General tape / cassette talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Spun out of control
Heads up fellow Spinners... For those not on social media, we have a new cassette out this month.

Hattie Cooke is a rising young singer songwriter from Brighton - but with 'The Sleepers' she's in full electronic soundtrack mode.

Pre-order up now and going fast.... https://spunoutofcontrol.bandcamp.com/a ... e-sleepers

PRESS RELEASE:

Hattie Cooke debuts her new all-electronic album ‘The Sleepers’ on Spun Out Of Control

Don’t sleep… on this new release from Brighton based singer songwriter Hattie Cooke! Following her vocal-based debut on Third Kind Tapes, The Sleepers sees Hattie deliver a cinematic-sounding set of instrumental electronica for Spun Out Of Control. Mixing hauntological drones and emotionally atmospheric tracks with upbeat synth bangers, The Sleepers makes for a thrilling listen that’s hard to second guess.

Released on limited edition dual colour sable green and pink cassette + digital download. Cover and inner j-card artwork by label regular Eric Adrian Lee. Mastered by Nicholas Langley. Retail copies include a download card.

Catalogue number SOS 031.

The story behind ‘The Sleepers’:

People everywhere are falling asleep and not waking up, but nobody knows why. As the scientific community struggles to find a cure, a violent, new cult known as ‘the sect’ emerges with a mission: to sacrifice the sleepers and achieve absolution.

One morning, Maude awakes to find her sleeping son taken by the sect in the night. Searching for answers, she infiltrates the sect posing as a new convert. But she soon finds herself facing unexpected problems when she begins to fall for a fellow member who seems different from the rest.

Will Maude find the answers she’s looking for?
Attachments
Hattie Cooke The Sleepers tape cover.jpg
Hattie Cooke The Sleepers tape cover.jpg (907.99 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
By Mateo Sanboval
So this is just a straight rip of all of the audio from the film?
By inksb
seems like it, i didn't read the description before I posted. I was told it was the soundtrack but the description makes it sound like it's the audio of the entire film. Strange.
By ScoJo
Honestly guys? I wouldn't give this my cash. I'm not averse to such things normally, but they couldn't even get the co-composer name right on the artwork/copy. Fuck off, you bozos.
By maxlevel
Amazingly when I looked Wayne Bell was also the boom operator on TCM. Any cunt who spells this guys name wrong goes on my list

Also a great idea for a book: great boom operators of history
By ScoJo
^ Love this. Would buy that book stat.

Max, couple of Boom Op things I prob haven't shared before.

- When I was working on sets doing stills, the sound dept was inevitably where I would gravitate to socially. In the set heirarchy/pecking order, I guess we would seem to be at about the same level. You guys are usually the funniest (and driest) 'cunts' on set, somewhat unheralded and put-upon, and often the quirkiest too. My people.

To that end, on one film I used downtime with the boom guy to shoot an instructional film called 'Boom Chi' - a combo of booming techniques and Tai Chi. Was funny af. I have it somewhere on mini-dv tape, should really try and find it.

- I shoot films with young people and when we give out roles the kids are often excited by the boom role. (I guess like the clapper, its a bit of kit they recognise as 'film set'-ey, without having a clue what the job actually entails.)
So invariably, 30secs into the second or third take they are complaining that 'my arms hurt' and I have to swap them out ;) Typically we go through 3/4 kids before finding one with ANY stamina/lower arm strength haha.

- My fave on screen boom op is the good-natured, crop-top sporting meathead in Living In Oblivion.
By maxlevel
On-screen boom ops! Is there a long list? I know the guy who gets sliced by Dark Helmet in spaceballs. He’s totally mental and a danger to all in the vicinity and got crushed by a dolly last I heard. I’m struggling to think of screen time boom ops.

The trick with the boom is having a light pole, and balancing properly like a tight rope walker. I did 45 mins a few weeks ago no problem but on Friday I used a lighting stand and sat in the corner drinking coffee.
By reddye6
New mix tape from Dean Hurley (David Lynch sound designer). One-off edition of 200. Available from Boomkat HERE
By inksb
reddye6 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:47 pm New mix tape from Dean Hurley (David Lynch sound designer). One-off edition of 200. Available from Boomkat HERE
The samples sound really fun, I want this but can't justify spending that money right now. £15 plus shipping to the US is a bit much for a tape. I've had tapes made, at a run of 200 they are making quite the profit selling at that price.
By reddye6
Eiko Ishibashi's score to "Drive My Car" (the film won a few awards at Cannes this year), was just released on cassette. I have the CD on order, and I can't wait to get it. The little that I've heard of the score sounds gorgeous to me -- minimalist jazz improv, including Jim O'Rourke as a performer. You can hear a snippet at https://newheremusic.com/ (scroll down to Releases and click on the cover art).
By reddye6
Terror Vision is starting a subscription club for cassettes, limited initially to 100 slots. It's launching this Friday. If you sign up for the TV mailing list on their website, you'll know early when it launches.
By inksb
Interesting. I have half of TV's releases on cassette and the other on vinyl. It's always a toss up for me, if I'm unfamiliar with the score (like Pet Semetery 2) I grab cassette, if it's something I really like I grab it on vinyl (Sorority). Considering doing their club for vinyl next year.

Will there be "exclusive" scores to the tape sub or will it just mirror the vinyl sub?
By reddye6
I was wondering the same thing, Inksb. Very little info in their Facebook post -- doesn't say anything about cassette-only releases.

Here is the post text verbatim:
The Terror Vision Cassette Club launches THIS FRIDAY. Join the mailing list at terror-vision.com to be the first to find out all the details. Strictly LTD to 100 weirdos.
By Bezulsqy
I read they were going to do this. I doubt it will be for tape only releases. I assume each release also will be available on vinyl.
But we will know tomorrow.
By inksb
$145 is a bit much for a cassette sub imo. I know you actually get a lot here at 10 tapes and a bunch of extra stuff but I don't think I want to spend that much, I'd rather just sign up for the regular subscription

Hey you ghouls! After several years of people asking me to start a club for our cassettes, here we are. We’re running it exactly how we run the record club (which is different than how other labels do it). By joining you’ll get EVERYTHING we release on cassette as they come out. This membership is not for a specific set of releases but rather the next 10 cassettes we put out. I know, I know. You want a sampling of what those will be, right? Some of these titles have already had vinyl releases on other labels so we’re doing cassette-only releases whereas some of these titles we’re doing vinyl/cassette/digital on. Depends on the title. Here are some things we have coming up in the TV Cassette Club (and in TV land in general):

Monster Squad - this 1987 classic has shockingly never had a cassette release, until now. By joining the cassette club you’ll even receive an exclusive colored shell on this title.

Graveyard Shift - we’re doing this title on LP and cassette, you’ll receive the cassette by joining the club and this cassette will be hand-numbered out of 100

Escape from L.A. - a cassette-only title for us. Same deal, not quite sure why this never had a cassette release before but I’m happy to be bringing it to life. And yes, I’m talking about the score as I know the “music from and inspired by…” has had a cassette release. This is NOT that.

Jason Takes Manhattan - I always wanted the “I <3 NY” artwork with Jason chopping through the heart as a cassette release cover so I simply licensed it and am doing it myself. For this title, you’ll have an exclusive colored shell.

you get the idea. So here are the specs for the club:

the next 10 Terror Vision cassette releases (when your 10 are up you’ll have the option to renew at a discounted rate - you cannot pick and choose, it’s simply the next 10)

something exclusive to the club per title. for example, the majority will have an exclusive colored shell that’s different from the normal MO/retail shell.

an exclusive TV cassette club tee designed by Worserbeings

screenprinted case for your 10 tapes

domestic shipping IS included at this price. if you are international still buy at this link as it’s inventory controlled and you will be billed shipping as shipments occur (1st one is on us though).

this club is strictly LTD to 100 people. it will never grow. i just want to do something small and fun for diehard tape collectors.

NOTE: because of the cost of these licenses you’ll notice when these titles go up to the general public they’re going to be more expensive than we’ve ever charged for a cassette in the past. it is what it is. the cost of your membership won’t go up or anything despite what’s happening around you. also should note, some of our cassette releases will be a double cassette, you won’t be “charged” with 2 spots for a double cassette. that’s still just 1 spot in the club as far as I’m concerned. You following? Haha.

LIMIT ONE MEMBERSHIP PER HOUSEHOLD PLEASE & THX
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:49 pm $145 is a bit much for a cassette sub imo. I know you actually get a lot here at 10 tapes and a bunch of extra stuff but I don't think I want to spend that much, I'd rather just sign up for the regular subscription

Hey you ghouls! After several years of people asking me to start a club for our cassettes, here we are. We’re running it exactly how we run the record club (which is different than how other labels do it). By joining you’ll get EVERYTHING we release on cassette as they come out. This membership is not for a specific set of releases but rather the next 10 cassettes we put out. I know, I know. You want a sampling of what those will be, right? Some of these titles have already had vinyl releases on other labels so we’re doing cassette-only releases whereas some of these titles we’re doing vinyl/cassette/digital on. Depends on the title. Here are some things we have coming up in the TV Cassette Club (and in TV land in general):

Monster Squad - this 1987 classic has shockingly never had a cassette release, until now. By joining the cassette club you’ll even receive an exclusive colored shell on this title.

Graveyard Shift - we’re doing this title on LP and cassette, you’ll receive the cassette by joining the club and this cassette will be hand-numbered out of 100

Escape from L.A. - a cassette-only title for us. Same deal, not quite sure why this never had a cassette release before but I’m happy to be bringing it to life. And yes, I’m talking about the score as I know the “music from and inspired by…” has had a cassette release. This is NOT that.

Jason Takes Manhattan - I always wanted the “I <3 NY” artwork with Jason chopping through the heart as a cassette release cover so I simply licensed it and am doing it myself. For this title, you’ll have an exclusive colored shell.

you get the idea. So here are the specs for the club:

the next 10 Terror Vision cassette releases (when your 10 are up you’ll have the option to renew at a discounted rate - you cannot pick and choose, it’s simply the next 10)

something exclusive to the club per title. for example, the majority will have an exclusive colored shell that’s different from the normal MO/retail shell.

an exclusive TV cassette club tee designed by Worserbeings

screenprinted case for your 10 tapes

domestic shipping IS included at this price. if you are international still buy at this link as it’s inventory controlled and you will be billed shipping as shipments occur (1st one is on us though).

this club is strictly LTD to 100 people. it will never grow. i just want to do something small and fun for diehard tape collectors.

NOTE: because of the cost of these licenses you’ll notice when these titles go up to the general public they’re going to be more expensive than we’ve ever charged for a cassette in the past. it is what it is. the cost of your membership won’t go up or anything despite what’s happening around you. also should note, some of our cassette releases will be a double cassette, you won’t be “charged” with 2 spots for a double cassette. that’s still just 1 spot in the club as far as I’m concerned. You following? Haha.

LIMIT ONE MEMBERSHIP PER HOUSEHOLD PLEASE & THX
I subscribed the moment I saw the email :-)
By inksb
Just wanted to give folks around here a heads up in case they were interested, Salvatore Mercatante started a new tape label called Noci Miste that does tapes & mini discs. Today the label released it's second album, coming from Field Lines Cartographer, Mark Burford under his Impulse Array alias. It's quite nice minimalist electronic music. Check it out

https://nocimiste.bandcamp.com/album/su ... f-unbelief

Their first release was from Salvatore which was an interesting sketch of sorts, lots of ideas mixed together with various sounds. Ranging from ambient, upbeat, atmospheric, pulsating beats and more. All of it is available to listen to on the bandcamp pages.
By inksb
Escape From LA double cassette available on Terror Vision, check your inboxes. If you're a Tape Club subscriber you'll be getting this one.
By inksb
Two new arrivals

Skeme Richards - Shifting Gears III

First run through side A and the tape pulled out of the real when it finished. So I had to crack the case open and fix it. It was a pain but I think it's good now
PSX_20220420_100453.jpg
PSX_20220420_100453.jpg (240.62 KiB) Viewed 2554 times

Alone 1980 - Alone... Forever
PSX_20220420_100516.jpg
PSX_20220420_100516.jpg (267.15 KiB) Viewed 2554 times