A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By DISCOSUCKS...
UK Spinners - this is showing on Film 4 tonight at 11.35pm.

Anyone able to snag freeview broadcasts somehow? ;)

PM me if you have the mad skills......(my current copy of the film is as p-poor as any other that I've seen, I'm curious if tonight's broadcast will look like it's from a better sourced print/transfer!)
By MODAREC
hey mate,

I've got a few versions of The Keep i can pass on to you. Got a decent Sat-TV rip, a Netflix rip and a Laserdisc. Would have to be posted out to you on a DVD-R or something.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Hey man, many thanks! Are those the torrents that are around? (I think I saw the 720 sat rip on p/bay...

I'll look into it thanks, and if I get stuck i might hit you up ;)
By Purplemule74
@Discosucks -

There are some aspects of 'The Keep' that I really like, such as when the Nazi soldiers pull the silver cross block out and reveal an incredible large cavern - cheap but powerful effects.

One thing that has always bothered me about the flick is the grainy quality to the film - I sometimes wonder if this is supposed to be atmospheric or whether it is just used crap film.

So is there supposed to be a better director's cut of The Keep floating around?
By DISCOSUCKS...
Oh it's a long n sorry tale, to be sure...I think the reason that fans of the film (with all it's faults!) are so keen to get upgrades on their existing copy of the flick (sourced from laserdisc or tv) is that it really seems very very unlikely now that we'll ever see a release of the film approved by Michael Mann. He has dismissed the film completely from his filmography, having been totally compromised into cutting his original 3hr work print into a 90 minute movie.

I guess there's the slimmest of outside chances that the workprint exists somewhere, and never-say-never eh? I mean, we got Freidkin's SORCERER finally in a director approved blu ray this year, so....who knows!
By MODAREC
@discosucks
if that private reply was meant for me, I cant read it, even when logged in. Weird.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Yeah....these private reply things suck. Just don't work, from what I can tell, ah well.

Just thanking you for the offer @MODAREC - think Im sorted on those fronts ;)

The showing last night turned out to be a very disappointing non-HD source, and worse - wasn't in full scope 2.35:1......still, ended up watching the first 45mins though, just because I got drawn in as ever :)
By Purplemule74
@Discosucks -

I've always been drawn to The Keep for some of the visual and sound effects of the movie, but I've always been frustrated by some of the odd editing choices and plot holes. I never bothered to look further into it.

It is interesting to learn the movie was originally three hours long. That explains a lot. I wonder if the director's version would have been better - sometimes I've seen the director's versions of film and have to agree with the editors instead. Three hours is a long movie and at least the edited 90 minute version is slow in spots.

If you haven't read the book, I recommend it. The book is superior to the film.