A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By DISCOSUCKS...
Hey,

I started to feel like I'd seen every really good horror movie out there, and managed to dredge a couple of golden oldies - here's a thread for jogging each other's addled memory banks!

Stay away from the obvious/ "big boys", but any suggestions for great lost/forgotten flicks that you recommend for the Season of the Witch :)

I'll kick off:

STIR OF ECHOES (1999, David Keopp)

Just re-visited this and it's mostly great stuff - must have seen it years ago, but all I remembered was Kevin Bacon's incessant digging!

Recommended!

By philball1974
Great post @Disco. I have my picks lined up for this year.

El Espinazo del diablo AKA The Devil's Backbone [2001] by Guillermo del Toro

Akmareul boatda AKA I Saw the Devil [2010] by Kim Jee-woon

Ginger Snaps [2000] by John Fawcett

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane [1976] by Nicolas Gessner

L'arcano incantatore AKA The Mysterious Enchanter AKA Arcane Sorcerer [1996] by Pupi Avati
By reelybored
Saw this recently and was impressed. Twas a nice surprise and unecpected:

The Taking of Deborah Logan

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRZPHQ2eXgY[/video]
By DISCOSUCKS...
LOVE the Lady in White! A classic.....

Currently listening to the (unofficial) score to THE GATE (Tibor Tacacs, 1987). Creepy 80s synth moods, similar to Children of the Corn in sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omArFGRtLGM

May re-watch the film later, I remember it pretty fondly from my yoof.
By tonyandrewgiles
I watched a new one last night - The Houses October Built.

A friend turned me on to it & in the void of anything remotely scary being released in the past decade or so I opt for something with a good jump scare and this one did the trick.

Handheld/found footage of a group heading to various haunted houses all over the US.
The Mrs jumped constantly and i'd give it a 3/5.
http://youtu.be/Yedl4lY9VgM
By maxvelvet
@philball: GREAT suggestion! ;) "L’arcano incantatore" it's a very atmospheric movie, I love it! So @disco, just follow this suggestion, easy! :)

I add to this list "Zeder" (by Avati), along with "The House of Laughing Windows" an italian gothic masterpiece!! ;)
By zuko
I shall be watching Beetlejuice, if that helps.
By deathwaltz
I saw that over the weekend . Turned it off after 25 minutes. , absolutely hated it!
By matowest
I revisited DRAG ME TO HELL over the weekend. So good.
By DISCOSUCKS...
^^ Absolutely! Outstanding film, and quite astonishing for a PG-13 when you think about it! Talking goat!!!

(Mind you, it's moral message is very clear - don't be a greedy, callous, cat-hammering wanker/banker, or you WILL be royally fucked...forever!! ;)
By reelybored
Love Drag me to Hell! Would love to see this released on vinyl... just saying ;-) might revisit this one tonight
By deafmetal
I thought Drag Me To Hell was excellent. Could not relate to the hate.

Not horror at all, but E.T. is a Halloween film.
By scottyboy71
I wasn't that taken with The Houses That October built. Far too long to get to anything scary and the cameras are all over the shop. I'm not bananas about a lot of these found footage films, but I did show Grave Encounters at a Haloween shindig a few years ago and it shit everyone right up.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g8FBRATbJoA[/video]
By Hatter313
Besides watching the whole Halloween series straight through every year (5, and the 2 RZs are a chore, but i do find something in all of them) and the universal canon, and the previously discussed trick r treat, i always try to watch the following before the day itself:

Something wicked this way comes (great adaptation of my favorite book, and one of THE best books about childhood ever, and the James Horner score is AWESOME)

Pumpkinhead (its called pumpkinhead, i don't care if there's nothing else halloweenish about it)

Sleepy Hollow (Burton's last good film, and that Halloween party is the one i always want to throw...someday)

any of the first 15 or so "tree house of horror" episodes (the shinning may be the best thing the Simpsons has EVER done, down to the painting above Willy's bed)

those are "my must watch before Halloween" list, i usually try to get in a "plan 9" viewing and a "Phantom of the Paradise" as well.

By DISCOSUCKS...
^^ Very cool....love all this!
By Darren LD1984
Discosucks said:
May re-watch the film later, I remember it pretty fondly from my yoof.

Sacrifyx!

I still have this on VHS

Not strictly a horror film, but American Movie is a great watch this time of year.

http://youtu.be/TSzHvRVE5uM

It gets better every time I see it
By deafmetal
Good call on the early Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes. The Shinning is a total classic.