Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

DIABOLIQUE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
by Various Artists
Phantasma Disques
PD-LP-017

I decided to present to you guys something a bit unconventional. This is a soundtrack compilation for the movie Diabolique, directed by Cosmotropia de Xam, who is the main guy behind witch-house act MATER SUSPIRIA VISION. So it’s a soundtrack curated by himself, for his own arthouse experimental horror film about vampires. Here’s the synopsis :
Esmakra is a milk-like substance used by vampires to infect the human race. Causing addiction. Controlling them. The shadow of darkness is where the vampires stay. Saturated neon color lights of the big city. Soul Intoxication of a single ticket. Near the streets of the weaping houses they are looking for their next victim. A victim for spreading their anima…

Aura is another member of MSV and she plays a part in the movie, as well as provide one solo track and feature on a collaboration track as well. There’s 2 tracks by MSV, two tracks by Madame O Und Ihre Kopffilm Bande (a MSV side project), it’s been released on Phantasma Disques, Cosmotropia’s label. So it’s a multifaceted project that all revolves around Cosmotropia. The movies of Cosmotropia de Xam feels made to accompany the music, like a videoclip, it’s an experience that doesn’t stand alone from the witch-house scene or from it’s music. it’s very much a visual presentation of a witch house trip.

Most witch-house acts will borrow elements from Screwed and chopped hip hop beats, Rave, and industrial, and place it and a atmospheric and foggy dream like sound. Witch House act 'White Ring’ labeled the sound as ‘fog music’ and it’san apt description of the synth driven atmospherics present in the genre. Add in a heavy dose of occultism and witchery (in sound as well as presentation, one needs only look at the band names often including ascii symbols making them hard to search on google), and you’re in for a dark trip.

Mater Suspiria Vision stand out in the scene for being heavily influenced by horror movies, drone and krautrock. Their sound is unique within the genre. They will have vocal samples passed through delays and reverbs, or ghastly haunting the song in the background, they will have long stretches of drone with repetitive beats, they will have screams passed through effects. Most of their regular albums have had videoclips cut for their songs, from underground horror movies scenes. You can see from those clips the vast influence of asian horror, italian horror (their name is lifted from the best Dario Argento : suspiria), French horror (Rollin, Franco) etc. I know that Cosmotropia is a big fan of Klaus Schulze and I think this influence show in this particular soundtrack.

For Diabolique, 6 out of 11 tracks features either Aura or Cosmotropia de Xam, the rest is from some players from the Witch-House scene, including the important and productive Blvck Ceilling, and In Death it Ends. It starts off with the spoken words of Aura, on mellow and dark synths, to follow with In Death it Ends’ theme from the movie. I.D.I.E. have this gothic and occult present with a focus on repetitive beats, it’s the more aggressive and industrial track on there. Then comes the Blvck Ceiling track with it’s cool melody driven synth work. From then one, the rest of the soundtrack goes on to a mix of krautrock and drone, done as witch-house. It’s hypnotic and ritualistic.

BANDCAMP FULL ALBUM : https://phantasmadisques.bandcamp.com/a ... soundtrack