A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By chiefbrody
"The Background"
Please see:
http://www.spintheblackestcircles.com/f ... film-club/

"The Rules"
1. Starting in February 2015, we will watch two movies a month, chronologically by catalogue number (subject to Rule 7, below);
2. We will start with the Death Waltz catalogue, starting with DW001 in February 2015;
3. In the first instance, we will not include RSD releases, etc, we will work through Cat #s DW001, DW002, and so on;
4. The movies should be watched within the calendar month;
5. At the start of each month, we move onto the movie, and so does the conversation;
6. Please keep posts ‘on topic’ – movie/score/both;
7. Where the score is for a seasonally-themed movie (e.g. Halloween, Christmas), we will watch the movies in the appropriate month;
8. In the event that we ‘catch up’ with the Death Waltz catalogue, we will decide where we go next (other label, RSD releases, etc). As an alternative, we can decide collectively whether to rotate labels periodically (e.g. OWS in 2016) or work through DW before moving on; and
9. It's just a bit of fun, despite there being "Rules"; let's just watch movies if/when we have the time, and if you want, spend a bit of time discussing them.

"The Schedule" (provisional)
February 2015 - Zombi 2/ZFE (DW001)
March 2015 - Escape from New York (DW002)
April 2015 - Let the Right One In (DW003)
May 2015 - Donnie Darko (DW004)
June 2015 - The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue (DW005)
July 2015 - Prince of Darkness (DW006)
August 2015 - They Live (DW009)
September 2015 - The Devil's Business (DW010)
October 2015 - Halloween II (DW007)
November 2015 - Twins of Evil (DW011)
December 2015 - Christmas Evil (DW032)

I'll try and post a reminder of the movies we're moving onto at the start of each month so that the topic gets bumped, but anyone else feel free to do so if you get there first. I don't intend on treating it like the Club is "mine", and like everyone else I might have commitments that mean I miss some months, etc. I'm not an authority on movies, scores or clubs - I was just thinking of a way to have fun watching scary movies and enjoying the records that we're all buying. I'll remove this para on 1 February.

Now that the boring stuff is out the way, let's get watching...
By philball1974
Maybe make it fortnightly (1 x DW and 1 x AN Other?)

also can we make this a top level section al la the Deep cuts threads?
By deathwaltz
I'll look at sticking it !
By jdubtxn
Looking forward to this. Such a fun list and a couple I haven't seen. I am in for more movies as well. I usually watch 2-3 movies a week currently.
By sonny
Sounds cool to me...
By Peek-a-boo
Probably not the right thread, but any links to buying/renting Zombi 2 would be much appreciated. Cheers
By philball1974
@peek-a-boo I dont have the answer for you other than check Amazon but your question raises a suggestion, maybe we could have an additional thread for film club resources where people could put links to cheap buys, streams or if its available via netflix, prime etc.
By jgibbs4053
I dont know if you have El Rey network, but keep an eye on it. They are starting to show Fulci films. I saw City of the Living Dead and NY Ripper on the guide last night
By BurningTapes
Zombi 2 and City of the Living Dead are available on iTunes HD download for £5.99, cheapest i've found in the U.K.
By Peek-a-boo
Thanks @BurningTapes that seems a fair enough price!
By chiefbrody
As we're all ignoring my request to use the other thread until Feb, I might as well join in!

I'm looking on amazon marketplace for some of the films I don't have. Some turn up quite cheap in used condition, often cheaper than renting. Just did the same thing with a few scores (Donnie Darko CD for £1.28 delivered - beats paying a tenner or more for Flac).

I thought there was a difference of opinion on whether to watch one or more movies a month. I'm in favour of a more leisurely approach, but selfishly because I've only managed to watch about 4 movies in the last 10 months due to family. When I went back to check though, it seemed only I favoured 'movie of the month'. In that case, why don't we do 2 a month, alternating DW and 'other'. DW first half of the month, keeping with the schedule in the first post, then another sequence in the second half of the month - anyone want to suggest a label?

One final suggestion - to keep the seasonal movie thing going, does anyone mind if we just watch Halloween II and III in October and Christmas Evil and SN, DN in December, and not different label titles?

By philball1974
@chiefbrody one thing you need to know about STBC is things have a tendency to go wildly off topic!! :)

By Dollarhyde
UK Folks. Zombie 2 and city of the living dead were on amazon prime video on demand a few months ago. That means for free if you have amazon prime. It should also mean if they are no longer on prime they should still be available for streaming rental.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Hey Spinners,

Okay cool - I'm going ahead and throwing something into the mix here.

For UK spinners who fancy taking part, I'm organizing a LIVE SYNC'D screening for the first title in the STBC MOVIE CLUB!

I have it all worked out, tech wise, and the date for the screening will be during Feb when the official club screening is happening.

I'm gonna also propose having some extra fun - starting a thread in MOVIES for the screening where we can drop comments LIVE during the screening!

I sincerely hope that nobody (especially @the chief, since it's his baby ;) minds me forging ahead with this cockamamy scheme. I really just think it'll be fun!

For now, so that I can clue you in on the details, and so we can throw dates/times around to settle on a compatible screening slot in Feb, email me at

filmficciones (at) gmail (dot) com

and let me know what you think!

I'm happy for those outside the UK to mail me too, but I honestly have no idea whether my tech solution (and the whole scheduling/time zone thing) will just make it way too complicated for a GLOBAL sync'd screening, but hey - maybe others want to host a screening in their territory??
By Dollarhyde
Awesome!

Can I ask disco, how are you doing this?

Maybe a sunday would be a good day.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Drop me an email if you're interested brother!
By hellorockview89
I Got Zombi 2 on blu, but I wanted to mention for U.S. Folks you can rent a SD version of the film for $2.99 or an HD version for $3.99 on Amazon. Not a bad deal.

By chiefbrody
@disco... Absolutely no problem, I think it's a great idea. Ideally we'd all be able to sync but realistically it'd never work. I hope you get a few joiners - sounds like that's a lot more effort than coming up with the list! I'd love to join but with family commitments, unlikely. I'll shoot you an email.

Looking forward to kicking this off. Anyone thought of a sequence for our alternating movies?
By DISCOSUCKS...
Good times!

Thanks @chief -- I'll see if anybody bites ;)
By philball1974
[quote=48359]I’ll see if anybody bites[/quote]

Great pun!!
By DISCOSUCKS...
^ Genuinely not intentional!

Okay cool - already had a couple of spinners interested - I shall make a new thread and post up "subscribers" to the inaugural STBC Film Club UK Sync Screening! And we can use that thread to "live chat" when the screening happens....

Can't wait to get my teeth into this!*

* intentional ;)