General tape / cassette talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
@static I almost bought that tape when it came out but I decided to watch the movie first and I really disliked it so I skipped the soundtrack. I may need to revisit the soundtrack though as I've liked most of TV's output. The film just put me off immediately.

@monster thanks for putting these up, I love that I have this in the collection.
By inksb
I ordered the new Phantoms Vs Fire tape, Superbloom II and it came with a bonus tape from the label, Mystic Timbre. I've never heard of the group but the album is pretty good.
Superbloom II is really good.
By inksb
Nice @bez! I was just looking at copies of that tape on discogs, although a bit too expensive for me to consider importing.

This arrived over the weekend from TV. Easily my favorite release from them for a while outside of Unsolved Mysteries.

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:05 pm Nice @bez! I was just looking at copies of that tape on discogs, although a bit too expensive for me to consider importing.

This arrived over the weekend from TV. Easily my favorite release from them for a while outside of Unsolved Mysteries.

I have three copies. One still sealed, one that is unplayable and one that sounds ok. You have to be a bit lucky with old tapes. Sometimes they are fucked. I think I bought mine on eBay three years ago.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:53 am I have three copies. One still sealed, one that is unplayable and one that sounds ok. You have to be a bit lucky with old tapes. Sometimes they are fucked. I think I bought mine on eBay three years ago.
Agreed, I rarely buy old tapes. A lot of the times they are not great. I generally will only do it if I can get them very cheap.
By Spun out of control
If you've been missing some big, dumb, Carpenter-ish synth fun from your cassette deck, wrap your speakers around this 'un via Neil Scrivin's Fonolith label (left). Sounds like a sequel to Unit Black Flight's tape from a while back (right).

I'm hearing Carpenter's Lost Themes albums without Daniel Davies' guitar squall..

Looks like it's sold out direct via their Bandcamp, but know Boomkat and Bleep have copies too.
Attachments
THE GULFFIRE - MISSION TAPES VOL. I Fonolith copy.jpg
THE GULFFIRE - MISSION TAPES VOL. I Fonolith copy.jpg (759.42 KiB) Viewed 5313 times
By inksb
Phantoms Vs Fire newest release, Modern Monsters I & II arrived a few days ago, finally had a chance to listen yesterday. I loved Modern Monsters release from last year, it's probably my favorite release from Thiago and the second part lives up to the first. I snapped a pic of all his tapes, if you haven't heard Superbloom II you should check that out over at Mystic Timbre bandcamp as well.

By inksb
NathanLurker wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 pm Going back to my witch-house collection for this compilation of tribute tracks to Videodrome.

That's awesome looking. Is there a place I can check it out online?
By NathanLurker
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:40 pm
NathanLurker wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 pm Going back to my witch-house collection for this compilation of tribute tracks to Videodrome.
That's awesome looking. Is there a place I can check it out online?
I don't think so, it's not available anymore on the label's bandcamp. I"ll send you a PM
By inksb
Here's two custom tapes I made recently. The tape on the right is a mixtape I made of some of my favorite tracks from Griselda, who is Westside Gunn, Conway the Machine and Benny the Butcher. I designed the j-card, sequenced the tracks and even had to do some editing on a few tracks to cut out long outro's (and even two verses from artists I didn't care for) to fit onto the 45min per side.

The tape on the left is a new EP from Conway the Machine and The Alchemist. Same thing on side A and B. Artwork is from the official LP that was only sold with a $300 jacket (lol). So I made a tape out of it.

By inksb
skeletonbutt wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:53 am great job! i wish i could do that for some vhs tapes i have but don't have a good enough printer.
Thanks. The printer I use is actually pretty shitty, it never produces the colors correctly, the blue on the interior of that one tape I had to up the brightness 58% just to get it close to what was originally on my screen. Creating a VHS cover sounds fun but would require hi res art to print nicely. I can get away with low res artwork on cassette j-cards because they are so small.