A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:43 pm
inksb wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:38 pm I need to rewatch Sinister. I remember enjoying it quite a bit but seeing so many people say it's one of the scariest movies I feel like I watched a completely different movie. Any film that has ninja flipping/dancing child ghosts with "ghost trails" immediately gets me to laugh
I don’t remember those :-)
But I do remember really liking the movie as a scary movie.
Is The Nun any good? I believe I haven’t seen that one because I thought I read only bad things about it. And I am not sure if I have seen the last Annebelle one.
I just looked it up and I think I'm remembering it wrong. It's the scene with the kids just being in the background moving around in slow motion. I found it incredibly silly but others find it scary I guess. There wasn't ghost trailing, it was just slow motion haha.

I haven't heard much about The Nun other than it's mediocre or just bad. I skipped it. I heard the third Annabelle was decent but I haven't seen it either.
By inksb

Seance. Dir by Simon Barrett
I surprisingly was unaware of this film until it hit VOD a few weeks back. Simon Barretter, writer of You're Next, a bunch of VHS segments & The Guest, finally takes a stab at directing. I think as a director he did pretty good, it was shot quite nicely and even though most of it takes place in a school with just a few locations it looks more expensive than it probably should. The basic set up is some girls at a private school are doing a "bloody mary" style prank on a few of the other girls. One of them freaks out and runs to her room, shortly after she's found dead on the ground outside of her window, presumably from suicide. Meet your main character, the girl who takes the now vacated spot at the private school. Mean girl antics, supernatural stuff and a murder mystery. I was entertained but can't say I'll ever revisit it. Worth checking out for free or on streaming but it's nothing special just a well made little horror flick. A few cool kills.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:02 pm Great poster. Pointless, utterly by-the-numbers horror film.

:)
I feel like it would have been more interesting if they figured out a way to make the ghost story work instead of the other route they took.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:42 pm
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:02 pm Great poster. Pointless, utterly by-the-numbers horror film.

I feel like it would have been more interesting if they figured out a way to make the ghost story work instead of the other route they took.
100%. Barrett (and Wingard) are wildly over praised imho. Just not for me. I've never seen anything that either have created which transcended 'here's a genre we love, here are lots of things you'll recognise'. Big whoop. Do love me that Midnight Marauder(?) Seance poster though!

*EDIT* Phantom City did the deed.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:57 pm
inksb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:42 pm

100%. Barrett (and Wingard) are wildly over praised imho. Just not for me. I've never seen anything that either have created which transcended 'here's a genre we love, here are lots of things you'll recognise'. Big whoop. Do love me that Midnight Marauder(?) Seance poster though!

*EDIT* Phantom City did the deed.
I think I agree with you on that front, they are widely over praised but honestly it's just kind of nice to see some praise for people working with in the genre and getting a little more push into the main stream. Sure there are others deserve it more but I'll take a win when it presents itself. I do really enjoy You're Next and The Guest. And let's be honest here they brought the wonderful Barbara back into our lives with You're Next. She was done with acting and was convinced to come back and had a career resurgence. For that they will always get a bit of a pass from me. And just to clarify I think they are good writer & director respectively, just overpraised a bit.
By Hatter313
You're Next and The Guest i deeply deeply love, especially The Guest, and I still want the rest of their work to stand up remotely to those two outings.

they don't though :(
By Bezulsqy
Lucio Marcaccini's 1975 Roma drogata: la polizia non può intervenire a.k.a. Hallucination Strip
score by Albert Verrecchia

By Hatter313
static14 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:45 pm Watching Raiders on UHD. looks friggin amazing! :)
Yeah, gotta go pick that up this weekend.
By Bezulsqy
Leopoldo Savona's 1972 La morte scende leggera a.k.a. Death Falls Lightly
score by Lallo Gori

By vinyljunkie
Two more horror recs -- Caveat (on Shudder) and Censor (just out on VOD or very soon, got some Berberian Sound Studio vibes on this one) -- I thought both were excellent!
By inksb
I watched two excellent films this weekend.

The Empty Man. Dir by David Prior
I knew nothing of this other than ScoJo's praise and a few others on here. Completely blind when I hit play. The opening segment hooked me, I was totally into the set up. Then we get to the "modern" era and it's turned into a Bloody Mary/Candyman type ghost story which didn't make too much sense to me and I was a little put off. Fortunately as the film unfolds over the course of it's way too long run time it opened up and stuff began to link to one another. By the time it finished I loved it. I don't want to talk about the plot as I think what worked so well for me was that I had no idea what I was going into. I just want to echo previous folks sentiments that it's fantastic and should be watched. Two minor details I'd like to bring up, one I really thought the teenage group felt like they were ripped out of Final Destination franchise. And the other being that, and maybe this is just me, but I really hate when films do nude scenes with high school students. I know she has to be at least 18 to legally do the scene in the film but it feels exploitive for no reason. That scene she did not need to be nude, she could have walked into the area with a towel on and all of her parts could have been covered by steam. Any one else feel this way? Am I officially old complaining about nudity in a film? I have no issues with nudity in films but when you have a high school student nude it feels creepy.

The Mitchells Vs The Machines. Dir by Mike Rianda & Jeff Rowe
This was so damn entertaining. I really just had a blast watching, I'd probably say it's the best animated CG film since Spiderverse. The cast is excellent, it tackles a fairly common family issue with a grounded approach that you can really connect with. Even with the wild shit happening you feel for these family members who don't quite understand each other and have no idea how to properly talk about it, shit gets confusing and you get angry with each other even though you are all doing the only thing you know how when it comes to the situation. I thought it was very sweet. The animation is very fun, playful and the overall art direction is outright impressive. Voice cast is great. And there is one scene that uses the Ironside theme but Kill Bill's version and it fucking put the biggest smile on my face. I wasn't expecting it at all. Everyone just watch it, it's worth your time, it's on Netflix. If you have kids watch it with them, if you're like me and don't have kids watch it anyways.
By Bezulsqy

I assume @ScoJo you have watched this as well and I am very curious to hear your opinion about this one. Any one else of course as well.

It was very interesting. And in the end I thought it was excellent. First half I was intrigued but not convinced. But I found it to be very well made, and clever. Excellent video nasties references (not only the movies but more the politics).

Terrific score for the most part: https://emilielevienaise-farrouch.bandc ... soundtrack
Vinyl is coming later this summer through Invada.

I especially love it that the movie and score are made by women. For some reason I find that notion to add to the quality.
By ScoJo
I shared this on twitter, can't figure out a way to upload a video here so here's the link.

I had the idea: what if The Keep was black and white? So I present a little test for

THE KEEP: THE SILVER & BLACK EDITION

Using the unrestored 'grindhouse' 4k 35mm print scan that was crowd funded/Static was gracious enough to share with me, I took a short scene and did a very quick, basic monochrome film grade on it. I was really jazzed by the effect! It makes the film look and feel like it was made around the time it is set, WWII era/mid-40s, and heavily ups the gothic tone. See what y'all think!

I might do a few other test scenes, see what Glaeken and Molasar look like in black n white.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1407425004392927233
By vinyljunkie
Loved Censor! Berberian vibes and a killer score -- the director's been on a couple of podcasts within the last week or so, seems really sweet - up and coming, looks like she'll be up for great things to come!
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:08 am Image

I assume @ScoJo you have watched this as well and I am very curious to hear your opinion about this one. Any one else of course as well.

It was very interesting. And in the end I thought it was excellent. First half I was intrigued but not convinced. But I found it to be very well made, and clever. Excellent video nasties references (not only the movies but more the politics).

Terrific score for the most part: https://emilielevienaise-farrouch.bandc ... soundtrack
Vinyl is coming later this summer through Invada.

I especially love it that the movie and score are made by women. For some reason I find that notion to add to the quality.
By Bezulsqy
I am back from a ten day holiday in France. Monday back to work... Thanks ScoJo for sorting my viewing for this evening. I was completely unaware about No Sudden Move. Looking forward to it!
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:26 pmIMG_1716.JPG
Finished it just now. Really liked it. Great score. Interesting camera work...
Great actors.
By Bezulsqy
Alberto De Martino's 1985 7, Hyden Park: la casa maledetta a.k.a. Formula for a Murder
Score by Francesco De Masi