A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:55 pm Image

Scream VI dir by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin & Tyler Gillett (Radio Silence)

Did you like Scream 5? You'll probably like 6. Did you hate Scream 5? Then you probably won't like this one. I enjoyed 5 even though I had some issues with it. Part 6 opens with my favorite young "scream queen" Samara Weaving meeting her end quite quickly in a callback/twist with a bit too many on the nose references for my taste (in case you guys didn't know the folks who wrote the film love horror movies, just love them). We basically get Jason Takes Manhattan'ed here. The film takes place in NYC but is kind of just shot in 4 main locations, a college, apartment, old theater and park. There's only two real indicators that you're in NYC, the subway scene and a bodega scene. The film does not shy away from the violence, they revel in making you squirm. The actress playing Sam is less of a wooden board this time around and has some actual emotion. Jenna was great and probably the best character in the movie (again), it was fun to see Hayden return as Kirby even though she shot her face so full of botox I couldn't stop looking at her immobilized face. Most of the side characters were pretty good. The killer was not too hard to guess but I will say part of the reveal I didn't see coming. It's a fun continuation of the franchise and I recommend it if you were a fan of the last one. I had a blast watching it in the theaters even though there were maybe 7 people in there total.
I am curious for this one. Scream 5 is a bit of a blur for me. It might rewatch it prior to a viewing of part 6. Maybe I was very tired and couldn't concentrate well enough but my memory felt part 5 was boring.
By Hatter313
I've yet to be mad at a scream movie. 3 is still my least favorite of them but i still thinks it fun flick and i don't skip it when i go through them, enjoyed this very much for sure.
By Bezulsqy
A pretty obscure giallo. Filmed in 1965 but released in 1968.

Brunello Rondi's 1968 Più tardi Claire, più tardi… a.k.a. Run, Psycho, Run
score by Giovanni Fusco

By Bezulsqy
Not yet watching but wanted your opinion about this.

Apocalypse Now.
I have only seen the theatrical version many years ago and have been postponing a rewatch forever.

After a quick search online I see Redux is hated but that many flaws from Redux were 'fixed' in the Final Cut.

So if I am going to rewatch Apocalypse Now: should I go for the Final Cut (in 4K) or the Theatrical one? At the moment I am putting my money on The Final Cut.
By inksb
I'm not an Apocalypse Now expert at all but I think there's value in watching the Final Cut and Theatrical. I don't think I've ever seen Redux though. I think I prefer the Theatrical but I really don't revisit that film very often.
By Hatter313
I like most of the Final Cut except for the sequence at the plantation, I think it slows the film to a crawl and was my issue with the redux as well (unless the Final Cut removed it again? I’m getting confused as I type this)

Anyway, theatrical is my go to for this. I remember when my dad got a surround sound system this was the first thing I watched and wow let me tell you those helicopters were coming from miles back.
By deafmetal
Excellent time for a fresh viewing:

Also, fond memories of JC and the boys belting out the title theme for this live on stage. Highlight of the evening for sure.
By inksb

Servant

I had a friend praising this show for months and finally decided to give it a go. For the most part I enjoyed it, it had plenty of issues but the cast was great and the story was pretty entertaining to watch unfold. Season 4, the final season, was absolutely awful though not sure what they were going for. It felt like they had 3 episodes of a true conclusion to the series but had to write 7 other episodes to fluff it up a bit to just get there. Ep 8 was such a whiplash tone shift from the shit before it to be back in line with the first few seasons, it was refreshing and nice to finish out the series true to the rest of it. Lauren Ambrose absolutely killed it in the first 3 seasons, she's horrifying, portraying a woman who is broken but also so damn self centered. It's impressive and probably the best role I've ever seen her in (and I loved her in Six Feet Under)
By Bezulsqy
Watching the Final Cut in 4K and Atmos
Now have it paused at the 53 minute mark. Total runtime 181 minutes.

The sound is incredible. First time watching it with a decent surround set. I believe I have only seen this movie once or twice with the last time being more than 15 years ago. Masterpiece of movie making.

I am going to make a coffee and love the smell of that in the evening.

By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:41 pm Watching the Final Cut in 4K and Atmos
Now have it paused at the 53 minute mark. Total runtime 181 minutes.

The sound is incredible. First time watching it with a decent surround set. I believe I have only seen this movie once or twice with the last time being more than 15 years ago. Masterpiece of movie making.

I am going to make a coffee and love the smell of that in the evening.

Quick funny AN story: I remember in the very early days of DVD and I got myself a player. Whoop whoop, let’s go! So I went to my local Blockbuster to find something that would really befit this new format with great picture and sound. While i was looking I bumped into my *very hot* ex-gf and her new guy, who it turns out were on the same mission: they also had just bought a player! So we had a quick convo about being excited to choose the perfect thing to experience this brand new home video format, and I left them to it.

After a massive amount of searching and pondering and weighing up, I ended up choosing Apocalypse Now. I mean, fuck yeah. Let’s go.

So I go to the counter and girly and her potato are both there having also chosen: Season 1 of Men Behaving Badly.

At the time I thought it was the funniest thing ever.
By Hatter313
AN was one of my first blurays and one of my first 4ks. it really is THE film to test a new format on.

although i suppose Men Behaving Badly has its charms.
By ScoJo
Rare outing to the flicks, my sister dragged me to see something called Dungeons and Dragons.

Guys, fun movie!
By NathanLurker
ScoJo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:52 pm Rare outing to the flicks, my sister dragged me to see something called Dungeons and Dragons.

Guys, fun movie!
My brother is dragging me to see it tonight. I have zero expectation.
By deafmetal
NathanLurker wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:09 pm
ScoJo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:52 pm Rare outing to the flicks, my sister dragged me to see something called Dungeons and Dragons.

Guys, fun movie!
My brother is dragging me to see it tonight. I have zero expectation.
Kid begged me to take her to see this yesterday. Silly, fun times. Plenty of fan service for my jaded self to nod along with; Forgotten Realms/Faerûn, all the cities/towns/location names, Harpers, Wizards of Thay, etc. Teenage me really enjoyed all of this. Also, there is a tribute to the 1980’s cartoon characters that had me in disbelief at what I was seeing on the screen. Of course, my dumbass thinks a srs bsns D&D gore/horrorfest would be ideal, but then my kid wouldn’t be there next to me now saying “I loved it”.
By inksb
Creepshow 4K has been announced by Scream Factory. I will be upgrading to that eventually even though the blu is really nice

June 27

By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:27 pm Creepshow 4K has been announced by Scream Factory. I will be upgrading to that eventually even though the blu is really nice

June 27

Already ordered. It’s my favorite King movie, second favorite Romero. Few things better than Creepshow
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:16 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:27 pm Creepshow 4K has been announced by Scream Factory. I will be upgrading to that eventually even though the blu is really nice

June 27

Already ordered. It’s my favorite King movie, second favorite Romero. Few things better than Creepshow
It's a shame because the bluray box is so nice. I guess I could drop the 4K in there and swap out the blu :)

Either way I'm buying it. I just ordered the standard edition of Martin from Diabolik for $30. I didn't feel the need to buy the $50 limited edition. Waiting on the standard edition of Cauldron's City of the Living Dead 4K to go up for sale as that was another one I want to upgrade but just didn't want to spend $50 on a fancy edition.
By Bezulsqy
Pasquale Squitieri's 1975 L'ambizioso a.k.a. The Climber
score by Franco Campanino

By ScoJo
Started a full rewatch of Miami Vice for the first time since the 80s. Looking forward to seeing some favourites again!

c1d2cb7e4e081471af10f6a1b914a7bd.gif
c1d2cb7e4e081471af10f6a1b914a7bd.gif (655.27 KiB) Viewed 819 times
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:21 am Started a full rewatch of Miami Vice for the first time since the 80s. Looking forward to seeing some favourites again!

This sounds like a tremendous idea. Where can you watch these? Streaming somewhere?
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:22 pm
ScoJo wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:21 am Started a full rewatch of Miami Vice for the first time since the 80s. Looking forward to seeing some favourites again!

This sounds like a tremendous idea. Where can you watch these? Streaming somewhere?
I have Prime and all seasons are currently free on the Freevee channel there. Hurry and catch up, I’m only on Ep 3 ;-)
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:13 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:22 pm

I have Prime and all seasons are currently free on the Freevee channel there. Hurry and catch up, I’m only on Ep 3 ;-)
I will join you but not tonight. Maybe later in the week.
Tonight John Wick 3 and some horror from 1980 (probably The Changeling - never seen that one before)
By Hatter313
The changeling is a top 5 haunted house movie