A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Infested.
French horror about killer spiders.
Excellent!
Attachments
IMG_2447.jpeg
IMG_2447.jpeg (802.54 KiB) Viewed 487 times
By ScoJo
Introduced my gf to this masterpiece, since she’s on such an Eastwood kick

BCC30498-F9BA-4A73-B2E7-0155163AE46B.png
BCC30498-F9BA-4A73-B2E7-0155163AE46B.png (1.78 MiB) Viewed 486 times
By Bezulsqy
^ haven’t seen that one… and actually don’t think I remember knowing about that one.

I am watching Nicolas Cage before the big attraction at midnight.
Attachments
IMG_2450.jpeg
IMG_2450.jpeg (393.09 KiB) Viewed 485 times
By ScoJo
I haven’t really seen the gf properly in about a month, and I’ve been saving watching the Phantom of the Paradise fan edit as I was pretty sure she would enjoy it (although I’ve been wrong many times before…) I’ve had a pretty good run of getting some DePalma’s past her of late, Untouchables, Blow Out.

Well tonight was the night - and she loved it. So much so that she has put it in her top 10 with a bullet, and is clearly hungry for more BDP!

Thinking Carlito’s Way and Snake Eyes next. Certainly not Dressed to Kill or Body Double haha (his perviest films by a mile)
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:34 pm I haven’t really seen the gf properly in about a month, and I’ve been saving watching the Phantom of the Paradise fan edit as I was pretty sure she would enjoy it (although I’ve been wrong many times before…) I’ve had a pretty good run of getting some DePalma’s past her of late, Untouchables, Blow Out.

Well tonight was the night - and she loved it. So much so that she has put it in her top 10 with a bullet, and is clearly hungry for more BDP!

Thinking Carlito’s Way and Snake Eyes next. Certainly not Dressed to Kill or Body Double haha (his perviest films by a mile)
I loved Carlito’s Way and Snake Eyes. The latter is the easier of the two of course. But Carlito is brilliant.
By ScoJo
She isn’t a horror gal so Sisters, Carrie and The Fury are out. I’ll stick with crime/conspiracy thrillers. Maybe Obsession! Part of me wants to give Mission to Mars a go - I basically love that film, but never met another living soul that didn’t at least dislike if not loathe!
By ScoJo
This is why filmmakers can’t always be trusted with their own legacy.

Like Friedkin saying ‘If I made (Insert Perfect 70s Movie) today, I would do it all with C-G-I’

6F2CE6E2-98DC-4F6E-88EB-EA8D269D7AD8.jpeg
6F2CE6E2-98DC-4F6E-88EB-EA8D269D7AD8.jpeg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 400 times
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:52 am This is why filmmakers can’t always be trusted with their own legacy.

Like Friedkin saying ‘If I made (Insert Perfect 70s Movie) today, I would do it all with C-G-I’

Well said, @ScoJo. I am curious what part of Friedkin's (and others) sentiments are due to either being constrained by fx budgets and/or direct negotiation with fx teams who said something like "we can't do that". Either way, I still don't want CGI.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:45 pm She isn’t a horror gal so Sisters, Carrie and The Fury are out. I’ll stick with crime/conspiracy thrillers. Maybe Obsession! Part of me wants to give Mission to Mars a go - I basically love that film, but never met another living soul that didn’t at least dislike if not loathe!
I don't hate Mission to Mars. I enjoyed it when I saw it in theaters. Can't say I love it as I haven't returned to it but definitely didn't hate it either
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:47 pm
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:52 am This is why filmmakers can’t always be trusted with their own legacy.

Well said, @ScoJo. I am curious what part of Friedkin's (and others) sentiments are due to either being constrained by fx budgets and/or direct negotiation with fx teams who said something like "we can't do that". Either way, I still don't want CGI.
Exactly. These are far from dumb people of course, and comments like this are obviously rooted in some creative frustration or other. It’s perfectly understandable - like Lynch switching gleefully to digital shooting after decades of sitting impatiently watching people slowly moving and setting up film lights on set. But invariably such comments serve to highlight that the filmmaker seems either unaware (or uncaring) of the specific qualities of their work which draw viewers back to them again and again. It’s an interesting, and frustrating, phenomena!
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:17 am
ScoJo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:45 pm She isn’t a horror gal so Sisters, Carrie and The Fury are out. I’ll stick with crime/conspiracy thrillers. Maybe Obsession! Part of me wants to give Mission to Mars a go - I basically love that film, but never met another living soul that didn’t at least dislike if not loathe!
I don't hate Mission to Mars. I enjoyed it when I saw it in theaters. Can't say I love it as I haven't returned to it but definitely didn't hate it either
I’ve found that the third act generally puts a bad taste in people’s mouths, so much that it ruins any enjoyment to be had from the rest of the film. Funnily enough considering the other convo going on here, I put this down to reaction to dated early 2000s CGI as much as to the film’s swing into sentimentality. But damn - whatever their beef, people just need to clam up and let that incredible Morricone score work it’s magic!
By bpwlogan
I think Snake Eyes was his last really good film and one of his best IMHO. I saw Mission to Mars in the theater and was pretty disappointed with that and The Black Dahlia was a total snooze fest. One of my favorites is Raising Cain kind of one of those so bad its good movies; I still need to watch the fan edit that was released a few years back and that original movie poster is the best.
By ScoJo
bpwlogan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:18 pm
I think Snake Eyes was his last really good film and one of his best IMHO. I saw Mission to Mars in the theater and was pretty disappointed with that and The Black Dahlia was a total snooze fest. One of my favorites is Raising Cain kind of one of those so bad its good movies; I still need to watch the fan edit that was released a few years back and that original movie poster is the best.
Big thumbs up on the fan edit!

I know for 100% certainty that the gf wouldn’t stand for that movie’s nonsense 😂
By deafmetal
I remember being very excited to go see Mission to Mars and convincing my group of friends to head to theater with me. I have not thought about that film much at all in the last 20+ years since that viewing.
By ScoJo
I am truly alone in my love for it. As well as that year’s other big Mars movie, Red Planet.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:38 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:54 pm Image
What did you think of this one?
Really like it. Mainly because of the insane acting from the woman who played the aunt.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:39 pm
inksb wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:38 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:54 pm Image
What did you think of this one?
Really like it. Mainly because of the insane acting from the woman who played the aunt.
The legendary Susan Tyrell. One of SJs favourite actors - see Fat City for a miracle performance-in-a-million. She was romantically involved with Herve Villechaise for a good while - what a power couple!!