A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:02 am
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:37 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:23 am Wow, fantastic selection of movies! Need to re-visit Scanners.
@Static: The Keep in 4K? What did I miss?
Scanners os so good. Bez, I'll leave now so wait about eighteen hours and then fire up the peanuts. I'll bring the beer.
I'll make sure to triple my normal amount of nuts.
More like tripel them.
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:08 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:02 am
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:37 am

Scanners os so good. Bez, I'll leave now so wait about eighteen hours and then fire up the peanuts. I'll bring the beer.
I'll make sure to triple my normal amount of nuts.
More like tripel them.
By Bezulsqy
33. Welcome to the Jungle (2013)

I am to old for this.
Quote from iMDB:
This movie is strictly for people who enjoyed Office Space, Dumb & Dumber, Dodgeball, Ace Ventura, etc. and have the capacity to get over themselves. It's absolutely ridiculous, immature, and goofy like all of those other low brow comedies but with a way smaller budget and considerably less starpower.
I loved Dodgeball. But I haven't seen that one in over 10 years. But indeed as a low brow comedy goes this is entertaining and JCVD is funny in it. Although there isn't really a lot of him it. More than in Dragon Eyes though. I am not sure where to classify this one because it a totally different than the rest. For me Knock Off is a funnier movie and a better JCVD action movie. I am placing this in the bottom half.

21. Black Eagle
22. Inferno (it is near the bottom but if you feel a bit silly do watch this one)

23. The Order
23. Second in Command
23. The Shepherd
23. Six Bullets
23. Welcome to the Jungle

28. Assassination Games
29. Street Fighter
30. The Hard Corps
31. Derailed
32. Dragon Eyes (not that bad as a movie but too little JCVD in it)
By inksb
EvanCampbell wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:56 am There are twelve new reasons to be terrified. Introducing...in no particular order Axe...Hangman....Doc...Archer....and I forgot the rest. Fun 80's cheese
Neon Maniacs is so fun. I randomly bought the bluray a few years ago knowing nothing about the film and really enjoyed it. I couldn't believe I had never even heard of it before, it seems like it should be much more well known.
By Hatter313
static14 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:54 pm A bit ago finished up watching a new 4K HDR10 preview scan of The Keep on my projector. :)
Can we uh...come back to this for a hot second? assuming this is a fan driven project given there's no way Mann has softened his position here
By Bezulsqy
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:28 pm
static14 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:54 pm A bit ago finished up watching a new 4K HDR10 preview scan of The Keep on my projector. :)
Can we uh...come back to this for a hot second? assuming this is a fan driven project given there's no way Mann has softened his position here
I can only assume it is this youtube clip @Static played:

By Bezulsqy
34. Enemies Closer (2013)

This was very enjoyable. JCVD plays an insane vegan drug dealer. The first shot of JCVD in this movie is unforgettable. Everything else is standard action flick fare. But at 85 minutes it does not take itself too serious.

Do I need to count The Expendables 2 as an entry in the JCVD canon? I assume so. Will add at the end in any case.

* JCVD
1. Timecop
2. Hard Target
3. Bloodsport
4. Cyborg
5. Nowhere to Run
6. Maximum Risk
7. In Hell
8. Legionnaire
9. Replicant
10. Knock Off
11. Wake of Death
12. Until Death

13. Lionheart
13. Kickboxer
13. No Retreat, No Surrender
13. Death Warrant
13. Double Impact (of course everyone should see this one, same as Cyborg)
13. Sudden Death
13. The Quest
13. Double Team
13. Enemies Closer

22. Black Eagle
23. Inferno (it is near the bottom but if you feel a bit silly do watch this one)

24. The Order
24. Second in Command
24. The Shepherd
24. Six Bullets
24. Welcome to the Jungle

29. Assassination Games
30. Street Fighter
31. The Hard Corps
32. Derailed
33. Dragon Eyes (not that bad as a movie but too little JCVD in it)

13 more to go...
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:28 pm Do I need to count The Expendables 2 as an entry in the JCVD canon? I assume so. Will add at the end in any case.
You probably don't need to as his role isn't the biggest. It's nice to see him play the bad guy after many years refusing to do that type of work. And there is a fantastic spin kick in it. I actually enjoy Expendables 2 more than the others mainly due to JCVD, but none of them are very good. You've definitely watched worst movies in this long adventure you've been on. I don't count it as a JCVD movie because he's not the main star but by the sounds of it he has a little more screen time than some of these later period films you've been watching.
By static14
Yeah it’s fan driven. It’s a 4K HDR10 scan of a theatrical 35mm print done on a Cintel Blackmagic II scanner.. The version I watched yesterday hasn’t had any clean up done yet, and it’s only 14 gigs, so not crazy high bitrate, but it looked great.

Really looking forward to the cleaned up version which will likely be in the neighborhood of 40-50 gigs. :)
By inksb
static14 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:11 pm
Yeah it’s fan driven. It’s a 4K HDR10 scan of a theatrical 35mm print done on a Cintel Blackmagic II scanner.. The version I watched yesterday hasn’t had any clean up done yet, and it’s only 14 gigs, so not crazy high bitrate, but it looked great.

Really looking forward to the cleaned up version which will likely be in the neighborhood of 40-50 gigs. :)
Is this something being done in private? Or can I keep track of the progress on this similar to the Star Wars 4K stuff?

I'm very interested in checking it out when it's finished.
By ScoJo
static14 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:11 pm

By Mateo Sanboval
Bez,

Super fair ratings on a couple of enjoyable DTV flicks. Welcome To The Jungle was funnier than I thought it would be, but it also isn't really a JCVD flick. Enemies Closer is a good time and a silly, fun action film. Maybe because it was directed by Peter Hyams of Time Cop and Sudden Death fame? As for Expendables 2, I think there are fun moments in those films, but they are what they are and E2 certainly isn't a JCVD movie. It belogs in the same bucket as Jungle, Black Eagle, etc.
By inksb
Random rant...

so HBO Max sucks. They only offer 4K on 4 or 5 specific devices. I signed up for it so I can watch Big Lizard Vs Big Ape at the end of the month. It only works on Apple TV 4k, Roku 4K players, Chromecast Ultra, Amazon Fire Stick 4K or Cube and Sony Android TV's. Well luckily I have Sony TV w/ Android. I log into the app, everything is working nicely except the audio. It is only outputting 2.0 on a 5.1 signal. My AVR is a Dolby Atmos 7.1 supported receiver. I don't even need 7.1 I just want 5.1. Well I can not for the life of me get 5.1 to engage, I've gone through every setting switch from ARC to optical still nothing. I can get 5.1 from other apps but not HBO Max. I am ripping cables out tonight to see if I can get one last thing to work if it doesn't it looks like I'll be buying a Amazon Fire Stick for a movie. This is a huge pain in the ass as my TV is mounted on the wall and all wires are in the wall. Not really looking for help, I've installed these systems for 7 years, just wanted to bitch about how shitty some of this stuff still is well over a decade into HD being the "norm" ARC has and always will suck, they have never made it better.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:17 pm Last night, after Jennifer 8, I decided to stream Inception. It was my third viewing. As with prior viewings, I enjoyed it very much. It made me want to watch Tenet again. I'm not sure why the sentiment is so strong for Inception and so lukewarm for Tenet. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, here or elsewhere. Just something I'm mulling over. I'll watch Tenet again this week and try to crystalize my thoughts.
That‘s strange - I watched Tenet last week (for the first time) and it made me want to watch Interstellar again.
By ScoJo
My personal Nolan table, spontaneously and without too much over-thinking. (I've left Following out as it's clearly a 'student' film in many ways). For whatever reasons, in weighing these up I realised that I was leaning more on 'emotional resonance' they have for me than from admiration of technical accomplishment or whatnot. It might be because I do think of his films as highly charged and at times emotionally devastating, even though he is often cited as a 'cold', or technical filmmaker.

Interstellar
The Prestige
Memento
Dunkirk
Inception
Dark Knight
Insomnia
Batman Begins
Tenet
Dark Knight Rises
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:38 pm My personal Nolan table, spontaneously and without too much over-thinking. (I've left Following out as it's clearly a 'student' film in many ways). For whatever reasons, in weighing these up I realised that I was leaning more on 'emotional resonance' they have for me than from admiration of technical accomplishment or whatnot. It might be because I do think of his films as highly charged and at times emotionally devastating, even though he is often cited as a 'cold', or technical filmmaker.

Interstellar
The Prestige
Memento
Dunkirk
Inception
Dark Knight
Insomnia
Batman Begins
Tenet
Dark Knight Rises
Removing the Batmen, we have almost inverse lists.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:51 pm
ScoJo wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:38 pm My personal Nolan table, spontaneously and without too much over-thinking. (I've left Following out as it's clearly a 'student' film in many ways). For whatever reasons, in weighing these up I realised that I was leaning more on 'emotional resonance' they have for me than from admiration of technical accomplishment or whatnot. It might be because I do think of his films as highly charged and at times emotionally devastating, even though he is often cited as a 'cold', or technical filmmaker.

Interstellar
The Prestige
Memento
Dunkirk
Inception
Dark Knight
Insomnia
Batman Begins
Tenet
Dark Knight Rises
You mean inverted?

;-)
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:40 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:51 pm

Interstellar
The Prestige
Memento
Dunkirk
Inception
Dark Knight
Insomnia
Batman Begins
Tenet
Dark Knight Rises
You mean inverted?

;-)
I do not. I meant what I said, by Tsathoggua.
By EvanCampbell
inksb wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:49 pm
EvanCampbell wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:56 am There are twelve new reasons to be terrified. Introducing...in no particular order Axe...Hangman....Doc...Archer....and I forgot the rest. Fun 80's cheese
Neon Maniacs is so fun. I randomly bought the bluray a few years ago knowing nothing about the film and really enjoyed it. I couldn't believe I had never even heard of it before, it seems like it should be much more well known.
@inksb It has been a bunch of years since I have viewed it and it was quite enjoyable. Also realized that one of the maniacs (Doc) would go onto play the Djnn in Wishmaster. I guess the moral being if you keep doing this crap....you can keep doing this crap.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:40 pm Random rant...

so HBO Max sucks. They only offer 4K on 4 or 5 specific devices. I signed up for it so I can watch Big Lizard Vs Big Ape at the end of the month. It only works on Apple TV 4k, Roku 4K players, Chromecast Ultra, Amazon Fire Stick 4K or Cube and Sony Android TV's. Well luckily I have Sony TV w/ Android. I log into the app, everything is working nicely except the audio. It is only outputting 2.0 on a 5.1 signal. My AVR is a Dolby Atmos 7.1 supported receiver. I don't even need 7.1 I just want 5.1. Well I can not for the life of me get 5.1 to engage, I've gone through every setting switch from ARC to optical still nothing. I can get 5.1 from other apps but not HBO Max. I am ripping cables out tonight to see if I can get one last thing to work if it doesn't it looks like I'll be buying a Amazon Fire Stick for a movie. This is a huge pain in the ass as my TV is mounted on the wall and all wires are in the wall. Not really looking for help, I've installed these systems for 7 years, just wanted to bitch about how shitty some of this stuff still is well over a decade into HD being the "norm" ARC has and always will suck, they have never made it better.
I am always interested in why stuff like this doesn't work the way you want. In this case I don't think it has to do with ARC. After a quick search it appears the HBO Max app is faulty. I do understand how you feel though. If you want something in a specific way and it doesn't work it sucks.
Doesn't your Sony have a built in chromecast? Or doesn't the built in one stream in 4K? I have a 2018 Sony but I never checked if it has a 4K chromecast built in.
By Bezulsqy
EvanCampbell wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:47 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:49 pm
@inksb It has been a bunch of years since I have viewed it and it was quite enjoyable. Also realized that one of the maniacs (Doc) would go onto play the Djnn in Wishmaster. I guess the moral being if you keep doing this crap....you can keep doing this crap.
I need to re-visit Wishmaster. I remember renting it on VHS as a kid and loving it.
By Bezulsqy
35. Swelter (2014)

Another movie with JCVD in a smaller role. It has some charm but because I am here for the muscles of Bruxelles I cannot rate this high. But JCVD always shines even in these small roles.

22. Black Eagle
23. Inferno (it is near the bottom but if you feel a bit silly do watch this one)

24. The Order
24. Second in Command
24. The Shepherd
24. Six Bullets
24. Welcome to the Jungle

29. Assassination Games
30. Street Fighter
31. The Hard Corps
32. Derailed
33. Dragon Eyes (not that bad as a movie but too little JCVD in it)
34. Swelter (movie was worse than Dragon Eyes but JCVD was better)
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 am
inksb wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:40 pm Random rant...

I am always interested in why stuff like this doesn't work the way you want. In this case I don't think it has to do with ARC. After a quick search it appears the HBO Max app is faulty. I do understand how you feel though. If you want something in a specific way and it doesn't work it sucks.
Doesn't your Sony have a built in chromecast? Or doesn't the built in one stream in 4K? I have a 2018 Sony but I never checked if it has a 4K chromecast built in.
It does have Chromecast but it's not 4K Chromecast. I'll end up trying the Amazon Fire Stick and if it doesn't work I'll just watch it in 1080 bc I'd rather have good audio than the uptick to 4K. My PS4 will play HBO Max with the correct audio
By Bezulsqy
36. Pound of Flesh (2015)

Best use of a bible I have ever seen in a movie. This one got me exited and rooting for JCVD a lot during the first half. In the middle it dragged a bit. The final battle was interesting enough. On a whole a very interesting JCVD flick I have to say. Very surprising.

* JCVD
1. Timecop
2. Hard Target
3. Bloodsport
4. Cyborg
5. Nowhere to Run
6. Maximum Risk
7. In Hell
8. Legionnaire
9. Replicant
10. Knock Off
11. Wake of Death