A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
I enjoyed the cheeky Coupe de Villes LP easter egg in the new Halloween flick.

Will be interesting to chat about the movie once some of you have caught it.

‘Interesting’ being the word, for sure……

🤐
By vinyljunkie
ScoJo wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:28 pm I enjoyed the cheeky Coupe de Villes LP easter egg in the new Halloween flick.

🤐
I thought it was hilariously bad with some gruesome kills -- missed the Coupe easter egg! Where/when???

If you're a Velvet Underground fan, the new Haynes docu is fantastic!
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:28 pm I enjoyed the cheeky Coupe de Villes LP easter egg in the new Halloween flick.

🤐
I’ve never seen a more obvious “middle chapter” movie. It had some great stuff but some real strange plot and character choices.

I wouldn’t call it hilariously bad in the least, but wildly uneven for sure, and I wonder how it will play once we get a full story next year. I enjoyed it, but definitely said “hmmm” more than a few times. I thought the flashback stuff was largely great, and the plethora of Easter eggs were certainly fun (that one in particular indeed!) but it suffered most obviously to me from a need to drag things out in order to set up a final film next year, and perhaps whatever story they wanted would have been better served as a two partner as this came off as filler.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:09 am

🤐
I’ve never seen a more obvious “middle chapter” movie. It had some great stuff but some real strange plot and character choices.

I wouldn’t call it hilariously bad in the least, but wildly uneven for sure, and I wonder how it will play once we get a full story next year. I enjoyed it, but definitely said “hmmm” more than a few times. I thought the flashback stuff was largely great, and the plethora of Easter eggs were certainly fun (that one in particular indeed!) but it suffered most obviously to me from a need to drag things out in order to set up a final film next year, and perhaps whatever story they wanted would have been better served as a two partner as this came off as filler.
This.
By Bezulsqy
As @Hatter mentioned already: I also said 'hmmm' a bunch of times.

I agree with the review from Empire Online:
“Evil dies tonight!” shout the stoked-up Haddonfield residents as they take up arms — at one point there is a literal pitchfork — to track down boogeyman incarnate Michael Myers. Unfortunately, evil isn’t the only thing dying in David Gordon Green’s film, the 12th instalment in the series and a follow-up to his 2018 Halloween. Also stumbling to a shallow grave are logical behaviour, winning characters, tension, style and any understanding of what makes John Carpenter’s 1978 classic so special.
By chiefbrody
Hate to agree with the general sentiment here, but I found it extremely patchy. It upped the gruesome factor, but in all other ways inferior to 2018. There were some nice geek-references, but it made me cringe a few times, in a way that only 'get back inside, I'm a doctor' (paraphrased) did in 2018. What is it about Haddonfield that medical professionals believe they have public order authority?!

I hope 'Ends' is better. It's weird in a way that somehow knowing there's another film lowered the stakes in this one, even though with any Halloween film (except 3) you're expecting some sort of resurrection anyway.
By inksb
Here are the things I liked about Halloween Kills:

The score
Brutal kills
Judy Greer having a decent scene only to be severely disappointed moments later

Things I disliked

Dialog
Most of the plot (script for this film was bad)
Original "actors"
The editing
The "comeback" scene at the end (who fucking thought this was a good idea?)
People who think you need to stand 2 feet away from Michael before they can pull the trigger (so he can knock the gun out of their hand obviously!)
Pretty much all of the cast (except Judy & Jamie)
The fact that this very much felt the like "middle" movie of a trilogy
The runtime. This movie had no right to be more than 90 minutes long. there was so much fluff, it could have easily been cut down.

I completely missed the Coupe De Villes reference, any one care to elaborate?
By inksb
Curious to see what you think of that one @bez. I watched it last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. Jeff Fahey is great in it.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:34 pm Here are the things I liked about Halloween Kills:

The score
Brutal kills
Judy Greer having a decent scene only to be severely disappointed moments later

Things I disliked

Dialog
Most of the plot (script for this film was bad)
Original "actors"
The editing
The "comeback" scene at the end (who fucking thought this was a good idea?)
People who think you need to stand 2 feet away from Michael before they can pull the trigger (so he can knock the gun out of their hand obviously!)
Pretty much all of the cast (except Judy & Jamie)
The fact that this very much felt the like "middle" movie of a trilogy
The runtime. This movie had no right to be more than 90 minutes long. there was so much fluff, it could have easily been cut down.

I completely missed the Coupe De Villes reference, any one care to elaborate?
I found the return of Chambers and Brackett the most underwhelming, I actually the though the idea of Tommy Doyle being that kind of guy as an adult was solid and felt true to me as a small town townie myself, (although shoehorning Lonnie in there the way they did felt off), and lyndsey was fine if a little underused, but Chambers should have been positioned as more of a Loomis surrogate, and Brackett should have been positioned as more of an elder statesman figure or even MORE broken sort of hermity guy that comes out now that Michael is back. HE would have been better as as the sort of crazy spark that riles things up rather than Tommy (trying to be vague) , but the idea of a well respected and likely celebrated sheriff being what he was and where he was in this didn't ring true at all to me. There was a way to do this exact story and this wasn't quite it.

Inks, go watch the talent show scene again :D
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:52 pm Curious to see what you think of that one @bez. I watched it last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. Jeff Fahey is great in it.
Yes, I really liked it. I had seen it before but can't remember when. Probably beginning of the 2000s.

The nineties aren't too bad for me so far... Child's Play 3 wasn't even that bad.
Exorcist III DC is on top for me.
I'll make a list when I am around 1994.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:18 pm Inks, go watch the talent show scene again :D
Oh man I totally was not paying attention to that at all. Thanks haha.
By Bezulsqy
From wikipedia:
The Resurrected (also known as The Ancestor and Shatterbrain)[1] is a 1991 American horror film directed by Dan O'Bannon, and starring John Terry, Jane Sibbett, Chris Sarandon and Robert Romanus. It is an adaptation of the H. P. Lovecraft novella The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Originally intended for a theatrical release, the film was shown at various film festivals before being released direct-to-video in 1992.

Score by Richard Band.
This was not a bad movie at all although a bit slow.
By inksb
I enjoyed that one as well @bez. It's been a few years. I'm glad there's finally a bluray of it out there. When I watched it I think all that was available was DVD and HDTV rip.

The Siren Dir by Perry Blackshear

Thanks @scojo for this recommendation. I really enjoyed watching this. A beautifully shot (most of the time) little indie film with some fantastic music/score that elevates the emotional beats. An interesting concept that was executed really well. Highly recommended. I can't wait to check out his previous film.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:39 pm I enjoyed that one as well @bez. It's been a few years. I'm glad there's finally a bluray of it out there. When I watched it I think all that was available was DVD and HDTV rip.

The Siren Dir by Perry Blackshear

Thanks @scojo for this recommendation. I really enjoyed watching this. A beautifully shot (most of the time) little indie film with some fantastic music/score that elevates the emotional beats. An interesting concept that was executed really well. Highly recommended. I can't wait to check out his previous film.
Nice! Yep, They Look Like People is even better Inks, though a quite different film. He has a new one called I think I CONSUME YOU which is at festivals this week, I can’t wait. I’m gonna go ahead and confirm myself as Blackshear Hive.
(he also co-wrote Bingo Hell, which was fine).
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:27 pm From wikipedia:
The Resurrected (also known as The Ancestor and Shatterbrain)[1] is a 1991 American horror film directed by Dan O'Bannon, and starring John Terry, Jane Sibbett, Chris Sarandon and Robert Romanus. It is an adaptation of the H. P. Lovecraft novella The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Originally intended for a theatrical release, the film was shown at various film festivals before being released direct-to-video in 1992.

Score by Richard Band.
This was not a bad movie at all although a bit slow.
Long tortured history for this one Bez, only hinted at in that Wikipedia text. Dan O’Bannon was very bitter about it, his follow up to ROTLD. Massive interference, title changes and botched studio edit initially birthed a pretty poor flick but the bluray (as Resurrected) is closest version we get to one DOB was okay with. Though not really.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:34 pm Long tortured history for this one Bez, only hinted at in that Wikipedia text. Dan O’Bannon was very bitter about it, his follow up to ROTLD. Massive interference, title changes and botched studio edit initially birthed a pretty poor flick but the bluray (as Resurrected) is closest version we get to one DOB was okay with. Though not really.
Lost film elements if I remember correctly. No way to assemble his original cut especially with him being gone now. A shame as I feel like it would have been a much different thing than what we got.

Scream Factory bluray is $15 right now. I grabbed a copy to upgrade my not so great HDTV rip.
By EvanCampbell
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:46 am Today’s watch was Children Shouldn’t play with dead things (#13). This is a first time watch for me, being a Bob Clark fan I’m surprised it’s taken me this long to watch this movie. It might just be me but after watching I kinda feel like Sam Raimi must of been a fan. It kinda feels like this movie is a bridge between NOTLD and Evil Dead. I hated most of the characters especially Alan, although I feel that character is meant to be hated. The actor who played Alan, Alan Ormsby is credited for writing and directing Popcorn. Does anybody know if this is true? Looked like he wrote the screenplay for a couple other flicks. Cat People being one.
Yes alan was directing popcorn but after a few weeks was removed by the producers because they got little scared from the dailies. Any of the school flashback footage was shot by ormsby
It was one of the things that caused a rift between Bob Clark and Ormsby sadly
By inksb

Possum Dir by Matthew Holness
Finally got around to watching this one. Slow burn creepy film. Not a whole lot to say about it other than the performances were great, the scenes with the "spider" were very creepy (especially the one where it pops out in the hallway). Was that Matt doing the voice over? It sounded an awful lot like him. I followed up the film by immediately watching the first episode of Dark Place.

Razorback Dir by Russell Mulcahy
I was expecting a Jaws ripoff with this one and while it definitely takes inspiration from Jaws, it felt different enough to justify it's existence in giant wild animal attack films. The real surprise for me was the cinematography, blew me away, I didn't expect Suspiria level color filters on shots, it really was an impressive looking film. And the boar head effects were so cool, they made it so gross looking. Really enjoyed it.
By Bezulsqy
Haven't seen both of those @Inksb

I finished my final film from 1991:

I liked it for the most part but it was too long.
By inksb
Excited to revisit this.
2021-10-20.jpeg
2021-10-20.jpeg (595.46 KiB) Viewed 1179 times