General tape / cassette talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By maxlevel
@bez holy crap that looks complicated! Five belts. I had trouble with three. Buzzing can be hard to find, you’ll need a multimeter to work out where the overload is happening. I think it’s simple but time consuming, and then getting the capacitor or resistor out isn’t an easy solder either... I did find a strange grounding point on the back of the 2000, a copper strip connecting the circuit board casing to the shell. Bad grounding will cause a hum for sure
By maxlevel
Not seen a bargain in what feels like months. I missed a $25 Sony 701C with adaptor after scouring Craigslist but apart from that...
By Mateo Sanboval
maxlevel wrote:Not seen a bargain in what feels like months. I missed a $25 Sony 701C with adaptor after scouring Craigslist but apart from that...
I hear you on that bargain front. After seeing what WM-D6s and D6Cs have been going for this past year or so, it really makes my NIB purchase seem like a bargain. Unreal dinero.
By maxlevel
Two key discoveries this week! 1) Sony wm-dd battery covers are being 3D printed in Slovakia and 2) wm-DD metal door hinges are being made also. So I ordered both and I can return to an early project and maybe fix it up finally.

It’s the most damaged Walkman in my collection. If I can get it going it will be a significant achievement. I already changed the cracked centre gear for a new one

By inksb
I wish I still had my Walkman from when I was younger. I know I didn't throw it out but my mother tended to randomly sell or throw out stuff while I was gone. I came home one time after going camping to find that my Atari 2600 wasn't on top of my dresser any more, I checked the closet and my basket of 50+ games was missing as well. I asked her about it and she said that she took it to my aunt's garage sale to get rid of it since I didn't use it anymore. As the anger built up inside I asked her how much she sold it for and she said $10. I had to walk away and later explain to her how much it was actually worth.

Any recommendations on a decent portable cassette player that won't break the bank?
By maxlevel
@bez cheers dude! Just a hobby really

@inksb it’s all perception. Compared to a current portable music device anything under £200 seems reasonable where two years ago you wouldn’t even pay £50 for anything tape related. There’s not so many great models left in working order but you should be able to find a Aiwa HS p202 for under £100, or a wm-d6c but they seem to have rocketed in price. The toshiba KT range has some stylish models too, only saw these today for the first time.
By maxlevel
One of my favourite sellers on eBay, he has high prices but repairs and maintains to a high standard, and also has lots of rare items https://ebay.co.uk/usr/albdeschis but it’s unlikely to find anything under £100

You can also check out Walkman Archive’s shop. After many eBay purchases I can say for sure it’s a mixed bag, sometimes you find gold and sometimes it’s shit. Setting the search to worldwide helps
By Mateo Sanboval
I'll second Max's recommendation of the Aiwa HS p202; it's a good unit for a reasonable price. I'll fistfight anyone who finds a decent working WM-D6, C or otherwise, for under a hundred quid. In the street.

@Max - Great find on the battery door and hinges that could come in really handy.

PS - I just realized Max meant the DD not the D6. That's a good rig, too.

PPS - Fistfight offer still stands.
By maxlevel
@mateo talking of fistfights, I sold my Atari 2600, 2 controllers and at least 10 games for £2 at a carboot sale. I had just bought a Nes and didn’t want to chuck it in the bin. When I got to uni in 2001 my flat mate had a boxed mint condition set which was sold for an unholy sum
By Mateo Sanboval
maxlevel wrote:@mateo talking of fistfights, I sold my Atari 2600, 2 controllers and at least 10 games for £2 at a carboot sale. I had just bought a Nes and didn’t want to chuck it in the bin. When I got to uni in 2001 my flat mate had a boxed mint condition set which was sold for an unholy sum
That'll turn a fella's stomach.
By maxlevel
Picked up a £20 bargain, arrived today! Panasonic RQ-SW33V. Surprising bass quality, not totally hideous design

By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote:It looks like a Casio G-Shock for tapes.
Not totally hideous you say :-)
By maxlevel
Haha! The LCD screen has little feet which flash as you walk! It’s like a game watch only alot shitter.

Also, the DD above - door hinges arrived, 3D printed battery cover arrived. Checked the soldering on the battery terminal, found a ropey contact on the head. Put it all back together, door locked, cogs turned... got headphones, absolute silence from the headphones. So my soldering must be suspect... tomorrow I have the final task of resoldering the head and it’s done!
By maxlevel
@bez nearly there... it’s working, sounds beautiful as a good DD should... but I think the headphone jack connections might be screwed. I have one ear playing loud and clear, the other just won’t play ball. It sounds lovely with a mono adaptor!

By Bezulsqy
After watching the Toys that made us episode about Transformers on Netflix I decided I need this one:

By Mateo Sanboval
I should call my folks and see if they still have my old Soundwave toy. I think I have one of the tapes in a box out here. Ravage maybe? It looked like a panther.
By deafmetal
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I should call my folks and see if they still have my old Soundwave toy. I think I have one of the tapes in a box out here. Ravage maybe? It looked like a panther.
Ravage, indeed. I never knew there was an actual Soundwave cassette player though. That is wild.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I should call my folks and see if they still have my old Soundwave toy. I think I have one of the tapes in a box out here. Ravage maybe? It looked like a panther.
Ravage, indeed. I never knew there was an actual Soundwave cassette player though. That is wild.
Heck yes there was. There wax a toolbox for the good guys as well, but Soundwave was the one. He made a young Mateo very happy on one morning in December.