Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

As a tribute to the greatest drummer in the world Jaki Liebezeit, who died recently - here is the wonderful and groovy

AGILOK & BLUBBO OST
by The Inner Space
Recorded October 1968 in Cologne, Germany
Wah Wah Records
LPS061
15348123697_f40c066080_z.jpg
15348123697_f40c066080_z.jpg (187.3 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
97759627_o1.jpg
97759627_o1.jpg (301.68 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
Agilok & Blubbo is the soundtrack to a hard-to-find German psychedelic counter culture movie. It is one of the very earliest recordings of the line-up which would become Can (Schmidt/Liebezeit/Czukay) with Rosy Rosy on vocals. None of the material from this film was featured on the 1970 compilation "Soundtracks". The tracks "Kamera Song" and "Agilok & Blubbo" were released together as a single.

Here are the title song and the single Kamera Song (which may be familiar from the odd psych compilation / freak out!)

And here's the birth of 'motorik' on Es Zieht Herauf (after a bit of gentle folksy noodling...)

Flop Pop shows their kinship with Velvet Underground, and the way Can would take influence from US rock and twist it up in a delightfully Deutsche way....

Revolutionslied is the same theme, but this time we're trapped in a bier keller with the group while they bang out a shouty acapella version with minimal, plonked-out accompaniement...they're probably singing about fighting 'Der Mann' or something...

Album closer Apokalypse is an epic, instrumental version of the main theme, both loose and super-tight at the same time. They're in full Velvets mode by this point.

On many of these tracks, it's should be fairly clear that for the most part we're listening to music created pretty much live/either without or with minimal overdubs. I love this record because it's a valuable document of early Can in full swing, but as a soundtrack it also (along with the very enticing film images on the sleeve) gets my imagination going overtime about the movie itself - which I've yet to track down.

Check it out if you like this sort of thing. Probably avoid like week-old sauerkraut if you don't.

Oh, and as a bonus since you're here - check out this extraordinary track 'Tape Kebab' from a John Peel session in 1974 -
Irmin Schmidt is absolutely out of his nut on guitar here.

Vielen dank und tchuss meine freunde!

MACHT LIEBE, KEIN KRIEG!
Last edited by ScoJo on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
A timely choice indeed @ScoJo - can't say I know much of Can's music, though I'm aware of their output being held in high regard in musical circles (and being a key influence on groups like Lydon's Pil)

Something to explore... this LP cover has also caught my attention in the past. :)

That said, somehow I am even more drawn to the title 'Tape Kebab'. Now that does conjure up some arresting mental imagery!

Thanks for sharing.