Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

惑星アドベンチャー スペース・モンスター襲来! - Planet Adventure, Space Monster Attack!

A.K.A. 'Invaders From Mars' rescored by Japanese composer/guitarist Shoji Yokouchi in 1979

https://www.discogs.com/横内章次-惑星アドベンチャー- ... se/9735191

A mysterious record that is equally tricky to track down. In the late 70's around '79 Toho in conjunction with "I.P." (International Promotions) re-released the U.S. 1953 classic Invaders From Mars to Japanese cinema goers.
It's worth noting this was also around the time that Stan Lee and Marvel made a deal with Toei to share intellectual properties in a three year deal (giving us japanese spiderman and Tomb of Dracula).
Anyhow, back to Invaders from Mars, I cannot comment on the films availability in Japan before this, however it is easy to see similarities with this film and the hugely popular Tokusatsu (FX) genre e.g. Kamen rider etc... as well as the Kaiju genre.

The film was redubbed with Japanese voice actors for this release, but for whatever reason, possibly to contemporise with other films of the time, they also completely rescored the movie. Something similar to what Giorgio Moroder did with Metropolis in '84.

It's also worth pointing out the same two companies (Toho & IP) gave the same treatment to another vintage U.S. classic Shirley Temple's The little Princess 1939. I believe this was re-released at the same time as Planet Adventure, Space Monster Attack! and yes, I have a copy of the LP ost en route from Japan :D.

I have made some effort to find the actual movie with the 79 dub but I think it never got to DVD, there was a VHS release with this dub on it released though. Maybe one day a fansubber will sub the dub back to english :D

On to the music. Its very much of its time and you can hear the money columbia were throwing at these releases in the quality of the recording and musicianship. A bit of everything, orchestral arrangements, funky soul disco goings on, synthy effects and riffs, lots to enjoy.

I've uploaded a selection of the more exciting tracks to youtube but please PM me if you want all the tracks in FLAC plus I have the whole LP in WAV.

0:00 A1 Main Title
2:17 A2 The Landing Of Invader
5:07 A3 Fear Of Robotomy
6:02 B1 Challenge To The Unknown
8:58 B2 Warning Shooting Of General And Chief

The first track A1 starts of with some cheese opening theme. ( this is staple for Japanese OST of this ilk) however toward the end of the opening theme things take a turn for the moodier as the tempo suddenly drops , almost sounding goraguer like imo.
The last track in the first clip (B2) is where things really get interesting. The whole track is basically a drum break and they loop it over and over in a fashion not unlike Bambaataa or Cool Herc at a block party, I honestly have not edited it at all.

0:00 B3 Aerospace Laboratory
03:38 B4 Mysterious Space Monster
06:32 B5 Raid Of Space Monster
11:43 B6 Another Universe Is Born

The second clip carries on from B2 with... B3 where they bring that drum break right back but slowly build with synths and strings, and keep on building until the track transitions into B4 with a more soulful rock swing groove which ends up with some great moog work towards the end. B5 is my favourite cut from the album so so good. and lastly I left in the ending theme which is basically a reprise of the opening theme.

And there you have it. maybe I will do a second deep cut for the little princess :D will have to hear what it sounds like. I did find one clip on youtube, and there was like a second of fuzz guitar! soo fingers crossed :D