General tape / cassette talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Oiche wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:53 pm Image

Starting with Richard tonight. Havent heard these in a long time.
Oiche, you absolute show off! How the heck are you?
By Oiche
Thanks boys, been while since Ive visited. @Mateo - I’m pretty good amigo. Like getting those updates from Bandcamp as to the Mateo purchases! Always leads to the good stuff :)
By Mateo Sanboval
Uh-oh. Static's on a cassette tape bender. There's no telling what he could get up to...
By Oiche
Bear with me as I have boxes of cassettes just out of storage. This evening I have been wading through compilations of IDM, techno, ambient etc etc from the John Peel show 1993-1995 (yes, I’m old..) NIce to see the home made covers on some including if you look closely, a cover made from a letter from the local council about too much loud music from my house at the time :)
By inksb
Those are awesome Oiche. I found an old box of tapes last summer that, lots of memories attached to them. From mixtapes to live sets with hand written labels.
By Mateo Sanboval
Glorious. I bet there's some gold on those Peel recordings.
By Dollarhyde
Great to see old tapes like that @oiche nice that you have managed to keep them all and in nice condition too.
How do they sound?

I had a similar set of tapes consisting of kiss FM recordings from the 90's. Predominantly recordings of Sunday evening/nights when you would get. Giles peterson, Dr Bob jones, and late night Patrick forge. I only have a few tapes left now, no tape player though :(.

Learnt so much listening to those shows they were all really eclectic djs , and serious crate diggers.
By Oiche
They dont sound too bad Dollarhyde, but thats probably more to do with the Nak than the quality of recordings! :D
Indeed there is Mateo, bought some great wax off the back of making those comps; autechre, caustic window, juno reactor, luke slater, air liquide, irresistible force, sons of the subway, etc etc. Back in the day when you would literally rather go without food and spend your last fiver on some wax!!
By ScoJo
Air Liquide!

Jesus, I haven't thought about those 12"s in 20 years. I remember a blue vinyl one which was a monster!

(*scurries away for a bit of Nostalg-o-scouring*)
By Mateo Sanboval
Haha! I had ScoJo's exact reaction but I was thinking of Juno Reactor. Classic bits there.
By Oiche
@maxlevel, you wont regret it, so so good... Polypores back catalogue will change hands for silly money in years to come is my prediction! :)
By inksb
Delivery day! Warning: lots of images in this post, sorry.

Castlevania Bloodlines is one of the best soundtracks from the Sega Genesis. I was really hoping Mondo was going to include it in their series as they did 1-4, Rondo & Symphony but I feel like they are probably just ignoring it. Then we have Ikaruga, one of the best shoot em up games ever made, hard as well and an incredible score. This was developed for the Naomi arcade hardware and then ported over to the Dreamcast where I played it for the first time. And since has been ported to almost every modern console at the time. Finally the last tape with only a Japanese title is the soundtrack to Angel's Egg, an anime from the 80's. I know a few folks on here are familiar with it and might even have the OST on vinyl (pretty sure @dollarhyde has it). I'll be listening to these all night long, starting my long weekend with some great music.