Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Stomu Yamash'ta's East Wind's 1974 score to the documentary One by One.

It is hard to find accurate information about this movie. Some information on the internet contradicts other info.
According to iMDB One by One was made in 1974 by Claude Du Boc and released in 1975. It follows drivers during the 1973 Formula 1 season. Runtime is 100 minutes.
This documentary is about the dangers and accidents that were frequent during those years. Formula 1 was very different from what it is now.

If I am not mistaken there are 3 edits. The original 100 minute edit by the name of One by One.
One of drivers featured in One by One is Tom Pryce. After his death at the 1977 South African Grand Prix the documentary was re-issued as The Quick and the Dead in 1978. The running time was edited to 88 minutes.
That version can be found as a stream on Amazon
A third edit is called Champions Forever and you can watch it for free on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/106508908
This is the edit that I have seen and it does not start with Tom Pryce’s crash. But in the credits it is mentioned. That means this edit is also from 1978 or maybe later. Even if you do not care about Formula 1 check out the start of the movie simply because of the music.

Some comments on amazon:
Most of the scenes date from 1973. The film was first shown as One by One in 1975. A later edit to open the film with a fatal 1977 accident was unnecessary, at best. After about 15 minutes you 'll know if you like the style and material. Stacy Keach's narration is respectful along with a bit of world-weary cynicism. The score is very much of its time and builds from understated to far-out. This is the story of a sport rather than the story of the 1973 season.
Sure, the musical score is a little weird, and the filmaker goes psychedelic in the middle of the movie, but this is some of the most candid, behind the scenes footage of this era.

That brings us to the score. Thanks against to the folks from the podcast El Diabolik’s World of Psychotronic Soundtracksfor bringing this to my attention!

Stomu Yamash’ta created a memorable score with a true 1970s sound. To me he was an unknown. But I am sure many of you will be aware of him or others described next. In 1976 he formed the group Go including on vocals and keyboard Steve Winwood (Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, …), Al Di Meola on lead guitar, Klaus Schulze (briefly Tangerine Dream) on synthesizers and Michael Shrieve (Santana) on drums.
Stomu Yamash’ta was born as Tsutomu Yamashita in 1947 in Kyoto. According to Wikipedia he is best known for pioneering and popularizing a fusion of traditional Japanese percussive music with Western progressive rock music in the 1960s and 1970s.

Also from Wikipedia:
He has composed for the British Royal Ballet; contributed pieces from his albums to the Nicolas Roeg film The Man Who Fell to Earth (starring David Bowie); performed in Peter Maxwell Davies's score for Ken Russell's The Devils and in John Williams' score for Robert Altman's Images (1972). He has also composed film scores.[1] His Space Theme was used by the BBC on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Stomu Yamash'ta's East Wind is the name of the band that created the score for One by One. Among others it includes Brain Gascoigne (Phase VI) on keyboards, Hugh Hopper on bass and Gary Boyle on guitar.

I am not very good in describing the nature of the tracks. You better listen for yourself. Not all of the tracks are on Youtube. The ones that are I featured in this deep cut.

There are some killer tracks here!
First of the title track that contains this drum break:

A2 is a funky song called Hey Man containing these lyrics:
They dig this mad world of speed
Hooked like Jones of weed
Well, it’s a gamble, it’s walking the line
But if you get home
Oh lord, you feel fine

This a a version from the Peel Sessions:

A4 and A5 are nice companions. First you have the dark and tragic sounding Black Flame followed by the more cheerful Rain Race. The latter does remind me of a water ballet of sorts.

Side B starts with another song called Superstar:
Well, well, well, well, well, well
People point and say he’s the one
Faster than a bullet hot from a gun
Well, is he some mother’s son
This dude is fast
Oh, the top of his class
He’s a bad ass
Oh, nobody else can pass
He’s fast

B2 Loxycycle is 8 minutes of fuzzy and funky brilliance.

B4 Seasons is simply a cover of a part of Tchaikovsky’s The Seasons.
B5 Accident has some nice drums and cymbals suited to accompany a car crash in 1970.

Side A and B end with this:

If you don’t care for a version with an obi there are plenty of affordable copies out there: https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?maste ... rmat=Vinyl

I made a rip of all the tracks for you beautiful folks to get here: Dropbox

If there are any issues with files let me know.
Bez, this is simply awesome. And the Dropbox bit...just over the top and appreciated. I have a couple of Stomu LPs and rips but I've never even heard of this one before. going to "spin" this all afternoon. Maybe time to make a Fast and Furious supercut with this as the score.