A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:35 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:36 am 15. The Company of Wolves (1984)

This was very interesting. Felt really outdated at first but the effects are stellar.

This is a special movie.

Outdated is an interesting word, i never use it for art of any kind because of course it will be. timelessness is a hard trick to pull off and some reflection of style of the time is always gonna be evident. besides, we collect vinyl film scores of old horror films, BRING THE DATEDNESS ON
https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2023/m ... -of-wolves
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:24 am

This was very interesting. Felt really outdated at first but the effects are stellar.

This is a special movie.

Outdated is an interesting word, i never use it for art of any kind because of course it will be. timelessness is a hard trick to pull off and some reflection of style of the time is always gonna be evident. besides, we collect vinyl film scores of old horror films, BRING THE DATEDNESS ON
https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2023/m ... -of-wolves
Thanks @ScoJo
Very interesting read and it does change my perception of the movie a bit.
@Hatter
I agree on your comment about me using the word outdated. It had to do more with the setting and the look (soft focus?) and Angela Lansbury. The movie as a whole isn't outdated. It is a very original and well made movie especially considering the budget. You feel the passion all through out.
However, I do think there is art/design that is timeless and a lot is not. But in the end there is no discussing taste :-)
By Hatter313
it is interesting how soft the movie is, but i also know that SOME of that has been the various video transfers for sure. i have the 4k here, maybe i'll finally throw that in tonight and see how it really cleaned up.

Shocking to me the Landbury only died last year, sghe seemed like she was at the end of her days for decades, hair and makeup and attitude mostly i guess but still.

I just saw the broadway revival of sweeney todd over the weekend and it was amazing to see someone make her role really thier own in a way i hadn't seen before.
By EvanCampbell
Bez you would be a hell of an asset to a research team i get the feeling. Fun watching you dive into these categories. So many memories from these posts.
By EvanCampbell

This is a special movie.

Hatter13 this is a great point!
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:16 pm 20. Wolf (1994)

I had never seen this one before. Really liked it. Great score by Morricone.

Let’s go! I fucking love this film. So weird and funny, heh… and yet it seems to be universally hated.
By Hatter313
Seconding Wolf, what a cool interesting movie. Top talent all around, behind and in front of the camera. Excellent score by Morricone, everything plays juuuust on the edge of full camp and yeah for some reason, maybe that, it didn’t click with most people but I adore it.
By Bezulsqy
21. Bad Moon (1996)

This was very much a 1996 horror flick... It started out interesting, but it ended up to be dull and with not the best of effects... Best part was the running time.

Out with nineties and into to noughties with the next one!
By inksb
I actually like Bad Moon, it's been a while since I watched it but I believe the directors cut edits the bad transformation down, you don't see the awful effects they tried. It's not a great film but a pretty enjoyable low budget 90's werewolf flick.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:07 pm I actually like Bad Moon, it's been a while since I watched it but I believe the directors cut edits the bad transformation down, you don't see the awful effects they tried. It's not a great film but a pretty enjoyable low budget 90's werewolf flick.
Aha. I watched the DC cut. I did like the German Shepard Troy! But the actors...
By Bezulsqy
I am not counting this one as it ended up having nothing to do with Lycanthropes...
It was very good, however!

By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:07 pm I actually like Bad Moon, it's been a while since I watched it but I believe the directors cut edits the bad transformation down, you don't see the awful effects they tried. It's not a great film but a pretty enjoyable low budget 90's werewolf flick.
I genuinely love the effects in this movie, great looking werewolf even if the transformation is whatever.
By Hatter313
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:28 am I am not counting this one as it ended up having nothing to do with Lycanthropes...
It was very good, however!

I love this movie but yeah
By Bezulsqy
I has been a while. Around ten more to go...

23. Ginger Snaps (2000)

This was better than I expected.

By inksb
I love Ginger Snaps! When it came out I was constantly singing it's praise, trying to get my friends to watch it. I like part 2 and 3 as well but they are not as good as the first one.
By Bezulsqy
25. Van Helsing

This was not a good movie...

(I cannot post images using imgur anymore... I get an error message that it is not possible to determine the dimensions of the image, but I know the link is correct. I even tried copying the link to the images in my post 24. Ginger Snaps...)
So here are the bigger image files.
Attachments
IMG_7541.jpeg
IMG_7541.jpeg (553.14 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
IMG_7547.jpeg
IMG_7547.jpeg (245.61 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
By Bezulsqy
26. Dog Soldiers (2002)

I really liked this one.
Attachments
IMG_7566.jpeg
IMG_7566.jpeg (272.69 KiB) Viewed 1609 times