General tape / cassette talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
maxlevel wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:20 am Huge Terror Vision box arrived full of vinyl and tapes! Where to start...

Nice haul @max! I have all of those except Brain Damage and Deadtime Stories. I really dislike the film Deadtime Stories, don't remember the score. I should grab that tape eventually. And Brain Damage will be grabbed with my next TV purchase. I do wish that He had released Killing Spree on tape, that's a fun soundtrack but I don't want to spend $30 on it.
By inksb
Well this beautiful little tape showed up in my mailbox yesterday. I love this soundtrack so much. If any US folks want one let me know I'll just send it to you free of charge, the guy who made these sent me two by accident and since he's from Canada I'm not paying to ship it back to him. Also he charged scumbag prices on this IMO and took almost 6 months to deliver on it even though when the order was placed "they were in hand". Charged $15 plus $8 shipping. It's just a copy of the CD on cassette so no special mastering or anything but it sounds pretty good.

By inksb
I dug out a custom tape I made myself a few years ago for one of my favorite Blown Out albums. The tape was sold out at the time so I just made my own

By inksb
maxlevel wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:49 am Currently preferring Ream to From Water. But maybe it’s because of the weather this week
Every time I play one of the tapes I say to myself that I prefer this one to the last one but as soon as it finishes I put the other tape in and think the same damn thing. They are both great, I'm still undecided on which one I like more.

I have one or two new tapes coming in the mail today that I'll be posting over the weekend. It depends on if the label actually sent both of them, I've been trying to get these tapes since January and February when every one else got their copies. The label keeps "forgetting" to mail them. I've had 3 shipping labels created and never sent.
By inksb
Damn @max, mine hasn't even shipped.

Side note: are you on instagram max? I found some one on there with max as their name and has similar tape decks but you never know it could just be a complete coincidence
By maxlevel
Yeah that’s me! @maxdevere I’m not massively into it but I had some fetus at work calling me old last summer so i joined up

Tape is excellent, in my favourites of the whole series.
By deafmetal
Videogram EP in the realm of Carpenter’s The Thing, including an interesting cover of Morricone’s Humanity Pt. 1 with some nice and thick electronic percussion. Recommended.
By inksb
I almost ordered that Crypt Vapor set a few days ago. Still undecided, I'm going to give it another listen this week before I pull the trigger.
By inksb
This arrived yesterday. I listened to it 3 times in a row. It's an incredible album.

Unfortunately I either got a bad tape or all of the tapes are bad. This thing sounds like shit. I have random crackling in parts of track one, the low end is insanely distorted and clips my level meter. When I listen to the digital version on bandcamp it sounds so much better. Pretty bummed about this and will probably just order the LP for my normal listening and add this to the shelf as "collectors item"
By inksb
static14 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:28 pm @inks why not just record over the tape using the digital files as the source?
Definitely could, I would have to buy the digital version of the album (tape didn't come with a code) or obtain the FLAC through other means to do so. And that's if the tape isn't bad, I tried this with bad tape I got from Rendezvous LA which I thought was a bad dub and the tape itself was the problem.

I really like the album and wouldn't mind it on vinyl, so this gives me the excuse to buy it again I guess. I could also sell it on discogs, it's selling way higher than it should be already.
By Bezulsqy
Second @Deaf's comments: @Oiche!!!!

And @Insk I have the tape and the LP in my hands in the next week or so. I'll let you know how they sound.