General tape / cassette talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By EvanCampbell
Chris thanks for website...I might also pick up another roller for my luxman deck as well.

Scott love the simple outward design of these old machines then underneath a nightmare of complicated tech. It's amazing some of this stuff works for any long period of time.
By ScoJo
EvanCampbell wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:10 pm Chris thanks for website...I might also pick up another roller for my luxman deck as well.

Scott love the simple outward design of these old machines then underneath a nightmare of complicated tech. It's amazing some of this stuff works for any long period of time.
Yeah, there’s plenty you can still source/replace under the hood with these, but if the motor craps out it’s hasta lasagne, don’t get any on ya.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:10 pm Kinda related to the above… I’ve been servicing my Copicat tape delay unit for use at upcoming support slot with Graham Reynolds. Sounding pretty great. No pinch rollers on these bad boys, just carefully calibrated tape tension on the heads. There’s 50x ways these fuckers can go wrong, you live in abject fear using them live.
This is awesome, how old is this unit? Tape delay is one of my absolute favorite effects, some day I'd like to own a physical unit but for now I just use a really good VST that emulates the Roland RE-201
By ScoJo
It’s the Super IC model from mid 70s, solid state. There are earlier valve versions that are really something. I’ve had a few different models over the years, I particularly like these with the multiple input - you can use them in the setup as a pre-mixer.

I took it apart today and adjusted the spring tension on the jockey arm - has really improved tension of tape across the heads, sounds fantastic.