A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
abedunk wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:49 pm Antrum is streaming on Amazon Prime
Thanks for the heads up on this one.

I haven't watch much over the last few weeks. But here's a few I did watch.

I really enjoyed this. The wrap around of the cursed film documentary is a nice set up but ultimately I felt like it was unsuccessful. The cursed film itself I really enjoyed. They nailed the aesthetic of the era and it was a nice slow burn. Worth checking out, it's fairly short run time too.

It's been a while since I've watched the first DOA but I feel like that one may be way more absurd. This one still has the standard Miike flair and is probably a more well made film than the first. I think I was expecting more craziness though. The big standout scene is the children's play cross cut with a huge murder spree. If you like Miike and want to see a weird Yakuza type film from him check out the first and second DOA films.

This was excellent. I can definitely see this one sitting towards the top of Spike's filmography. Delroy Lindo was a force in this film, he was captivating and stole almost every scene. The whole cast was overall really great, especially da 5 bloods. The Wire fan in me really loved seeing Clarke Peters and Isiah Whitlock on screen together and we got the classic "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit" line from Isiah. Beautifully shot, Newton Thomas Sigel did an incredible job. The film's 2.5 hour runtime flies by. Definitely recommend it to everyone. Small warning, opening of the film shows footage of Vietnam war, famous stuff we have all seen but maybe not the actual footage, like the execution of Nguyen Van Lem and the children running down the streets with their flesh peeling off. It's a rough start to the film, my wife couldn't handle and wouldn't watch the film. Outside of that there is a few still photos of some of the other atrocities committed (including dead woman and children) shown part way through the film but it's brief.
By skeletonbutt
i turned it off after that tbh. i wasn't expecting it and didn't leave me in the frame of mind to continue watching especially with the runtime. the same thing left a bad taste in my mouth after blackkklansman.
By inksb
skeletonbutt wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:01 am i turned it off after that tbh. i wasn't expecting it and didn't leave me in the frame of mind to continue watching especially with the runtime. the same thing left a bad taste in my mouth after blackkklansman.
I have a feeling there's a lot of people that turned it off after that. It's rough to watch and if it's your first time you've seen that footage it must be much way worse.

I revisited both of these Neil Marshall films over the last few weeks. Dog Soldiers is still a decent film but I don't love it as much as I used to. The Descent on the other hand is a tense, claustrophobic nightmare. This one really holds up, has some nasty gore bits in and pretty great cast. Probably still my favorite Marshall film. I may revisit Doomsday in the near future, I haven't watched that since it hit DVD years ago.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Eyeball - first time viewing, expect this to be quite fun.
Attachments
FB2341B9-CA28-4A7C-A97D-AC8021E5CF36.jpeg
FB2341B9-CA28-4A7C-A97D-AC8021E5CF36.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 3759 times
By inksb
Curious to hear what you think of Orca. It's been on my list to watch for a while. Need to find it in HD though.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:42 pm Curious to hear what you think of Orca. It's been on my list to watch for a while. Need to find it in HD though.
It was excellent! I'll get you a copy.

Just finished this:

Entertaining.
By inksb
Awesome.

I really enjoyed Ready or Not. I saw it in the theaters. I've been meaning to revisit it with my wife as I think she'd really like it and she likes Samara Weaving.
By Bezulsqy
Maria Bava's 1963 La ragazza che sapeva troppo a.k.a. The Girl Who Knew Too Much
score by Roberto Nicolosi / Les Baxter re-score for English-language release

By Bezulsqy
Sergio Martino's 1975 Morte sospetta di una minorenne a.k.a. The Suspicious Death of a Minor
score by Luciano Michelini

By Bezulsqy
Sergio Martino's 1973 I corpi presentano tracce di violenza carnale a.k.a Torso
score by Guido et Maurizio de Angelis

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:45 pm Torso is quite good. Was that a first time watch for you @bez?
Yes, it was my first time watch. Now I have seen all of Sergio Martino's gialli. I do find it strange that I haven't seen quite a few well known gialli because I have seen a shitload of others. I still need to see Spasmo and Eyeball for instance.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:14 am
inksb wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:45 pm Torso is quite good. Was that a first time watch for you @bez?
Yes, it was my first time watch. Now I have seen all of Sergio Martino's gialli. I do find it strange that I haven't seen quite a few well known gialli because I have seen a shitload of others. I still need to see Spasmo and Eyeball for instance.
Oof - Eyeball is a bit of a chore tbh, especially after the promise of the amazing posters/soundtrack. Even the score is great but actually a bit samey as an LP listen. But you may get some low grade thrills from it if you're patient!

I still haven't seen Spasmo - again, amazing imagery and music, hope the flick lives up! :D

By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:02 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:14 am
Oof - Eyeball is a bit of a chore tbh, especially after the promise of the amazing posters/soundtrack. Even the score is great but actually a bit samey as an LP listen. But you may get some low grade thrills from it if you're patient!

I still haven't seen Spasmo - again, amazing imagery and music, hope the flick lives up! :D

I was thinking what my answer would be if someone asks what my favorite giallo is. I know I can't remember what at least 50 were about :-) But some do have a fixed place in my head.
In no particular order:
- Bird with the Crystal Plummage
- Solamente Nero
- The House with the Laughing Windows
- Il Diablo nel Cervello
- the 3 Duccio Tessari gialli:
La morte risale a ieri sera aka Death Occurred Last Night
Una farfalla con le ali insanguinate aka The Bloodstained Butterfly
Puzzle aka L'uomo senza memoria / The Man Without a Memory)
By inksb
Eyeball definitely didn't live up to the expectations I had for it but I did enjoy watching it, it was just mediocre.
By Bezulsqy
Mario Bava's 1963 I tre volti della paura a.k.a. Black Sabbath
score by Roberto Nicolosi / Les Baxter re-score for English-language release

By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:00 pm Eyeball definitely didn't live up to the expectations I had for it but I did enjoy watching it, it was just mediocre.
Yeah, I watched that one quite recently - thought it was trashy fun but would have been more fun if it would have been even more trashy if that makes sense. If compared directly to the works of Argento, Fulci (his gialli) or Martino I think Lenzi is of course no match but as I‘ve watched the „masterworks“ (too) often I kind of enjoy a tier B giallo every now and then as long as it‘s not dull (which can be the case quite often I have realized over the years). Some of those really don‘t age well in terms of pacing, thrills and overall entertainment.
By inksb
I have not been keeping up on my posts about what I've watched. Hoping to get back on track. I watched this last night and wanted to share.

Impetigore from the director of Satan's Slave (2017 Indonesian horror film), Joko Anwar. Satan's Slave was probably my favorite horror film of the year I watched, which I think was 2018. This follow is just as heavy on atmosphere and weirdo back country Indonesia folk horror. Cinematography is beautiful, acting is great and the direction skillful. I highly recommend this if you like atmospheric foreign horror. They used a really generic "flashback/info dump" scene that made me roll my eyes when it started but the flashback was engaging, it gave you the correct amount of info while still offering some mystery, I had to give it credit for how well it actually played out.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:31 pmIMG_2294.JPG
This movie....lots to say

But there is a shortage of John Lone performances in the world and this is a great one
By ScoJo
DEMONI

IMG_2321.JPG
IMG_2321.JPG (391.92 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

"Those screams sound real!"

"C'mon, it's the Dolby System!"

By Bezulsqy
Ottavio Alessi' 1964 Che fine ha fatto Totò baby? a.k.a What Ever Happened to Baby Totò?
score by Armando Trovajoli

What a strange movie... Not bad but quirky. It is some sort of giallo parody. Very popular at the time.

From Troy Howarth's book So Deadly, So Perverse:
Toto hobbles his dim-witted but loyal brother, thus confining him into a wheelchair, and he begins to torment his younger sibling with cruel practical jokes as his mind degenerates due to an excessive consumption of marijuna.
It is set in a country villa that is also used in Mario Bava's Blood and Black Lace that was filmed in the same year.
Bava would later use part of Armando Trovajoli's score for this film is his Gothic film: Kill, Baby... Kill!
By inksb

I'm revisiting this modern anime classic this week. My wife has actually never seen it so I figured it would be fun for her to check out. We are 5 episodes in and she's already loving it.
By Bezulsqy
These old black and white gialli are excellent for a matinee viewing.

Jean Josipovici and Ambrogio Molteni's 1964 Delitto allo Specchio a.k.a Death on the Fourposter
score by Marcello De Martino