde, I couldn't agree more, but, for me, Vosloo is the real show stealer. Well, after Brimley's Cajun accent anyhow.
By Dollarhyde
@Mateo, Yeah Vosloo is also brilliant but there is so much good about that movie. Love JCVD's character name 'Chance Boudreaux'!
By Mateo Sanboval
Dollarhyde wrote:@Mateo, Yeah Vosloo is also brilliant but there is so much good about that movie. Love JCVD's character name 'Chance Boudreaux'!
And Yancey Butler's eyebrows just acting the hell out of the place.
By Bezulsqy
A month or two ago some JCVD films were showing on Dutch television. I watched part of Sudden Impact again and Hard Target all the way through. Did not like Sudden Death at all because of the annoying children-dad relationship. Couldn't bring myself to finish it although I have seen it years ago.
Hard Target is a lot better imo. I mean: Chance Boudreaux.

Haven't seen Universal Soldier in ages. Let's go for that :-)

And for August I'm voting Death Wish 4!!!!

By deafmetal
Haven't seen Universal Soldier since the original theatrical run, but would be up for it again if the consensus builds. Only six votes received so far, so please vote if you haven't already:
http://goo.gl/forms/8y21lo0jOs33Jxfi1

It looks like a specific date/time could be forming, but we will probably need a run-off vote on all the nominated films, unless the powerful JCVD lobby really starts cracking the whip on the voting bloc.
By deafmetal
Alright, we had a couple votes for 17th July at 9:00pm UK time. I have updated the poll to see if this is feasible for the majority, and you can also see what films were recommended by the group. If you think they all suck, please write-in another one if you prefer:

http://goo.gl/forms/SjkxAgkJbnbiuwe13

This will be my final effort for a consensus for July.
By Mateo Sanboval
Thanks, Deaf! I shall exorcise my right to vote right nowish.
By deafmetal
Hey all, either summer is a terrible time to try and do something like this, or the interest is just not there. Either way, I am going to give up the effort for now. Perhaps we should just put more energy into writing about the films we are watching in the "Now Watching" thread, and keep the discussion alive that way. The sync viewings are fun, but it's always been difficult to get the big turnout without somebody like Fabio Frizzi bringing in the crowds.

@Mateo - So... Chopping Mall? I will queue it up in the near future. :-)
By Mateo Sanboval
You've got to watch Chopping Mall/Killbots, Deaf. Got. To. It's hilarious and a little endearing with a dash of nostalgia even if you, like me, didn't see the movie growing up. It has a similar feel to Night of the Comet though it isn't as good.
By Aremagod
deafmetal wrote:@Mateo - So... Chopping Mall? I will queue it up in the near future. :-)
Hey now....Chopping Mall was tied with Cabin Boy!!
By Aremagod
Would you like to buy a monkey?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Long overdue.
By chiefbrody
Potential clubbers!

@mateo planted the seed for another group viewing, of John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars, of all things. I've set up a poll to gauge interest. I know it was tough to get the numbers the last few times, but maybe if it's something we do infrequently we might be able to put the time aside.

I've set up a poll, please vote. If there's enough interest, I suggest we pull something together over the next few weeks.

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=58 ... 73665149ee
By chiefbrody
OK, we've got 6 folks interested in a sync. I'll leave it a couple more days for anyone on the fence (seems unlikely at this stage) and then set up a new poll to find a suitable date and time. I'm hoping we can find a time that suits all of us - 6 is a good number, 3 might be a bit 'quiet'.

Cheers.