A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ghostfires
Sooooo I just watched Under The Skin, and absolutely loved it. It reminded me of Beyond The Black Rainbow.

Now that I've seen these two films, where both rely heavily on striking and exciting imagery with little to no dialog...what other films are out there like these!? Modern films, I should specify. I know 2001: A Space Odyssey is where they're getting the idea for sci-fi films with very little dialog...but I'm curious if there are more modern films shot the same way.

Any suggestions?
By philball1974
not scifi but Valhalla rising is essential viewing. With very little dialogue the film is carried buy the amazing imagery and that pounding Peter Peter score.

Also would recommend Duncan Jones' Moon. Which I think is one of the best films of recent years.

Of course neither film can match the striking imagery of Scarlet Johannsson
By Dollarhyde
I still haven't seen under the skin yet. One of the reasons from the trailer it looked as if it was ripping off beyond the black rainbow.

By Occhionero
Maybe not what you looking for and a very different genre is "The straight story" by David Lynch. I love this movie (and Lynch, anyway) for his quietness.
By Dollarhyde
I was going to mention eraserhead but thats not really modern.
By Dollarhyde
Second Moon, great film.
By albatard
Only God Forgives
By Dollarhyde
Matthew Barney's 5 cremaster cycle films. But these are now several years old.

Secondly they are not available at retail.

click here
By Spun out of control
A couple of films probably well known on this board already, but low on dialogue and big on visuals and music... basically modern surrealist homages to the Italian giallo movies:

AMER

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2uQWKleAzM[/video]

THE STRANGE COLOUR OF YOUR BODY'S TEARS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ1b_pdyNOs

Both by the same team: Amer is great, the second is absolutely bonkers!

For those on this board who haven't yet seen it, the short film Yellow (i.e giallo) for which DW previously released the soundtrack, is also worth tracking down - 'Dario Argento meets Drive' is a good summation:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXvYng9eSFg[/video]
By DISCOSUCKS...
Some good picks on here.....I'll add:

DAFT PUNK'S ELECTROMA
ENTER THE VOID (last 20m especially)
CELL (ignore the plot - all the weird bits!)
TREE OF LIFE
UPSTREAM COLOR (though there's plenty of narrative too...)
IMMORTAL (2004, based on Bilal)
AVALON
DANTE 01 (Marc Caro)
By soundtracks of fear
First one that popped into my mind was AMER so seconded!
By Dollarhyde
The trailer for the 'the strange colours of your body's tears' is awesome gonna have to try and watch it.

@disco

How do you rate immortal, not seen it read mixed reviews.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Ah, you got me on that one @Dollar - it's pretty much terrible I have to say! But is kinda interesting nonetheless, as it was in that first wave of post-Phantom Menace films which were combining live action and CG characters in a completely green screen environment. What's good about it is the source material - Enki Bilal, weirdo French comics guy. He's actually made a number of features based on his own graphic novels, best of which is Bunker Palace Hotel (which has more of a Terry Gilliam/Jeunet et Caro feel ;)

By phantomnoir
I highly recommend "Last Year At Marienbad" from French director Alain Resnais. An amazing piece of art.

By Dollarhyde
Thanks, not heard of bunker palace hotel.
By Hoodini
Try the Jean Rollin Movies ; a unique and surreal universe full of symbolism and vampires ; one of my favorite director !
[video]http://youtu.be/m72zLGVMtoA[/video]
By horseloverphat
This film is mindblowing...especially in its hypnotic mundanity. Minimalist dialogue and striking imagery.

Haneke, 1989

Don't expect a laugh riot though.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Soul crushing flick.

And then he topped it, with Benny's Video. I've never felt brave enough to tackle that one again!
By horseloverphat
[quote=45967]Soul crushing flick.

And then he topped it, with Benny’s Video. I’ve never felt brave enough to tackle that one again!
[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler Alert

You know what...I found Seventh Continent to be one of the most liberating films that I've ever had the chance to watch. I really enjoyed the 'money' being flushed down the toilet scene...marvellous stuff. According to Haneke, the money scene was probably the one thing that disturbed audiences the most, and I quite like that fact tbh. The closing Jennifer Rush/Power of Love scene is also mindblowing imo. It's inspired by a true story of an Austrian middle-class family that committed suicide.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lkl8sNh-C8[/video]

Haneke remarked that in today's society the idea of destroying money is more taboo than parents killing their child and themselves. (personally, I tend to agree with him)

I've got a similar attitude towards Benny's Video...I've seen it about half a dozen times and I really enjoy that too. I say enjoy....for want of a better word, of course. I always find that Haneke's films leave me with many more questions, than answers and that is something I very much like.

I don't think this would be viewed as a 'typical' attitude or response to this media, but it's mine nonetheless, perhaps there is something wrong with me? :-)