Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl

For my deep cut selection I chose Rocketship X-M by Ferde Grofe.

Rocketship X-M, released in 1950 is one of the original outer space science fiction movies. The film requires the suspension of any understanding of modern physics -- for example, the astronauts wear street clothes aboard the space ship, and the ship accidentally lands on Mars instead of the moon -- but it is an entertaining throwback to the dawn of the space era. I think at the time this would have been perceived as a straightforward scientific movie with a lot of detail and information.

You can watch the movie on YouTube, and there is a DVD available for about $5. The score was released by Starlog Records in 1977. The Starlog label is a small label, possibly an imprint of Varese Sarabande, that seemed to exist very much in the spirit of the STBC board labels do today. They did the research, located the 'lost' source material from 27 years prior, and pressed this score as their first release with the idea that the project was a historical preservation. I have one other OST on the Starlog label, Bernard Hermann's excellent score to North By Northwest.

There are a few copies of the Starlog score to Rocketship X-M around. The catalog number is SR - 1000. I apologize, I am not able to find a complete auto recording of the score online. If anyone finds one please add a link to the thread!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KboA6IxmPo[/video]

The score is a vibrant, visual work from an American composer best known for composing the Grand Canyon Suite and for arranging Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue. Grofe's score is the first science fiction score credited with use of the theremin, and this Starlog Records pressing includes a ghostly theremin solo not used in the film.

The orchestration by Albert Glasser is expressive and vibrant, and the themes effectively communicate the extraterrestrial scenery. The track "Exploring the Red Planet" for example beautifully combines the theremin with a string, brass and woodwind arrangement to paint a mental picture of Mars' surface.

I encourage reading the liner notes from the rear cover:

You can also watch the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version of the movie!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqeU1gcDbAU[/video]
By Purplemule74
Great choice Texasvinyl! I wouldn't have thought of the score for this film; thanks for reintroducing it!
By deafmetal
Looks fun, will be checking it out. Long live the theremin.
By freshoj
Excellent choice @texasvinyl - I'll be adding the film to my watchlist!

Who did you want to nominate for the next cut? the list of current participants is HERE
By static14
Gonna have to add this album to my want list!
By Dollarhyde
Love these old 50's 50's sci-fi films. I'm a big fan of the original twilight zone TV series. Will try and give it a listen on Spotify.

By texasvinyl
Dusty Groove listed a copy of Rocketship XM yesterday:

LINK