Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By zuko

Deep Cut #15
Title: Jeff Grace - Meek's Cutoff (2010)
Label: Blackest Rainbow (BRR238)
Year: 2012
Format: 10"

I love a good American Western. One of my favourite aspects of the genre is the use of environment; vast open plains unspoilt by the modern world; mountains and deserts that swallow our characters.

Kelly Reichardt's Meek's Cutoff (2010) has environment in abundance. The story, set in 1845, follows a group of settlers travelling across Oregon under the stewardship of their guide, the titular Meek. The barren scrubland is unrelenting and unforgiving and as their supplies and patience begin to run out, and with no end to the journey in sight, the group become to question both their guide's competence and motives.

The superb score by Jeff Grace (Cold in July, The House of the Devil, The Inkeepers) is as sparse in it's composition as the bleak landscape. The overall texture of droning strings and ambience perfectly matches the endless vistas and parched palette, and works equally well at conjuring up those images on a solo listen. The constantly shifting ambience gives a real sense of unease and increasing otherworldliness to the travellers' labours.

The only moments of rhythm come from a prepared piano, perhaps in an ironic nod to the upright 'saloon' piano found in more traditional Westerns. Here though, the instrument sounds bowed and beaten, filled with dust, and solemnly picks out chords at the pace of a funeral march.

[video]http://www.milanrecords.com/releases/ME ... Desert.mp3[/video]
The Desert

The score came out in 2012 on a nice dinky 10" from Blackest Rainbow, who also just released the equally atmospheric Blue Ruin. It's still readily available at a good price, and for me is a sorely overlooked mini-masterpiece.

[video]http://www.milanrecords.com/releases/ME ... apture.mp3[/video]
Sighting and Capture
By static14
Thanks @Zuko I have never heard of this film. Seems like the score and movie are both worth looking into. Those samples are really nice!

This is why I love this thread. I've been exposed to some very cool stuff so far. Long live Deep Cuts! :)
By freshoj
Hear hear! These deep cuts threads haven't turned out the way I originally envisioned - which has been kind of awesome.

Thanks @zuko for continuing the trend of opening my eyes to things I shouldn't have missed the first time around.
By phantomnoir
Interesting! Thanks for the recommendation. Is the film any good?
By DISCOSUCKS...
Great pick @zuko. Jeff Grace has been killing it in the last few years, both House of the Devil and Cold in July are excellent scores but I'd missed this one. Interesting how , away from the film, it sounds really contemporary. Reminds me of Miles Davis' Siesta score in some ways, and Mark Isham.

I've picked up at least 75% of the Deep Cut recommendations - Black Circle Spinners sure know their shit!
By zuko
Wow, very glad you guys are digging it!

@phantomnoir – I like it, I think the score is better than the film, but I like it. It is extremely slow and meditative, with meticulous detail for design and cinematography but not heavy on plot or dialogue.

@discosucks – Very astute mate; in the liner notes Grace says: "We decided that the score should employ conventional instruments from the film's period utilised in unconventional ways"
By DISCOSUCKS...
@zuko - well, since I speed ordered this from Discogs after your post/samples, I look forward to soon having those liner notes in my grubby physical hands! :D