A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 pm Thanks for posting those flicks @inks they were not on my radar at all. Man I got to up my current movie game. I also have to get back on the Tony Scott Train. I’ve had a busy couple months and had no time for things I watch alone. Boo-urns.

I remember when I watched The Invisible Man (the last film I’ve seen in a theatre) spiral was one of the trailers. It sucked me in so hard until I realized it was another Saw film. I literally let out a awwww as I’m not into the saw films at all. I was duped. At some point I’m sure I will watch it but I’m in no rush at all.
Yeah I was entertained by the first Saw when it hit theaters. Was excited the next year to see a second one which I enjoyed more than the first due to better acting and more elaborate traps, then the following year hit with part 3, I went to the theaters and that was the last one I've seen in it's entirety. I'm mostly interested in Spiral because it's from the director of 2 & 3, Darren Lynn Bousman, who I usually enjoy his work even with it's flaws and because of Chris Rock. Seeing Rock in a role like this is pretty interesting to me.

My wife has been in the mood for more modern horror lately, she can only take so much 70's euro trash/gialli/Italian rip-off cinema, so I mix in a lot of new stuff for her.

Any one seen Gaia? I was looking up 2021 horror films and that one popped up with a few decent reviews, out of South Africa.
By ScoJo
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 pm Thanks for posting those flicks @inks they were not on my radar at all. Man I got to up my current movie game. I also have to get back on the Tony Scott Train. I’ve had a busy couple months and had no time for things I watch alone. Boo-urns.

I remember when I watched The Invisible Man (the last film I’ve seen in a theatre) spiral was one of the trailers. It sucked me in so hard until I realized it was another Saw film. I literally let out a awwww as I’m not into the saw films at all. I was duped. At some point I’m sure I will watch it but I’m in no rush at all.
Spiral is pretty dreadful.
By CrossedPete
Yeah once I realized it was another saw movie my expectations/want to see the movie went south pretty quickly. I even forgot about it til recently when ads started popping up on my TV
By Bezulsqy
In the Earth: I think I am in between @Scojo's feelings and @Inksb. I really loved the sound design and stroboscopes. I did not like the characters. I found it a very entertaining and engaging movie for the most part with some irritation sprinkled on top.

Spiral: As I said before I also have seen the first 3 Saw movies and was not interested in more Saw. I did enjoy it. I would rate it somewhere between a 6 and 7. It had a lot of flaws but all in all for the 95 (I believe) it was a nice modern horror movie experience - and not too gory for the sake of it.

I believe it was VinylJunkie who first mentioned it but as far as recent new horror is concerned, Sputnik is really great. Russian Alien type of movie.

The Beach House was great for the most part.
Till Death was mediocre.
Slaxx was enjoyable for the 72 minutes it took

Censor was great! Has anyone seen that one? I know @VinylJunkie agrees with me :-)

I still have these lined up for whenever I have some more time:
- My Heart Can't Beat Unless you Tell It To (2021)
- Phobias (2021) this one sounds really bad so not sure if I will watch it
- Son (2021) should be good
- Reunion (2020) probably mediocre
- The Widow (Russian Folk horror if I am not mistaken) not expecting much (2020)
- The Dark and the Wicked (2020)

- Saint Maud (2020) expecting a lot and have been postponing a viewing for six months or so because I want to watch it together with my girlfriend but something always comes up

- The Stylist (2020) I still need to see. I believe @Inksb found it medicore
- The Rental (2020) sounds like by the numbers horror/thriller

- Lucky (2020) this one sounds like it could be good: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lucky_2020

- The Room (2019)

- Possum (2018) I know @ScoJo is a fan and because of that I want to check it out but other movies keep coming up to watch first
By inksb
I need to check out Possum as well. It's been on the list for a while and being a fan of Matthew Holness I feel obligated to watch it.
By ScoJo
I've seen some high praise on soc.med for HORROR IN THE HIGH DESERT so gave it a shot. First hour or so is a reasonably interesting (and quite plausibly real) cheapo documentary about a missing nature boy. I had heard that the last 20min was terrifying.
It was not.
No spoilers but.... nice try, a swing and a miss for me. The influence of Creepy Pasta looms very large over a lot of horror coming out of the US by new filmmakers, imo.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:46 pm I've seen some high praise on soc.med for HORROR IN THE HIGH DESERT so gave it a shot. First hour or so is a reasonably interesting (and quite plausibly real) cheapo documentary about a missing nature boy. I had heard that the last 20min was terrifying.
It was not.
No spoilers but.... nice try, a swing and a miss for me. The influence of Creepy Pasta looms very large over a lot of horror coming out of the US by new filmmakers, imo.
Sounds familiar. I find it hard to make time for a new horror movie even when iMDB or Rotten Tomatoes is giving it praise because a lot of the time I am disappointed. I rather spend that time watching something from years ago I still have not seen or watch a giallo/poliziottesco that I know is going to be bad but at least has great scenery and music in it :-)
By vinyljunkie
Yes, Censor and Sputnik were both great! As were Saint Maud and The Stylist (which I feel has been slept on) Haven’t seen much lately but really enjoyed “A Classic Horror Story”, new Italian horror on Netflix, folk horror with a great twist! Loved the cinematography…
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:37 pm In the Earth: I think I am in between @Scojo's feelings and @Inksb. I really loved the sound design and stroboscopes. I did not like the characters. I found it a very entertaining and engaging movie for the most part with some irritation sprinkled on top.

Spiral: As I said before I also have seen the first 3 Saw movies and was not interested in more Saw. I did enjoy it. I would rate it somewhere between a 6 and 7. It had a lot of flaws but all in all for the 95 (I believe) it was a nice modern horror movie experience - and not too gory for the sake of it.

I believe it was VinylJunkie who first mentioned it but as far as recent new horror is concerned, Sputnik is really great. Russian Alien type of movie.

The Beach House was great for the most part.
Till Death was mediocre.
Slaxx was enjoyable for the 72 minutes it took

Censor was great! Has anyone seen that one? I know @VinylJunkie agrees with me :-)

I still have these lined up for whenever I have some more time:
- My Heart Can't Beat Unless you Tell It To (2021)
- Phobias (2021) this one sounds really bad so not sure if I will watch it
- Son (2021) should be good
- Reunion (2020) probably mediocre
- The Widow (Russian Folk horror if I am not mistaken) not expecting much (2020)
- The Dark and the Wicked (2020)

- Saint Maud (2020) expecting a lot and have been postponing a viewing for six months or so because I want to watch it together with my girlfriend but something always comes up

- The Stylist (2020) I still need to see. I believe @Inksb found it medicore
- The Rental (2020) sounds like by the numbers horror/thriller

- Lucky (2020) this one sounds like it could be good: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lucky_2020

- The Room (2019)

- Possum (2018) I know @ScoJo is a fan and because of that I want to check it out but other movies keep coming up to watch first
By inksb
Guess I need to check out The Stylist. I don't really know much about Saint Maud other than seeing people talk about it, guess I'll investigate that too.
By ScoJo
EvanCampbell wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:17 pm 20210725_170247.jpg

Today's viewing
Oh man... what a flick. Rewards multiple viewings!!

That disc art is pretty wild, but hard to beat the incredible original poster which I'm sure you know well:

8E24971B-5FCE-4EC9-9D19-92DE43C4EF98-2036-0000039CF40B2FAA.jpg
8E24971B-5FCE-4EC9-9D19-92DE43C4EF98-2036-0000039CF40B2FAA.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1988 times

By inksb
I love that original Xtro poster so much. Any one ever watched the sequels? I heard they are terrible but still kind of curious.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:03 pm
EvanCampbell wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:17 pm 20210725_170247.jpg

Today's viewing
Oh man... what a flick. Rewards multiple viewings!!

That disc art is pretty wild, but hard to beat the incredible original poster which I'm sure you know well:

8E24971B-5FCE-4EC9-9D19-92DE43C4EF98-2036-0000039CF40B2FAA.jpg

I’m professionally against the double tag line, but man oh man I’d let it slide in this case
By inksb
Dead & Buried Dir by Gary Sherman
We've all seen, you either love it or hate. I personally have always really loved this one. From the score to the weird little town filled with weird people and Grandpa Joe from Willy Wonka as a crazy doctor. I watched the 4K restoration this weekend and basically just wanted to touch on that. The transfer looks great but there is a major caveat, the original negative has been lost they struck this print from an IP and did the best they could. The film is notoriously hazy and soft so don't expect extra clarity you never saw before. The grain is beautiful, no scrubbing away or DNR bullshit. Colors are great and feel very natural. Definitely recommended upgrade for those that love the film. If you are kind of iffy on it then it may not be worth the upgrade. I actually skipped the bluray originally and stuck with my DVD so this was a welcome upgrade from that.

I See You Dir by Adam Randall
I knew nothing of this one other than seeing @bez and @scojo talk about it recently on here. I do remember seeing the poster at some point, that mask is pretty striking but I never saw a trailer or paid much attention to it. We watched this last night and were both pretty impressed with it. I think going in completely blind would benefit everyone who wants to watch it so I'll leave that alone. I will say the first 'reveal' I was not too happy about, I thought the film was going to go in a direction that didn't interest me then another 'reveal' happens and I was fully sucked back in. This one is worth checking out.
By Bezulsqy
Yesterday I watched The Stylist and really liked it. Today I watched Lucky. This was also pretty good. Only 82 minutes but well made.

By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:36 am Yesterday I watched The Stylist and really liked it. Today I watched Lucky. This was also pretty good. Only 82 minutes but well made.
@bez going to the back to back Brea Grant films. Lucky was good, nothing amazing but enjoyable.

The Stylist Dir by Jill Gevargizian
I ended up watching this one last night with no knowledge of the film at all. It was pretty good. Two major standouts for me were the lighting at night, beautiful and dynamic, so good. And the other being a film showcasing the rapid decent in madness of a killer. I wasn't expecting that, I thought she was going to be calm and composed. I won't say too much about the plot because it's pretty minimal but it worked, the main actress did a wonderful job, Brea was good in her supporting role and they stuck the ending. Recommend checking this one out for sure.
By Bezulsqy
Enzo Millioni's 1978 La sorella di Ursula a.k.a. The Sister of Ursula
score by Mimi Uva

this was not a good movie...

By Bezulsqy
Roberto Montero's 1972 Rivelazioni di un maniaco sessuale al capo della squadra mobile a.k.a. So Sweet, So Dead
score by Giorgio Gallini

By inksb

Censor Dir by Prano Bailey-Bond
This one was fairly enjoyable. I wasn't quite sure where it was going at first but as it progressed it became quite obvious. I really loved how the film looked, it was shot very nicely, except it's "VHS movie" segments, it seemed completely off to me. I'm not sure if they were even trying to capture how those films looked on VHS or if they were just going for their own thing but the colors bugged me for some reason. Outside of that it was a fun little film that's worth checking out.
By inksb
I could never get into the RE films. I think I only watched the first 3. There were moments in each one that were entertaining but overall never captured what the games were like.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:34 pm I could never get into the RE films. I think I only watched the first 3.
Haha, well you certainly gave it the old college try Inks! I think I watched about 5mins of the first film before swinging hard to 'No Thank You Sir!' ;-D
By Bezulsqy
After watching 46 JCVD flicks in 11 weeks I can handle anything.
Don’t forget the 125+ gialli I have seen…