General tape / cassette talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
I would be very interested to hear how any label pressing tapes (only?) managed to solve one of the most complex soundtrack licensing issues known to exist... that said I'm up for a tape copy either way.

EDIT - just saw the announcement for Cherry Red's 4CD set of Kubrick's film music:

We have also assembled the complete vintage ballroom music from The Shining. The final movement from Berlioz’s ‘Symphonie Fantastique’, with its epic use of the chant from the Roman Catholic Requiem mass, the ‘Dies Irae’, and a Sibelius piece, ‘Valse Triste’. Both were important to the evolution of the film.

THE SHINING (1980)
8. MUSIC FOR STRINGS, PERCUSSION AND CELESTA - Bela Bartok / Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
9. MASQUERADE - Jack Hylton & His Orchestra
10. MIDNIGHT, THE STARS, AND YOU - Ray Noble & His Orch.
11. IT'S ALL FORGOTTEN NOW - Ray Noble & His Orchestra
12. HOME - Henry Hall And The Gleneagles Hotel Band
13. DREAM OF A WITCHES SABBATH FROM SYMPHONIE FANTASTIQUE - Berlioz / Detroit SO / Paul Paray
14. VALSE TRISTE – Sibelius / Berlin Philharmonic

Seems to be missing the Penderecki, Ligeti, and the Wendy Carlos & Rachel Elkind tracks. Hoping the proposed tape release is more expansive, but again I would be impressed if they got Carlos to participate. What a mess.
By ScoJo
I'd love to be fly-on-the wall to the behind scenes hustling that must surely have been going on in recent times, labels attempting to unravel/license/release a new Shinning LP. I bet it's really fun!!

Still treasure my Wendy Carlos unreleased film music CDs (albeit I have them only digitally now) featuring dozens of cues from The Shining. Proper horrorshow, they are.
By maxlevel
@scojo is that the CD set from her own label? Rediscovering Lost Scores vol1, 2 etc.

I imagine the shining negotiations is a lot like Rex Banner trying to find the beer baron
By ScoJo
maxlevel wrote:@scojo is that the CD set from her own label? Rediscovering Lost Scores vol1, 2 etc.

I imagine the shining negotiations is a lot like Rex Banner trying to find the beer baron
Haha, spot on. Or (with all the labels who've undoubtedly all been scrambling to be 'the one') the opening of Raiders with Indy, Belloq and the hordes of baffled Iquitos!

Yes that's the very one (link for anyone who's curious...):

https://www.discogs.com/Wendy-Carlos-Re ... se/1290816
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote:I'd love to be fly-on-the wall to the behind scenes hustling that must surely have been going on in recent times, labels attempting to unravel/license/release a new Shinning LP. I bet it's really fun!!
Kubrick never made it easy... ;)
By Phatso
If you’re serious then I’ll make the prototype and post a picture of it. We can go from there. Other than that It was one of those bright idea days that lasted for...a day.
By Phatso
maxlevel wrote:
Phatso wrote:Not at all. Didn’t think anyone would be interested here.
So it’s a bootleg? It’s a cool idea, I’d buy one
I like to think of it as phatso’s promotional paraphernalia.
By Phatso
ScoJo wrote:Hmmm...... my Spidey sense is tingling about young @Phatso... something I can't quite put finger on....

If I start feel nervous here then it’s game over without a note.
By Mateo Sanboval
Phatso wrote:
ScoJo wrote:Hmmm...... my Spidey sense is tingling about young @Phatso... something I can't quite put finger on....

Phatso, you clearly have a grip of folks here that are interested in what you've proposed but just dropping crumbs instead of giving us a real taste is naturally going to lead to speculation. No one here cares one iota if you, or a "friend", makes a bootleg tape of The Shining. In fact, a bunch of us would be into it. And if you're actually going to try and produce a real tape and solve previously unsolvable rights issues, well while you may be tilting at windmills, we'd all love to be along for that ride. That said, go back and read your posts; there not terribly clear. Or at least they could be easily interpreted as meaning something very different from what you originally proposed. I think that's why folks are giving you a bit of the business. Maybe just say, "Hey, I'm gonna make some cool looking dupes of The Shining and here's the mockup. Anybody interested in this for materials and shipping?" or if you're worried the soundtrack police will crash your cave like the Kool-Aid Man, don't mention it at all in a semi-public place. Then you won't have to worry about folks blowing up your spot because they can't decode your texts. Just my neighborly pair of pennies.
By deafmetal
Phatso wrote:People do have websites and email addresses etc
If you clicked my link the first search result is the email contact page on wendycarlos.com. Good luck.
By Mateo Sanboval
Phatso wrote:

Live look in at Phatso HQ: