General tape / cassette talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
It's cute, but I'm all set. I could do the same thing with a tiny BT dongle in the headphone jack. Or I could just plug in wired headphones and listen to music that sounds good.
By maxlevel
I refused for many years to use Bluetooth for audio out of principle, why convert to digital only to convert it back. Ears are analogue etc. it Is really no advantage to anyone to listen that way when a cable is fine. But, I’ve found certain applications it actually doesn’t sound that bad. It’s still a compressed disaster but then so is most digital music
By inksb
I use bluetooth for running, driving and mowing the lawn. I don't think I'd really use this much but I think it's fun and neat.
By Mateo Sanboval
I'm fine with BT. It's convenient as Hell and I use it daily. That said, I'd never stream my turntable to active speakers. And I'd never opt for BT phones when going for a walk with a portable cassette player. If I go through all of the trouble of having an analog source and player, I don't understand the desire for a short cut that only removes the cord. That's 3-12 feet of "freedom" from a source that I am still tethered to, or in some cases literally carrying, for flipping sides or skipping tracks. And on top of that, I'll spend as much or more on the BT equipment to hear the music in an inarguably lower quality. Now, I recognize that I'm sounding like a luddite, so please understand that I use Roon and Qobuz in my home system. Digital audio can be very good and the DACs are improving all the time; my new external is habit changing. I even like the look and novelty of the BT cassette deck in question so, by all means, turn your teeth the deepest of blues and thanks for letting me shake my eFist and the digital rapscalions.
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:32 pm I use Roon and Qobuz in my home system. Digital audio can be very good and the DACs are improving all the time; my new external is habit changing.
I am not well versed in the world of digital audio equipment. I'm mostly analog at home, digital on the go or at work and I just use studio monitors hooked up to my computer at work to listen to music. What is Roon and Qobuz?
By Jimmy_Mike
@mateo - well said. I had a friend ask me if he could run his turntable through his sonos and all I said was “why?” I’m your sort of Luddite. I hate BT but have a NAS hardwired to my Sonos for all my digital needs.
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:26 amI am not well versed in the world of digital audio equipment. I'm mostly analog at home, digital on the go or at work and I just use studio monitors hooked up to my computer at work to listen to music. What is Roon and Qobuz?
Inks, they are hi-rez music streaming services that perform different yet complimentary functions.
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:43 pm @mateo - well said. I had a friend ask me if he could run his turntable through his sonos and all I said was “why?” I’m your sort of Luddite. I hate BT but have a NAS hardwired to my Sonos for all my digital needs.
My man.
By Hatter313
Most of my commute is suburb trains and then subway, so streaming just doesn’t work for me. I still use an old iPod classic at work and during my commute and people give me all sorts of guff for it. And as others here, I’m analog at home. Too many systems and services and connections. Gimme hardwired, cumbersome, and expensive any day :)!!