General tape / cassette talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:21 pm Did I miss something or has Spun Out of Control not released a tape in 6 months?
I don't mind to be honest because getting every version of every release was getting a bit out of hand :-)
I have around 120 SOS tapes I think...
Funny I was just thinking this about a week ago. I stopped picking up every release a year or so ago, it was getting to be a bit much and I wasn't listening to everything. But my cassette buying in general has slowed down a lot too.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:59 pm Which u-Super release has been your favorite so far @bez?
number 2 and 3
They are really great.
The first one was nice as well. Number 4 for some reason didn't click totally.

All in all very good quality.
By Bezulsqy
BurningTapes wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:20 am "We at usuper towers LOVE that tape deck !"

Thanks for picking them up, appreciate the support
Thank you. I do love that machine.
Can you tell me something about the tapes you are using? My machine identifies them as Ferro Chrome I believe.
They sound great.
By BurningTapes
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:30 pm
BurningTapes wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:20 am "We at usuper towers LOVE that tape deck !"

Thanks for picking them up, appreciate the support
Thank you. I do love that machine.
Can you tell me something about the tapes you are using? My machine identifies them as Ferro Chrome I believe.
They sound great.

Yeah here is the official blurb -
TYPE ONE: FERRIC OXIDE
LOW NOISE
NORMAL BIAS

I’ve been using a place in the U.K. for years that the major labels have now cottoned on to, so they make ours alongside Billie Eilish 😄
By Bezulsqy
A shame I missed out on the bottle of holy water…
But what a score this is
Attachments
IMG_0333.jpeg
IMG_0333.jpeg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 2712 times
By inksb
Few tapes I've been spinning lately

PSX_20231102_113941.jpg
PSX_20231102_113941.jpg (344.31 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
PSX_20231102_114102.jpg
PSX_20231102_114102.jpg (490.73 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
By ChrisMcQueen007
Sooo, I‘ve decided to get back into the cassette game. Actually, we bought our daughters a cassette player a few months ago as we thought they might enjoy the experience with physical media rather than spotify when listening to stories and children‘s music - and they do (dad is proud :)).

So then I decided to treat myself to a walkman as a Christmas present to myself - which was quite a journey - and boy these have become expensive (probably also still to the hype created in the wake of Guardians of the Galaxy and the latest season of Stranger Things).

First one I got didn‘t work properly even though advertised as refurbished (got reimbursed), so I bit the bullet and got me a Sony DD2 which is truly refurbished and sounds great. So I‘m happy.
Attachments
IMG_2216.jpeg
IMG_2216.jpeg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 2318 times
By bpwlogan
Nice player Chris. It would be nice if someone would put out a decent portable new player with the minor cassette revival going on. I bought two new players in the past 18 months and they both lasted about a month; I believe one of the players was from a French maker and it was rather pricy. I do have an old Sony here that needs to be refurbished but I think its around $100 (still on the fence about that one).
By ChrisMcQueen007
bpwlogan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:30 pm Nice player Chris. It would be nice if someone would put out a decent portable new player with the minor cassette revival going on. I bought two new players in the past 18 months and they both lasted about a month; I believe one of the players was from a French maker and it was rather pricy. I do have an old Sony here that needs to be refurbished but I think its around $100 (still on the fence about that one).
Yes, agree, bpwlogan. At least if they do bring new players to the market at a rather steep price tag, these should be working fine and be built to last for years rather than months. Was also looking into the ‚We are rewind‘ portable player but what I found online in terms of reviews + my wish to have an OG Sony led me to take this path.
By inksb
That We Are Rewind player looks terrible imo. I hate the design on it and the few reviews I read didn't seem to justify the absurd cost. To my knowledge almost all new portable cassette decks are manufactured by the same company so the internals are all pretty much the same. Buying a properly serviced old model is a better use of your money at the moment. Unfortunately the cost of good portable player has kept me from buying one. I really wish I still had the ones that I owned in the 90's, no idea what happened to them.