A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By fanboy
I happened to see this will be playing at my local indie theater starting on July 12th. I thought some of you here would find it interesting, if you haven't already seen it. The showings here will also be playing Suspiria or Four Flies on Grey Velvet during the opening weekend.

[video]http://youtu.be/GlNCiGVQsd0[/video]
By siforster
I absolutely love this film! The soundtrack's a pearler too.
By MiloLovecraft
I can't wait to see it! Looks great. Anyone know why it's release date is different depending on location? Because it's already been released in the UK, but it hasn't been released in North America yet.
By siforster
IFC Midnight has the US rights to the film, although it does seem to be very limited and they only seem to be showing it digitally until September 12th - link here.

As much as I love the film, it must be a sod to sell, which is why releases are thin on the ground: it divides opinion completely, and it's really quite difficult to say why I like it so that would sell it to an audience - it's a film without conventional narrative (or conclusion), and the focus of the film's plot revolves around the making of a film that - title sequence apart, courtesy of Julian House - we never get to see.
That said, it's ideal for DVD (the Director's Commentary is very illuminating) which makes it a bit of a surprise that one isn't available Stateside :/

By fishead
struck me as a weird sort of sound designer Schizopolis... mesmerizing, and I really wasn't sure what to make of it... but I'm sure I'll watch it again (and again!)...
By palmat
I liked the movie quite a bit, eventhough the third reel sadly went nowhere. The soundtrack on the other hand is pure gold.
By Ubik
I enjoyed the film greatly, spent a good deal of time turning it over in my head after I’d seen it. I’ve seen it twice now and I do think there’s a clear narrative if you're willing to unpick it a bit.

I thought the scene where Francesco feeds Gilderoy the Olive was key to the strange narrative 'flip' in the third act of the film. He says something along the lines of 'everything will be different now'. Gilderoy undergoes a change, and almost becomes party to the cruelty of the film and the chauvinistic behaviour that goes on in the studio. It's a slow transformation from innocence to him becoming more worldly and 'polluted' by the material he's working on. At least that's how I saw it. I love it spirals out from total isolation to something else… what I’m not sure!

I’d love to see it with the directors commentary, but it one of those films where you can come up with your own meaning. I like that in any art, whereby the viewer is left to make his own mind up.

It's a wonderful and creative film. As everyone has mentioned, brilliant soundtrack too.
By siforster
The commentary's really good as he doesn't reveal anything directly, but sort of gently pushes people in a certain direction with a couple of little comments. I think he also mentions that the ST's tracklisting provides a hint or two as well.
By deathwaltz
Amazing film !
By fluppeco
Just saw this film and I liked it. Captures the 70s analog time perfectly. also hot italian women is always a plus. I'll have to tell the soundguys at the studio were I work about this film. They'll go nuts with all the technical references. I though the music and soundscape in general were excellent which is what is expected of a film about a sound studio.