A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Silvio Amadio's 1965 Il segreto del vestito rosso a.k.a. Assassination in Rome
score by Armando Trovajoli

By ScoJo
THE THING: 1885

Urm, I mean...

7F829433-7116-4609-9172-87F634F9D5DB-1145-00000115F27078C5.png
7F829433-7116-4609-9172-87F634F9D5DB-1145-00000115F27078C5.png (247.69 KiB) Viewed 3439 times

By Bezulsqy
^ I have only seen that one time and that was in the movie theatre. I remember it being everything I hoped it was.
By inksb
I love the Hateful8. Don't care what anyone says about it. Every time I sit down to watch it I have a good time.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:11 am I love the Hateful8. Don't care what anyone says about it. Every time I sit down to watch it I have a good time.
I'm entirely 50/50 on it, half thoroughly enjoyable and half wincingly irritating. Which is pretty much my ratio on most of his films.
By Bezulsqy
Dino Tavella's 1965 Il mostro di Venezia a.k.a. The Embalmer
score by Marcello Gigante

By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:34 am
inksb wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:11 am I love the Hateful8. Don't care what anyone says about it. Every time I sit down to watch it I have a good time.
I'm entirely 50/50 on it, half thoroughly enjoyable and half wincingly irritating. Which is pretty much my ratio on most of his films.
I completely understand the criticisms towards it. I'll never fault anyone for not liking it, it's a bloated film that I just happen to enjoy the hell out of.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:19 pm
I completely understand the criticisms towards it. I'll never fault anyone for not liking it, it's a bloated film that I just happen to enjoy the hell out of.
I'll just say - I believe in terms of his writing, his gleeful, kamikazee over-deployment of the N-bomb is not going to age well.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:00 pm
inksb wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:19 pm

I'll just say - I believe in terms of his writing, his gleeful, kamikazee over-deployment of the N-bomb is not going to age well.
He's always been criticized over that. Like lots of films it won't age well in that regard.
By Bezulsqy
Does anyone have any tips for something I can watch this weekend?
As recent as possible and can be horror, thriller or action sci-fi. Fun or scary.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:35 pm Does anyone have any tips for something I can watch this weekend?
As recent as possible and can be horror, thriller or action sci-fi. Fun or scary.
Recent films (aherm - I'm sure a man of your talents can 'find' them Bez...) that I very much enjoyed/would recommend:

VIVARIUM (incredible - made my skin crawl. my kind of surreal, existential horror jam. Like Bunuel meets Charlie Kaufman in the Twilight Zone!) A

HOST (good, clean jump scare quarantine/zoom-filming fun - was way better than it had any right to be!) B+

AMULET (weird, feminist downbeat British horror) B+

GRETEL AND HANSEL (if you haven't seen it yet - astonishing and beautiful) A

THE BEACH HOUSE (solid Lovecraftian-horror - starts off a bit meh/characters aren't great, but gets properly dark as it goes on and quite eerie) B+

BODY CAM (it didn't quite land the ending but I really enjoyed this black female cop-led urban horror - think End of Watch meets 90s supernatural monster action!) A-

YOU SHOULD HAVE LEFT (David Koepp psychological spooky reuniting him with Kevin Bacon - not anywhere near as good as Stir of Echoes but I did still get some thrills from it. Not a great ending tho) B+

RELIC (really good horror drama, very realistic though quite sad/slow-paced/downbeat - the last act is full on) A-

WITHOUT NAME (same director as Vivarium, earlier Irish horror film set in a forest - weird shit ensues! has a bit of a Field in England experimental folk horror vibe) B+

THE RENTAL (Blumhouse type high-concept murder mystery horror - Air B n B goes very wrong! Not bad, gets quite grisly, directed by Dave Franco) B+

ALWAYS SHINE (directed by actor Sophie Takal, excellent dark character horror about two actors/friends who go away for weekend and shit gets weird. Loved this. Think Queen of Earth/The Invitation - starring the amazing Mckenzie Davis from Halt and Catch Fire/Blade Runner 2049 etc) A

SEA FEVER (not entirely successful but very watchable 'weird shit out at sea' Lovecraftian type horror - some have said 'The Thing At Sea' but it's nowhere near that level really, but very well done low-budget British horror which has it's moments/good cast) B+

And while I'm here - Season 3 of Netflix's THE SINNER with Bill Pullman returning as the troubled detective was fantastic. I started with this season and was knocked out, went back and watched the previous two which were equally excellent so I rec'd those too!

Last edited by ScoJo on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:00 pmI'll just say - I believe in terms of his writing, his gleeful, kamikazee over-deployment of the N-bomb is not going to age well.
I've felt this way since Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but I find it interesting that he retains a lot of support from black actors and other members of the community (though definitely not all). Somebody wrote a decent essay on this exact topic here.
By Bezulsqy
Thank you very much @ScoJo. That is more info than I even hoped for. Think I’ll go for Gretel and Hansel...
And will check out Vivarium
By inksb
Thanks for the recs @scojo. I've seen a handful of those. I agree with you on The Beach House, Host and Gretel & Hansel. All worth checking out. I almost shut off Host in the first 15 minutes but stuck with it and glad I did. Some genuine scares there.

I need to find Vivarium and Body Cam those both sound really good.
By Bezulsqy
Mario Bava's 1964 Sei donne per l'assassino a.k.a. Blood and Black Lace
score by Carlo Rustichelli

No idea why it took me so long to finally watch this. Well worth it!
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:12 pm Thanks for the recs @scojo. I've seen a handful of those. I agree with you on The Beach House, Host and Gretel & Hansel. All worth checking out. I almost shut off Host in the first 15 minutes but stuck with it and glad I did. Some genuine scares there.

I need to find Vivarium and Body Cam those both sound really good.
Y'all are both very welcome. I was kinda knocked out by hw well done Host was (under the circumstances - each cast member did their own camera/sound/lighting etc!? Crazy)
By Hatter313
A friend who’s very good childhood friends with the guy who runs shudder always gives me good scoops and was VERY positive about host the other day, seeing you all here digging it reinforces that, maybe I’ll give it a go this weekend

I’ve been holding off on Gretel and Hansel until the fall, feels like the right mood for that. I love Oz Perkins other two movies, LOVE Alice Krieg, love fairy tales (I’ve discussed before) I’m sure it’ll be a slam dunk for me

Also I’ve been listening to the Radio Rental podcast, it’s great if you like those sort of true horror stories that are usually less about the supernatural and more about weird people in the world and running across them. (Ala Reddit’s lets not meet sub where a lot of these came from) I prefer the former usually, but the format of these episodes is really great and campy and the score is done by makeup and vanity set, so that alone is worth the time
By vinyljunkie
Great list Scojo -- for smart sci-fi add "Possessor" and "Sputnik" to your list -- and just saw "She Dies Tomorrow", which I'm still processing -- and for good slow burn foreign horror check out "La Llorona"
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:47 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:00 pmI'll just say - I believe in terms of his writing, his gleeful, kamikazee over-deployment of the N-bomb is not going to age well.
I've felt this way since Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but I find it interesting that he retains a lot of support from black actors and other members of the community (though definitely not all). Somebody wrote a decent essay on this exact topic here.
Thanks @deaf, an interesting read. I don't want to get bogged down in this topic regarding QT really, but I will say this - as a white, hip hop-schooled, lyric quoting, N-bomb dropping youth (and regarding the latter, up until shockingly recently) I was given pause by author Ta Nehisi Coates - this clip explains his perspective brilliantly.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO15S3W ... e=emb_logo[/youtube]

By Bezulsqy
George Marshall and Vittorio Sala's 1964 L'intrigo a.k.a. Dark Purpose
score by Angelo Francesco Lavagnino

By inksb
This one did absolutely nothing for me. It was boring, not a single likeable character. The opening credit sequence was the only thing I liked. Skip it.

This one fared a little better on my end, my wife didn't care for it much though. If you are interested in checking out a zombie film that doesn't stray too far from the formula but uses a few interesting plot devices to keep it from feeling recycled then give it a shot. There are some decent gore gags and it's got a decent pace. I was never bored.