Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Dollarhyde
DEEP CUT 28
The TOEI Marvel Connection

In the middle of 1978, with the help of Stan Lee, Marvel signed a 3 year agreement with Japanese TV production company TOEI. Basically the agreement was that each company could use the others intellectual properties as they saw fit.
For Marvel this was as an opportunity to familiarise Japan with it’s many historic super heroes. For TOEI only a few elements of Japanese Tokusatsu culture made it across to the USA, more so in the form of toy-lines than TV shows , although eventually long after the deal ended the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers made its way to the states, along with badly dubbed and horrifically edited anime of course. Stan Lee apparently pushed for a U.S. super sentai (power ranger) show in the 80’s but nobody picked it up.
read and watch more here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man ... TV_series)

A handful of Japanese TV shows and OVAs (Original Video Animation) were spawned from the deal, the quality of which is most definitely questionable, we will get to that later, however the scores to these productions were generally the opposite.
I know of 5 different shows tied to this deal, there may be more.
First off.

THE ECCENTRIC SOUNDS OF SPIDER MAN by Chumei Watanabe
Nippon Columbia
CQ- 7010 1978 and CX-7184 1984

The 1984 release contains the intro and ending Vocal theme songs which are missing from the earlier 1978 release.

This was the first show to be made as a result of the marvel/toei deal. Japan already had their own type of super hero shows that were well established from the 60’s, with the numerous variations of the Ultraman franchise, the many Kamen (masked) rider shows and the sentai goranger (power ranger) series, all a part of the Tokusatsu genre.
I wont go on about the show, as Ithink that has been covered in the links above.

So to what we are here for, the music!
I put up my own little edits of the albums, selecting a few tracks to give a flavour of the record, hit me up for full rips ;).
Lets start with a youtube clip of the opening theme which I didn’t include in my mix.

Chumei Watanabe seems to be the don when it comes to Tokusatsu scores, particularly in the late 70’s and early 80’s, this guy made a lot of music and he has a recognisable sound, particularly around the dawn of the 80’s lot’s of disco, boogie sounds and plenty of funky beats and basslines, but what I really love about Chumei’s work is it’s unexpected variety.

As with, what it seems, all Tokusatsu OSTs have you get a strong bold vocal opening theme tune sung, and at times shouted, in a very particular style. These Vocal intro songs have slowly and surely been becoming my guilty pleasure, they’re so catchy and full of energy and optimism and often, when you eventually find a translation, some surprisingly heavy lyrics.
http://soundcloud.com/oblong/spiderman-edit

Kicking of the soundclip is the track 'Theme of Chase' with a bassline reminiscent of Bob James' Winchester Lady. A typical 70's funky affair to begin with, then a couple of minutes in we get some suspense cues, and things slowly start to get more interesting particularly when the beat comes back with some lovely vibes work.

At around 5 minutes in we get to the oddball intro of 'Super Ability' with its goofy yet suspenseful percussion and the rhythmical melody of what exactly I'm not sure, steel drum? gamelan? 7 minutes in and you'll see what I mean by variety as Chumei drops into some hawaii style xylophone Burt Bacharach vibes, as you do.
I swear the guy would just throw anything at the track and see if it would stick, and leave it there even if it didn't. This OST is actually very conservative compared to some of his other work, as you will hear later.

The next track in the mix is 'Theme of Invasion' full of suspenseful spy grooves, check the great beat and bassline around the 11/12 minute mark.

After this more of that crazy steel drum suspense music in the track 'An Oath For Revenge' which starts of sounding like some kind of Egisto Macchi avant garde oddity.

Just under 17 minutes in we have the last track, and the one I play the most, 'Under the Light of Daybreak' a straight up funky number with great drums and bassline and super slinky wah wah. Seriously, in the 70's, in Japan, wah wah is just everywhere, they really seemed to dig it, and they were really good at it too!

TOMB OF DRACULA or DRACULA: SOVEREIGN OF THE DAMNED by Seiji Yokoyama
Nippon Columbia CQ-7057 1980

Another venture created through the Marvel/TOEI deal was this huge flop of an OVA, the animation tanked in Japan, I don't know exactly why, the story is rather ridiculous for one, although it is based off storylines from the original Marvel comics, not that I have read them. However, apparently it takes multiple storylines and chops and screws them up. It's one shining grace, I guess, is not being as bad as 'Frankenstein!' Marvel/TOEI's other period OVA. Secondly, visually both of these OVAs have a very western graphic style compared to most other anime and the storylines are rather dull (yes that includes a hamburger eating dracula and space jesus) compared to other anime of the time.

Both of these are up on youtube, and they are hilariously bad, I've not made it all the way through Dracula Sovereign of the Damned, but I did sit through Frankenstein! a brilliant retelling with suprise shotgun suicides and dinnertime cadever flashbacks.
Here is a link to a deeper look at Dracula Sovereign of the damned including a running commentary.
and links to the OVA itself, aswell as Frankenstien.

http://comicsalliance.com/comicsallianc ... racula-an/

Now to the music, which in stark contrast to the OVA is a real tour de force.
http://soundcloud.com/oblong/dracula-sovereign-of-the-dammned-edit

We start off with 'Prologue' which really sets the tone for the majority of the LP and lives up to Seiji's pseudonym for the LP 'The Transylvania Baroque Ensemble'. He certainly gets the Dracula vibe spot on right from the get go.
I want to focus on the tracks that incorporate electronics into the orchestral/small group compositions, as this is what really fascinates me about this LP.
Next up is a small slice of sublime spooky perfection 'Theme of Quincy Harker' pared down and moody, particularly for an anime OST, suspenseful jazz funk. The little electronic flourishes just send a tingle down my spine every time, and the flute solo towards the end is the cherry on the cake.
I had to stick the other funky numbers in so next up is 'Vampire Hunters', more awesomeness.

After this an orchestral number 'The legend of Transylvania' again the subtle electronic touches are beautiful, bubbling in the background, not just random but carefully timed with the music.
Then we finish off the funk with 'Battle of Death' with a very intense xylophone lead, and again the electronics accompany perfectly, the crunchy moog-like bassline is great.
Lastly we have 'Lucifer's Waltz' which although not funky in any way really exemplifies how brilliantly Seiji got the electronics and the orchestra to work together.

BATTLE FEVER J by Chumei Watanabe
Nippon Columbia CQ-7019 1979 and CX-7183 1984

Like the Spider man release the later 1984 release includes the intro and ending theme from the show.

After the success of Spider man in Japan Marvel suggested to bring over Captain America, they ended up with Battle Fever J. The only part of the show that connects to Marvel's original intentions is the inclusion of Miss America alongside her colleagues Battle Japan, Battle France, Battle Cossack and Battle Kenya.
I've only watched one episode and its a crazy trip, it looks like it was directed by someone on speed and acid.
Each ranger has their own dance that they cant stop performing. I mainly remember the scene where they all must jump over a sword to prove their worthiness of superherodom.
here is a link to the wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Fever_J

Onto the music, and this show, due to its multi national heroes, gave Chumei the opportunity to be as diverse as he wanted. Chumei constantly throws in different musical styles from around the globe, the hyperactive pace of the show is perfectly reflected in Chumei's score as he switches things up at a pace, and as mentioned before he throws everything in to the mix.
http://soundcloud.com/oblong/b-f-j-edit

We kick of with the opening theme tune which best represents the overall score but with added vocals, i'm telling you this stuff can grow on you.
Next up is 'Down Town Blues' which should be renamed Down Town Funk as the drumming and basslines on this number are insane, things start of slow but the funk just builds and builds.
The Funk continues on the next rack 'Soldier's of Destiny'.
More funk and electric suspense follow in the tracks 'Theme from Chase' and 'Theme of Satan-Egos' and lastly I have to leave you with the camp and infectious disco of 'Under the Flag of Justice' which never fails to put a spring in my step.

and there we have it,

but before I go a few bonus cuts!

1, the score to Frankenstein! which was penned by Kentaro Haneda, of Mystery Kindaichi fame. Which has been uploaded to youtube for our pleasure.

2, There is also the sequal to Battle Fever J 'Electronic Sentai Denjiman' or 'Denjiman' for short, again by Chumei CQ-7054. This carries on where Battle Fever left off, not quite as funky but more electronic malarkey going on, but this is all vocal tracks and no proper 'BGM' music, as they say in Japan.

3, I'm not sure if this OVA is tied to Marvel in any way but it came out around the same time, it seems to have a similar graphic style, and it is also based on a historic piece of fiction (Lupine vs Herlock Sholmes), and it has a belter of a score. 'Lupin vs holmes'. I have a copy winging it's way to me from Japan as I write so will know more later.
By ScoJo
Fabulous stuff, @Dollar!

Tomb of Dracula has only just come into my life, but I'm loving all this 70s Marvel/Toei talk, I'm gonna devour your post later today after sunday lunch. Excite!

Great work, well worth the wait. Remember to nominate some other playa :)
By thewaystation
Quality stuff, @dollar, thank you! I am currently at an airport gate w/o headphones but with your descriptions and links my evening is sorted.
By deafmetal
@Dollarhyde - nice research project for your deep cut! Looking forward to digging into this material, thank you.
By deafmetal
@Dollar - The opening vocal cut of Battle Fever J has already grown on me -- what a tune! Thank you for introducing me to this material. The Spiderman show and OST is all new to me, and I am enjoying it. I am not steeped in Marvel lore, especially regarding licensing arrangements outside the US, and that is some interesting history with Toei. I have already been hounding Yokoyama's Dracula LP, and this deeper dive only adds to the thrill of the hunt. The hidden funk in some of this material is top-notch. There is a wealth of research in this thread, and it is very well done. I also appreciate all the bonus clips, and I'm currently listening to the Frankenstein rip.

Also, please let us know about that Sherlock Holmes joint. ;)
By Dollarhyde
Glad you dug it @deaf
Lupin vs holmes has a few incredible tunes on it, amazing vibes work!
The musicianship is top notch, although a few tracks are a bit 'allo allo', as in the TV show ;)
Don't know if you had this TV show in your part of the world (accordion, french style :P :D )

Here is the discogs page for the record. Check out the rosta, akira ishigawa and hiromasa suzuki! Also no way a £300 record!
https://www.discogs.com/Tamaki-Hiroki-J ... se/9512352

Will hopefully rip it along with some others in a few weeks time.