A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
inksb wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:39 pm I could see The Beach House being a fun sync watch
Haven't seen it, I'm interested.
By Bezulsqy
Roberto Infascelli's 1973 La polizia sta a guardare a.k.a. The Great Kidnapping
terrific score by Stelvio Cipriani

By Bezulsqy
Tonino Ricci's 1973 L'onorata famiglia - Uccidere è cosa nostra a.k.a. The Big Family
score by Bruno Nicolai

By inksb

I saw this pop up on lots of year end lists of 2020 from horror writers and editors. I was very curious to check it out as it usually landed in the top 5. I did the usual thing I do and not read a fucking thing about it and just try to watch the movie with zero knowledge. That seemed to work out for me. It's a really well done "slow burn/demon/haunting" film. It's not perfect, there were a few quick cut show possessed person shots that kind of took me out of it, one in the opening scene that actually had me worried, they almost felt like studio notes because the rest of the film really doesn't show anything. There are some genuinely creepy fucking moments in here. There is one in particular that is a shot holding on a characters face while you hear various noises that just amp up the tension and dread. Beautifully done. I highly recommend checking this one one. It's not perfect but quite good low budget affair that feels quite confined and to the point. It should be on Shudder in the coming months and can be rented for $5 (or obtained through nefarious means)

Mrs. inks and me wrapped up a few series recently and were looking for something new, I had started this last year and made it about half way through before switching to something else. Well I showed her the first episode and she enjoyed it so we proceeded watch the entire show over the course of a week or two. She absolutely loved it by the end and wanted to watch more, I'm more on the fence about it. The animation is beautiful, it has incredible scenes that are 100% worth checking out but on the story and character front it's really lacking. In fact there are only two likeable characters in 26 episodes, the two main characters. Every one else is annoying or just a straight up asshole. The final 5 episodes were unbearable training episodes for a non resolve conflict, come to find out the film that released in Japan in November is actually the final battle that they alluded to in finale of the season. Overall I can't really recommend this one without the warning that you may find characters annoying. Animation is beautiful and worth watching for it, so maybe put on the dub and have in on in the background while you work or something.

We also finished the Korean show Sweet Home. I loved it, it's like live action anime. I wrote a little about it a few weeks ago when we started. It's a lot of silly ridiculous fun, lots of cool monsters and action scenes. It flies by at a break neck pace that they actually have to do minor little flashbacks to show you context to what they just showed you.

In other random news I did some reworking of electrical in my living room this weekend, removed some really awful flouresent tube lighting and replaced it with some fancy wifi connected color changing bulbs that really allow for some fun lighting for moving viewing. Here's the RGB but it's fully capable of doing almost any color, I did notice it struggles with purple though. I've never been one for this kind of shit but this is a fun thing to add to the main room we watch tv and movies in.

And in case any one is wondering, that is a giant painting of our cat in the most ornate frame my wife could find(she painted it herself). It also has a plaque with his name engraved on it "BLOOD FEAST"
By Hatter313
That last paragraph really comes out of nowhere hahahaaha

Those lights look great, I do a crazy light set up around Halloween but one day in a more expansive place I may do something more permanent
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:34 pm That painting of Blood Feast is gonna haunt my dreams.....
He definitely haunts mine. The "little" bastard loves to climb onto my neck while I'm sleeping and sometimes have dreams of choking or gasping for air, then I wake up realizing he's laying across my throat. At 13 lbs he's not light.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:38 pm
ScoJo wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:34 pm That painting of Blood Feast is gonna haunt my dreams.....
He definitely haunts mine. The "little" bastard loves to climb onto my neck while I'm sleeping and sometimes have dreams of choking or gasping for air, then I wake up realizing he's laying across my throat. At 13 lbs he's not light.
13lbs??

By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:42 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:38 pm
13lbs??
Lol.
He was 19 at one point! He has been on a steady diet for 3 years now and down to an acceptable weight. He's a big cat regardless of weight, he stands a few inches taller than any cat I've ever owned, I believe the saying is "big boned"
By ScoJo
aka THE DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD aka PRANKS! in 1080p :D

Screen shot 2021-01-19 at 11.52.38.png
Screen shot 2021-01-19 at 11.52.38.png (740.6 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
By inksb
That's been on my list to watch for a while. What are you thoughts on it @scojo?
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 pm That's been on my list to watch for a while. What are you thoughts on it @scojo?
That was a very welcome surprise!

I've obviously heard the name for years, and have the soundtrack LP which is great, Chris Young's first score. But I'd never seen any version of the movie and man, this restored Bluray 'Director's Cut' (basically the first edit of the film before it was sent to the MPAA/hacked to pieces and title changed) was definitely the best way to first experience it and a real treat!

As you likely know it was made as a student project - instead of shooting an arty film school short for their graduation film, the twenty-ish director's shot a full slasher film as a calling card and handed it in to their tutors. Amazing. It was shot on 35mm but actually looks very much like blown up 16mm here - like the first blu release of Evil Dead really. Very grungy and grainy and down n dirty looking. It's fantastic. The film itself is a really enjoyable early 80s slasher, fits right alongside stuff like The Mutilator (which I also love) and Blood Rage. The last act is pretty damn suspensful, with a couple of great WTF turns of plot. And the kills are surprisingly grim and gory! Two in particular elicited a little 'woah, seriously!?' from me, since I just wasn't expecting such gnarly, graphic scenes, done really well. Pretty brutal! You also get a first look at lovely Daphne Zuniga, which is of course very welcome.

Add Chris Young's barnstorming orchestral score to the mix (somewhere between Herrmann's and Donaggio's DePalma work) and this was just a fun fun 80minutes!

Oh and for my money, the director's original title is killer and by far the best they came up with. Death Dorm. Perfect. Why would you fuck with that?
Last edited by ScoJo on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:50 pm
inksb wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 pm That's been on my list to watch for a while. What are you thoughts on it @scojo?
That was a very welcome surprise!

I've obviously heard the name for years, and have the soundtrack LP which is great, Chris Young's first score. But I'd never seen any version of the movie and man, this restored Bluray 'Director's Cut' (basically the first edit of the film before it was sent to the MPAA/hacked to pieces and title changed) was definitely the best way to first experience it and a real treat!

As you likely know it was made as a student project - instead of shooting an arty film school short for their graduation film, the twenty-ish director's shot a full slasher film as a calling card and handed it in to their tutors. Amazing. It was shot on 35mm but actually looks very much like blown up 16mm here - like the first blu release of Evil Dead really. Very grungy and grainy and down n dirty looking. It's fantastic. The film itself is a really enjoyable early 80s slasher, fits right alongside stuff like The Mutilator (which I also love) and Blood Rage. The last act is pretty damn suspensful, with a couple of great WTF turns of plot. And the kills are surprisingly grim and gory! Two in particular elicited a little 'woah, seriously!?' from me, since I just wasn't expecting such gnarly, graphic scenes, done really well. Pretty brutal! You also get a first look at lovely Daphne Zuniga, which is of course very welcome.

Adding with Chris Young's barnstorming orchestral score to the mix (somewhere between Herrmann's and Donaggio's DePalma work) this was just a fun fun 80minutes!

Oh and for my money, the director's original title is killer and by far the best they came up with. Death Dorm. Perfect. Why would you fuck with that?
Well that just made this shoot up my list of films to watch. And I completely agree Death Dorm is a perfect title. Plus the typeface they chose for it looks incredible. Looks like Synapse released the bluray of the uncensored directors cut in the US.
By ScoJo
Jump on it! Nice extras too on the Synapse, they really went to town.

And you'll wanna dial in the ambiance in the screening chamber to 'KARO SYRUP RED' for this one @inks ;)
By ScoJo
Psycho Goreman in theatres/VOD/Shudder now!

B69F24D1-ADF4-4036-BE38-D64DBFCD2472-1331-000002685B47AEA4.jpg
B69F24D1-ADF4-4036-BE38-D64DBFCD2472-1331-000002685B47AEA4.jpg (453.84 KiB) Viewed 1375 times

This is a day-one watch for me, planning to do so this evening - anyone else excited? From Astron 6/team behind The Void, Manborg and Father's Day amongst others.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenanar ... unced.html
By inksb
I am very excited. Trailer looks fun as hell. I will probably watch it tomorrow or Sunday. D&D tonight
By NathanLurker
Oh it's on Shudder ?? Cool cool cool. Gonna check it out. When Waxwork teased the record this week I looked up the trailer, I'm definitely IN to watch that.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:36 pm Psycho Goreman in theatres/VOD/Shudder now!

B69F24D1-ADF4-4036-BE38-D64DBFCD2472-1331-000002685B47AEA4.jpg

This is a day-one watch for me, planning to do so this evening - anyone else excited? From Astron 6/team behind The Void, Manborg and Father's Day amongst others.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenanar ... unced.html
I am going to watch this tonight. I might start with Allice Sweet Alice or Slumber Party Massacre as I have seen a lot of recent viewings of those on here. I haven't seen Alice and I forgot if I have ever seen Slumber Party. Probably has been 20 years :-)
By Bezulsqy
okay, so I appear to have watched Slumber Party Massacre in 2018 so now I'll watch this in stead:

By Mateo Sanboval
Nice one, Pete!