A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By thewaystation
9.30 UK is fine for me, too.
By freshoj
I hope to join as well!
By Spun out of control
Quick update guys - Fabio (Frizzi) has tweeted that he hopes to join in tomorrow night...!!

Just confirming with him that 9.30pm UK time means 10.30pm in Italy (any Italian/mainland Europe members feel free to correct me if wrong)

A result if he is able to join in...
By DISCOSUCKS...
Guys -- I've posted some tweets about the screening to see if we can draw a bigger crowd. I'll send some label peeps messages too, including Mr Death Waltz.

See you tomorrow, fingers crossed that Il Maestro Fabio can join in, he really brought the party for Zombi 2!
By chiefbrody
@spun
@disco

Great stuff. Thanks for making the extra effort for the screening. I've not seen the film, so looking forward to the sync.
By Spun out of control
Have offered to post Maestro Fabio's tweets here during the screening as Spencer did previously for ZFE and sent link to movie - if I recall for ZFE, he ended up watching the YouTube version with us. ;)

Nice one @Disco with the tweets.
By DISCOSUCKS...
@chief - you've not seen it??

Hooo boy......

By DISCOSUCKS...
I have the horrible feeling that I've told this story before on the forum, but here goes (very short version...)

The first time I saw it was around 15/16, my folks are out, my sister's over at a friend's dressing up like teenage whore Madonnas...and I rent out COTLD on vhs.

Halfway thru the movie, lights all off to get full atmosphere, I'm scared shitless. Then I start to hear the weirdest noises coming from the back of the house. I think I'm imagining things, keep watching....but there's definitely scratching and bumping noises coming from the kitchen! Completely freaked out, I creep thru the house and discover that someone is trying to open the back door - from the outside!!

I'll be absolutely honest and say that I don't remember what happened after that, or what I did at that point, but the upshot is that someone was evidently trying to break in that night and I never saw the second half of the movie. Pretty sure I still haven't. It's like a Pavlov's Dog situation - the mere thought of COTLD and my whole body gets clammy and tense, like there's an approaching thunderstorm.

See you tomorrow night guys! And whatdoyouknow - my GF is away at a music festival so yep, I'll be watching the fucking thing alone.

By thewaystation
Ha, @disco, that's even more reason not to pass out during the build-up this time ;)
Thanks to everyone going the extra mile to make this special!
By chiefbrody
@disco, nope, not seen it. Half the reason for my suggestion for the club in the first place was that I was listening to so many scores without having seen the films.

I hope you get to see the whole film tomorrow!
By DISCOSUCKS...
@thewaystation - agh...thanks for reminding me.

By deafmetal
Unreal story, @disco. I am both concerned and excited for you. Another lights-off viewing? ;) Also, a first viewing for @chiefbrody!

Would be great if Maestro Frizzi provides some live tweets. Thanks for setting this up.
By Dollarhyde
Will be up for the sync too. I've only seen it once but absolutely love it!

By chiefbrody
Another enjoyable sync last night. Maybe fewer joined than in the past, but plenty of contributions and the presence of the Maestro himself made up for it.

We might as well keep momentum going and kick off nominations for the next sync. As before, once we have three nominations, we'll start voting for July's film. Get nominating!

I probably won't make the next one, or maybe the next couple, as I start a new job (bleary eyed Mondays might not be the best start), and we have a new arrival in the family expected in the next 4-6 weeks (bleary eyes will be an inevitability EVERY day!). I'll keep track of the noms and voting for the next sync, but is someone able to take over once the film, date and time is agreed for July, and the noms/voting for the following sync?
By Spun out of control
@chief.... unless anyone else has a strong desire, can volunteer to hold your film club baby for a viewing (or two) whilst your hands are full with your own real-life off-spring and new job .... congrats on both.

Not sure why the audience wasn't as big this time, especially when we had Maestro Frizzi's 11th hour support - perhaps the movie wasn't so much of a pop cultural entity as say an Escape from New York or Halloween. Nevertheless COTLD was still just as enjoyable I think for those who took part! ;)

Though personally I love the Italian or Euro movies & scores, perhaps the next one should be something like Phantasm ...or a movie tied into a newer release that seems to have got people particularly excited lately?

As you say, let's throw it out there....
By deafmetal
Since I seem to be having difficulty lately making the screenings (or calculating UK Time), I will refrain from suggesting dates/times. That said, I will do everything I can to make the screenings. Even reading through the chat thread after the fact was fun last night.
By chiefbrody
@spun, thanks (on all counts). It's become a monthly ritual that I look forward to now, I hope it continues and to join once things calm down a bit.

Agreed - it would be good if we ended up with a good mix of films between those that are still pretty cult and others that we've all seen many times. As you say though, even the smaller sync was worthwhile, and the twitter Q&A was excellent - the Maestro and his daughter were generous with their time.

I applaud @deaf's commitment to 'watch' the sync on delay!
By deafmetal
Phantasm has to be a top pick after the success of the Mondo/DW reissue. The film is phantastic!
By chiefbrody
We only have one nomination so far for next month - Phantasm. Anyone got any other suggestions? If there's nothing over the next couple of days I'll assume Phantasm it is and throw out the dates for availability.

Cheers
By Dollarhyde
I vote phantasm too. Have yet to see the movie or hear the score, though I have that sci fi horror comp, with the tourist trap cover, that has a couple of tracks from it on.

I have seen Phantasm 2 which I really enjoyed even though it made zero sense, someone should reissue the score so it can be nominated :)