A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Purplemule74
Scream Factory is taking pre-orders for the restored edition of Nightbreed.

There are two different versions. Here is the link for the 'collectible' one:

Nightbreed Pre-Order
By jdubtxn
As much as I want this $80 is just crazy. Hopefully I can watch it somewhere.
By ghostfires
Yeah I can't believe it's $80! And the only real worthwhile difference is a third disc?! What the hell scream factory!!??
By Purplemule74
Hey -

The link I provided is for the 'deluxe' version - The cheaper version is $24.

Here is the link for that:

Cheaper Nightbreed

I've been looking forward to this release, but I agree $80 is a lot of money for a Blu-Ray with a poster.
By monsterworship
And this is still not the Cabal cut that went around theaters last year.
By Whip Wilson
[quote=24541]And this is still not the Cabal cut that went around theaters last year.[/quote]It isn't? That's what it was being trumpeted as when they acquired and announced it last year. Do you know the differences?
By ghostfires
I've never seen the cabal cut - but isn't that suppose to be the most superior edition?
By Purplemule74
Hi -

I believe the 'Cabal Cut' is what the fan folks over at 'Occupy Midian' were calling the restored cut of the movie. In case you haven't visited it before, here is a link to their webpage:

Occupy Midian

Here is the press release from the Cliver Barker camp regarding the Shout Factory release:

"This is film history and beyond my wildest dreams of realization. When Scream Factory told me that they found the NIGHTBREED film footage I was gob-smacked! This is the ultimate validation of choices made by myself and Mark Miller [of Seraphim Films] all the way back in 2008. As we embarked down the road of attempting to track down the lost footage, we looked at each other and said, 'Maybe one day they'll find it.' It's my pleasure to announce that the day has come. Speaking personally, I didn't allow myself to believe that it would. Even if we did find some footage (which we did in 2009 in the form of heavily degraded VHS tapes) and even if we did find a company willing to release the film (which we did in 2013 with Scream Factory, God bless them) the prospect of finding the actual lost film materials was remoter than I'd wanted to admit out loud. If the footage could not be found by those who had worked closest on it the same year it had been released, then what were the odds we'd be able to find anything 20 years on? But Scream Factory, in their commendable determination, kept up the search and thanks to them total reconstruction has been made a possibility. There's never been a reconstruction that's had as little chance of succeeding and yet has succeeded on as many fronts as this film has. It's unprecedented. To now have a movie that we can put together in the way that I fully intended it to be seen when I first set out to make this film in 1989 is extraordinary. The project has moved inexorably to this conclusion. Fate and the hard work of individuals such as Mark Miller, Russell Cherrington, Phil and Sarah Stokes, Occupy Midian, Morgan Creek, and ultimately, Scream Factory have made this a possibility and I could not be happier."

...So what I think is going on is that Shout Factory is calling the Blu-ray release 'Director's Cut' instead of 'Cabal Cut'. This shouldn't have been a licensing issue, it was probably meant to try and not confuse people that haven't been following the Occupy Midian movement prior to the Blu-Ray release.

IMO, I think it would have better to have called it 'Cabal Cut'. Sounds cooler and would have drawn in the hipster crowd that supported the restored version of the film.

By Whip Wilson
Thanks for that, Purplemule. I found another article that explained things a bit further. It seems the Cabal Cut was a 160 minute version of the film where every bit of recovered footage was reinserted into the movie. The Director's Cut will be 150 minutes and is supposedly Barker's ultimate version as he has now re-edited the 160 minute film down to his "original vision."
By Purplemule74
@Mateo & Monsterworship -

Interesting as well as annoying - for the love of goodness can they just keep it down to a couple of versions? This is going to turn into another 'Blade-Runner: The Director's Real Real Cut that he liked in 2012'.

Hopefully the extra 10 minutes from the Cabal cut will make it into special features on the two new Blu-ray versions.

I have mixed feelings about Nightbreed. Most of the time I dislike the film (the old released version) because it seemed so disjointed. Hopefully with the additional scenes back in I'll enjoy the movie more. I'm a Clive Barker fan, so it would be great if I could enjoy this film version of one of his visions a little better.
By synthxanderharris
I definitely need to get the Barker version. I've always liked the film but it is definitely flawed and not exactly the bes thing in the world. I do enjoy it though and I still like Cronenberg's performance.