Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

I am not the most knowledgable soundtrack wise and probably not the first person to think of when considering nominations for a new deep cut, but last week I received this record that I haven't seen on STBC before so I am going for it!

I can't imagine that most people on here don't know about this one. It is very electronic and dark and is catchy as hell. The fantastic podcast El Diabolik introduced me to this record about a year ago. Why it took me a year to actually buy I do not know. Check that podcast out here: https://eldiabolik.wordpress.com/

Die Schwarze Spinne (The Black Spider) is a Swiss movie from 1983 by Mark Rissi based on a novella written in 1842 by the Swiss writer Jeremias Gotthelf. I am not going to delve into the plot as we are here for the music.

Have a taste of this:

Carlos Peron was born in 1952 in Zurich, Switzerland. He is one of the founders of the band Yello

He still is creating music and is active on soundcloud and bandcamp.

Looking into other scores he might have done I couldn’t find much. But there is this interesting 12" on Milan for Antonio Margheriti’s 1985 war movie Commando Leopard featuring Klaus Kinski. Apparently Ennio Morricone is credited for that score. I have not seen that movie or heard the music but I am thinking that would have been a great release for One Way Static...

Back to DIe Schwarze Spinne.

My favorite track probably is the first track of side B. It is a dark industrial sounding piece of german spoken-word. Apparently it was a big club hit back in the day and spawned a lot of remixes.

You can listen to all of the tracks including remixes on bandcamp, spotify and itunes. But here are some more tracks from youtube as they embed the best in here:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFirOnX1dSQ[/youtube]

Maybe I didn't delve very deep for a deep cut, but I find it hard to describe the specific tracks more in detail. In my mind it mainly goes like: fantastich, geweldig, supervet, ik draai de plaat nog een keer!

I you have any tips or tricks or other feedback let me know. Maybe in six months time I'll try again.
Film and score are all new to me, Bez. There are some cool sounds in Dance of Death and while industrial music has always been pretty hit or miss for my ears, the main titles theme is catchy. And the notion that is was a club/radio hit makes me pine for the days when film music achieved crossover appeal with a bit more regularity than now. For me, Summertime is the best time to explore upbeat 80s electronics and Breaking In definitely fits the bill. I like that'n a lot. Nice work!
@bez
great deep cut!

Completely unknown to me until now. I've always been a fan of YELLO so it's great to know that at least half of the duo have been involved in film scoring (all those movies that used 'the race' don't count ;))

'Breaking in' is rocking my world, and I'm liking all the other tracks too.

On a side note my brother used to always go on about how YELLO had the biggest library of samples in the world, not as in hip hop samples, but rather things such as a ping pong ball being hit or a watermelon being smashed.
static14 wrote:It's nice to know thats there's always still stuff out there to be discovered.
Agreed. Along with the fine camaraderie, it's quite simply what I love about STBC the most.
@Bez -

Oh wow, you really got me with this one! Listening to full album now on YT and it's pretty dam great. Those buzz-saw riffs and weird beats on the title track are a grabber for sure. I'll be hoovering this up on The Cogs asap, dank u wel for bringing this gem to my attention :) Knight's Theme is killer, has a real Moroder/Doldinger vibe to it. This is really gut sheisse!!

Oh and as for the movie - sounds like a must see, in the realm of all those druggy/sleazy/heavy German crime films of the late 70s and early 80s (the Roland Klick stuff etc...)

Another awesome deep cut, I echo others sentiments here about the precious spirit of sharing and ego-less comraderie the folks on here show each other. STBC remains my one and only soundtrack/vinyl hangout for these reasons. Chin chin!
@Bez - Awesome deep cut you just casually dropped like a bomb on the forum. The score and film are completely unknown to me as well. The music has my full attention, as I was one of those beret-wearing electro/industrial music nerds back in the day. I'm pretty stoked on the material!
Dollarhyde wrote:I mean 'oh yeah' (doh doh, chukachuk, chukaaa) not 'the race', don't I.
@Dollar - Yeah, but don't sweat it. As overplayed as that track was, I always enjoyed it back in the 80's. I believe that for many of us (at least in the states), Ferris Bueller's Day Off is some kind of weird generational marker, and that cut was always memorable. Although I never explored the band Yello's work or solo projects as much as I should have (obviously from this deep cut), I have seen that music used to great effect, and even resurrected with things like Richie Hawtin's Orange/Yellow EP's on Minus Records.

I agree with all of you, yet another reason why this forum is still the best.
Thank you all. Very happy with the responses. Did not think you lot hadn't known about this record.

Here is a remix of Der Komtur with images from the movie. It is not a favorite track of mine (a bit too much remixy) but it contains the only images of the movie I could find.

@Bez, nice one! I can say I have heard of this. I have actually bid on it the few times it's come up on ebay. Sorry to say I lost each time. It was on my radar for a bit but had dropped off as other stuff becomes available. Looks like I will have more competition now that others are becoming aware of it.

Excellent Deep Cut! Well done.