Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By tonyandrewgiles
By reading the title I'm sure some of you may be scratching your heads thinking 'Red Heat the 80s Walter Hill/Schwarzenegger flick?' but yes that's 100% my choice for a deep cut and if you bear with me I'll explain why.

By now most of us that use the forum or who visit it on the regular are well aware that horror OSTs make up the lion share of what gets posted in the 'Now Playing' section and I for one am now a die hard horror fan but that wasn't always the case.

Back in '88 when the film was released I as a young person of 10 years of age shouldn't have been watching films like this but my folks were of the opinion that as long as there wasn't any sexy stuff they didn't so much mind the violence, and it also being the late 80s bootleg VHS was everywhere and Red Heat just so happened to be a film that found its way into my VCR.

At the time I just loved the film, Arnie was a hero and I watched everything I could get my hands on.

Fast forward 10+ years and I picked up a Schwarzenegger box set on DVD featuring Total Recall, Red Sonja & Red Heat, needless to say the film may have suffered a little since my childhood but I still enjoyed it and the one thing that really stood out to me was...

The soundtrack

Composed by James Horner and released by Virgin Records, it's since become one of my favourite OSTs.

I'm sure most of you are aware of Horner's work as since the 80s he's composed some of the biggest films made (Aliens, Field of Dreams, Braveheart, Titanic, Avatar etc, etc).

What I love about this score is just how diverse it is, from the beautiful choiral opening to the often times jazzy and moody themes that drop in and out the whole thing.
There are tracks that are big and bold and then some that while being minimalistic are equally as powerful.

I make no bones about it though this is a score that wears it's time period right on its sleeve but for me that's no bad thing.

But don't just take it from me, some kind fellow has uploaded the whole thing onto the internets.

http://youtu.be/-fKJNJCzLwY

Cheers
By tonyandrewgiles
I nominate @texasvinyl :)
By static14
Awesome choice @TAG!
By freshoj
bringing the deep cut red heat!

excellent choice as I promise you I would never had slowed down if I flipped past this in a bin. so thanks for shedding the light and reminding me how much fun Arnie (and Jim) movies used to be.
By tonyandrewgiles
@jmctodo - It's a great score and can probably be picked up for pennies :D
By DISCOSUCKS...
Walter Hill flick! Yesss......

Seen this only once, manymany years ago as a youngling, and I distinctly remember the score - lots of klangety-klang percussive action drive with a strong Russki/balalaika theme...not dissimilar from Horner's classy Gorky Park score if I recall correctly?

Good stuff anyway @TAG, thanks for sharing. As with a lot of other DPR selections I'll be adding this to my Discogs cart toots sweet!

Ps. Does The Schwarz drop any death-puns in that flick??
By tonyandrewgiles
@disco - You're not far wrong buddy, the score has so much going on, its well worth a look for a few quid.
As for the film, there's some classic Arnie…

http://youtu.be/Bol0o4kQjIs?t=22s
By DISCOSUCKS...
^ That's just......so....frickin awesome! ;)
By scottydoo
I concur great work, tho if I was to pick an arnie / Horner release my first choice would be commando that's amazing (never issued on vinyl tho, I tell you if I ever start my own label this would be my first and only target) http://youtu.be/_24YWy71RXo
By tonyandrewgiles
@scotty - Agreed fella it's a great score & some elements can be heard in Red Heat too.

James Horner is so prolific, I need to check out more of his back cat.
By Dollarhyde
Only recently got round to giving this a proper listen. Was alot better than I thought it would be. Not a fan of the opening theme but further in there is some great synth and percussion work. At times, bizarrely, the double time percussion reminded me of footwork, e.g. kuedo.
looking to secure a copy.
By tonyandrewgiles
@dollarhyde - I'm glad you dig it bud.

A lot of action movies have really great scores but don't carry the weight like horror movies do.
By Dollarhyde
I get what you're saying.
I was listening to it thinking it sounds like a thriller or horrer ost. Parts reminded me of manhunter, and theres alot of those off key, hysteria inducing, melodies often found in horror scores.
Just about to cop a copy on discogs.