General tape / cassette talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Posted in the wrong thread.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By inksb
The image is so tiny! I can make out a few though. Midnight Demon, Acid Vatican (mines in the mail!), Pentagram, two Ogre (I think). The rest I''m not sure.
By maxlevel
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
maxlevel wrote:I just spotted a bargain aiwa pc202 mk3 for £100-ish. Total steal especially in box, as if that ever matters https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3250330206
Probably needs a service, but that's a fine price. Cheers, Max.
He’s put another couple up today. Must have a load of them, or people cancelled orders...

I saw this just now. A few pages back I posted pics of my sw44 in black, this is a nice light blue. I cannot stress how fast mine became the go to player in my collection. One of these in good condition whilst a bit of a chud looks wise, it’s superb sounding and lasts a long time on a single AA and has a good set of features.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3365811326
By maxlevel
Must be something in the air, a Dx100 and a Boodoo Khan on eBay today! Neither in working condition.
By Mateo Sanboval
maxlevel wrote:Must be something in the air, a Dx100 and a Boodoo Khan on eBay today! Neither in working condition.
I'd take either one of those, but not without a clear path to reputable repair which I do not have. There's a guy in Transylvania (seriously) who supposedly does amazing work, but by the time you pay for his services and the freight there and back, you're in for another $200US or so no problem.
By maxlevel
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
maxlevel wrote:Must be something in the air, a Dx100 and a Boodoo Khan on eBay today! Neither in working condition.
I'd take either one of those, but not without a clear path to reputable repair which I do not have. There's a guy in Transylvania (seriously) who supposedly does amazing work, but by the time you pay for his services and the freight there and back, you're in for another $200US or so no problem.
Yeah I spoke to him, he also has a waiting list of months if not a year! Same as marian mihokm. Dottor Walkman in italy and Serge in Barcelona also have long waiting lists. I think it’s worth it if you have several to send at once but that’s what makes the wait so long as well! There must be some stateside guys
By Mateo Sanboval
maxlevel wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Yeah I spoke to him, he also has a waiting list of months if not a year! Same as marian mihokm. Dottor Walkman in italy and Serge in Barcelona also have long waiting lists. I think it’s worth it if you have several to send at once but that’s what makes the wait so long as well! There must be some stateside guys
You'd think, and I'm sure there are, but I don't know 'em.
By deafmetal
Mateo Sanboval wrote:You'd think, and I'm sure there are, but I don't know 'em.
I might have a lead... send me a pm if needed.
By maxlevel
skeletonbutt wrote:I need a Yamaha K-850 if anyone has any leads.
Is there something specific about this model you like? Part of a stack maybe?
By skeletonbutt
Yeah, I have a CR-640 and YP-B2 and it is the matching cassette deck for those! I don't even have any tapes (yet...), just want the stack.
By maxlevel
I took a gamble on a Sony wm-dx100 this week, a rare as hen’s teeth model from Japan. The guy selling it didn’t have a battery to test it, which I do and also didn’t attempt to diagnose the issues. I found it needed a new belt, new idler tyre, had water damage in some areas but also it feels like it’s been dropped, maybe at a pool where it got water damage. The play/stop button electronics had become dislodged so pressing play meant it would rewind or change/direction, but I simply took it apart and replaced it properly. I also found a remote adaptor on eBay (Sony removed the mini jack 30 years before Apple did it) and cleaned away loads of crap from the rollers and playback head.

It all works now! But... it runs too fast. Beautiful sounding bass, Dolby works fine, auto reverse is a little clunky and it does sound like it needs a few spots of lubricant. But holy shit i feel over the moon with it. I just need to get it to slow down a tiny fraction... I’m using Pentagram Home Video’s Who’s Out There as a reference tape.
By Bezulsqy
maxlevel wrote:I took a gamble on a Sony wm-dx100 this week, a rare as hen’s teeth model from Japan. The guy selling it didn’t have a battery to test it, which I do and also didn’t attempt to diagnose the issues. I found it needed a new belt, new idler tyre, had water damage in some areas but also it feels like it’s been dropped, maybe at a pool where it got water damage. The play/stop button electronics had become dislodged so pressing play meant it would rewind or change/direction, but I simply took it apart and replaced it properly. I also found a remote adaptor on eBay (Sony removed the mini jack 30 years before Apple did it) and cleaned away loads of crap from the rollers and playback head.

It all works now! But... it runs too fast. Beautiful sounding bass, Dolby works fine, auto reverse is a little clunky and it does sound like it needs a few spots of lubricant. But holy shit i feel over the moon with it. I just need to get it to slow down a tiny fraction... I’m using Pentagram Home Video’s Who’s Out There as a reference tape.
Well done @Max! Excellent work. Hope you get it to slow down a bit.
By Mateo Sanboval
Nice find and fix, Max. Pretty soon we'll all be sending you our decks for repair.
By maxlevel
@mateo it has crossed my mind. I bought a spectrum analyser today, I think I can do many repairs but I also have to say some things can’t be fixed. I also need stuff to do in downtime, it’s not a bad hobby
By maxlevel
Got bored waiting for spares to arrive for the dx100 and bought a classic silver Wm-2 for next to nothing. It says ‘not working’ and ‘parts only’... heard it all before. It’ll be a loose wire and some soldering. Got three of these disc drive models now, love em
By maxlevel
Well what do you know! One bad solder and some general cleaning required. Punchy bass and good vibes all round

Sony wm-2

By Mateo Sanboval
Awesome work, Max. Pretty soon, I'm gonna start sending my drunken soldiers off to you for sobering up.
By maxlevel
I have 12 portables, plus a nakamichi. What happens is when work is quiet I need something to do, and the delivery times for parts varies so I end up finding bargains and getting them going while waiitng for other parts

I saw an article this week about a guy with over 1000 walkmans who mixes tape tracks live. That’s phenomenal, I’ve always loved Endtroducing for this reason
By Mateo Sanboval
maxlevel wrote:I’ve always loved Endtroducing for this reason
One of the greatest albums of our lifetime.