Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By NathanLurker
Deep Cut Record 12 - Svidd Neger by Ulver

Svidd Neger ( aka « Burnt Nigger » ) is a Norwegian film from 2003, which revolves around the story of a norwegian man whose wife gives birth to a black child. He kills his wife and throws the child into the sea. Later on, the man’s daughter is looking for love, and meet with a family, the other side of the mountain, with their adopted black son who wants to be a sami ( an indigenous people living on the northern parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland…). I have not seen the film and can't comment on it’s merits, but I’m planning to watch it at some point, based solely on the fact that I absolutely love the music of the film.

"The beautiful CD cover, which I prefer to the LP covers"

The soundtrack was composed by the band Ulver (meaning « Wolves » in norwegian), which started off as a black Metal band, but soon moved towards an experimental path of electronic, drone, avant-garde music. They have been sampled in the movie Sinister, as backdrops to one of the 8mm movie in the story. They have written my favorite album ever, Perdition City, on which they had a stunning variety of influences from jazz to trip-hop, experiments in silence and noises, and avant garde rock. They have an hommage album to 60’s psych rock that they took live at the road burn festival. They have recently worked to create a soundtrack to a theater play.

"Cd booklet art"

SVIDD NEGER is the second of the two soundtracks they have yet produced in their discography, it was released on CD in 2003 and later on was pressed on vinyl in 2008 in a gatefold silver & black sleeve with poster and in 2013 on golden regular sleeves. both vinyl pressings in 3 possible vinyl colors.

It is orchestral-electronic music, very intimate and dramatic at times, in a way that brings back the cold tones and beautiful melancholy of one of our Death Waltz favorite : « Let The Right One In ». Everytime I listen to Svidd Neger, I think of an electronic counterpart to LTROI. There’s a lot of surprises along the way, like trip hop beats and the screams of a woman giving birth alone in the forest in one scene of the movie (it works, it’s a beautiful track), the neoclassical Waltz of King Carl and the spiralling dramatic ending of the album, Wheel of conclusion.

I would suggest listening to the trio of song "Comedown", "Surface" and "Wildcat" to sample the most beautiful moments of sadness and waves of melancholia that the album offers. Then the two Rock Massifs songs for their dramatic beats and heavy electronics.

SVIDD NEGER ON BANDCAMP
SVIDD NEGER ON DISCOGS
By static14
Thanks for opening my eyes to a film and score I knew nothing about!
By texasvinyl
Really digging the tracks on the bandcamp, good pick Nathan.
By deafmetal
Nice posting, I will be checking this out.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Excellent choice!

I'm aware of Ulver but mainly through getting into Daniel O'Sullivan really....I've yet to take the plunge into their world proper, and this would seem a perfect starting point?

Will definitely be checking out some sound samples anyway - thanks @Nathan. And the film sounds pretty great!
By soundtracks of fear
Top choice! Knew of them from random listening in black metal days and wasn't so keen, but this sounds really interesting with lots of different influences, I like the fact they still retain their darkness. I can viddi well how this would fit within the film. More black metal bands should explore - incidentally is natherlurker any reference to lurker of chalice?
By tonyandrewgiles
Oh @nathan...

This is my first time hearing this, I remember the name from the Sunn O))) split but I'd never heard this.

Its perfect, & I'm now hunting around for a copy online that won't cost a fortune.

If anyone has one and wants to sell or trade for anything in my store please drop me a line :)
By philball1974
This is a great choice. I love this type of music. Ulver always seem to be one of those hit n miss bands for me, but this is a classic. Beautiful piano work and a real gothic feel.

If Clannad collaborated with Peter and Peter it would sound like this.

Tony if you find good priced ones can I pre order it from you pleae? :)
By tonyandrewgiles
@phil - Not looking to stock it but if I do find another on my travels I'll drop you a line :)
By freshoj
Nicely played @NathanLurker - streaming as I type...
By NathanLurker
[quote=51678](...) incidentally is natherlurker any reference to lurker of chalice? [/quote]

No it's not, I know Lurker of Chalice by name only, even though I'm definitely inside that whole scene of blackened metal, Southern Lord stuff, etc. But my nickname isn't based on a movie or band. it's not based on anything, really. I'm just lurking the web I guess ;)

@Disco : Yes Svidd Neger is definitely a good entry point to Ulver (post Black Metal era), but their best is Perdition City (on the cover, there is the subtitle ''music to an interior film'' even though it's not a soundtrack).

@Philball1974 : oh thanks for mentioning the gothic vibe, it's there for sure

I'm glad you guys all seem to enjoy the darkness and beauty of Svidd Neger