A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By siforster
Anyone else looking forward to tomorrow?
Can't remember being so excited to see a film based on a single image, Luke Insect & Kenn Goodall's poster just blew me away...

[video]http://vimeo.com/68938072[/video]

And Film 4 have just tweeted to confirm that the TV showing will have no ad breaks - so now I have the quandary of what to do when the DVD shows up in the morning...

EDIT: Have changed thread title, as discussions will no doubt turn a bit plot-revealy later on and not everyone is getting to see it tonight. Probably best kept out of if you don't want to know anything ;)
By chuck
Cant wait to see this tomorrow. Soundtrack will be released in a couple of weeks too.

"The soundtrack of A Field in England will be available on vinyl in July from Rook Films.

The set includes 2 × 180gm heavy white vinyl gatefold LP with artwork by The Twins of Evil – Luke Insect & Kenn Goodall, who also did the artwork for The Sightseers soundtrack LP. There is also an exclusive poster with brand new artwork.

The set will be strictly limited to 400 copies."

By siforster
Looks like the internet's going to break again when that goes on sale...
By chuck
i can see that happening. Yesterdays FrightFestOriginals site went down when thep put the Brain Dead prints up. Seems to be the in thing at the moment :p

Did you manage to get a copy of the Jim Williams - Sightseers Sessions lp? If thats anything to go by, then we're in for a real treat with aFiE ost.
By siforster
I didn't - I'm kind of just getting into Ben Wheatley's films (watched Kill List for the first time last night) so missed out on previous goodies...

DVD has just dropped through the letterbox, and the website's up and running fully now here with a full 'making of' doc, and it's also on 4OD now. It's all I can do to hang on until tonight.
By siforster
Brain fried, lots to think about :)
By ifots
OK elephant in the room time ...
I'm gona be the first one to say I DIDNT LIKE IT.
It felt clunky,rushed and a bit naff. Im beyond disappointed ! had high hopes...

Mind you i did not like down terrace or sightseers either, maybe he got lucky with Lill list?

Will buy the score but not the movie.
By chuck
I have to watch it again very soon. I can agree with ifots on this, it did seem a little clunky, a bit more like sketches pieced together. But I can't help thinking that was the effect they were going for. I thought the dialogue was well scripted, i really enjoyed the use of ye olde English.

But I was really tired too, which didn't help matters. I'd like to watch it again.
By siforster
Gonna sit through the DVD later on. I did enjoy the film last night, although I say that from the viewpoint that I thought it was scripted, acted and shot beautifully - the B&W really helped there.
It did remind me a lot of the 1968 Whistle And I'll Come To You, which also looked lovely and left me with a feeling of "eh?" at the end of it. I do like films that require a bit of rewatching and thought to get the most out of it (Berberian Sound Studio does this well), but I can't help but feel that there isn't that much else in there. Still, the bits I liked I really enjoyed and the bits I didn't were short-lived. Not made my mind up about the Police Squad! bits though...

EDIT: Hmm. Dunno if anything's mentioned in the commentary, but after a chat with a friend about watching this, I've been given a couple of pointers that might help to understand it better. Will let you know if it works :)
By deathwaltz
Ben is 4 for 4 with me . This and Only God Forgives are the absolute films to beat for the rest of the year. Perfect use of Blanck Mass and just fantastic, I have seen this three times already and there is so much to go back too I will be visting it again soon.
By kissoffboardy
I know this was a marmite film (I loved it), but the US poster is definitely cooler than a yeti's testicles.