Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By static14
For my Deep Cut I decided to highlight an often overlooked score by Mark Isham. In fact it was his first film score.

The Album is Film Music and For the purpose of this write up we'll be looking at side 2 of the record which features a 24+ minute suite of music from Carroll Ballard's Never Cry Wolf (Side 1 features music from Mrs. Soffel and The Times of Harvey Milk).

Carroll Ballard took a big chance hiring Isham to work on a film that so completely relies on music. The vast majority of the film focuses it's time with one man in the wilderness studying wolves. So there is little dialogue, a bit of narration, and Isham's score. Ballard's risk was in hiring a composer who had just earlier the same year released his first album (previously he'd only acted as a featured horn player for other artists). As it turns out he made a wise choice. Isham was able to compose an electronic score that not only works beautifully in the film but is a great listen away from the film as well.

For an electronic score it manages to completely avoid sounding artificial. It fits seemlessly into a film that is set entirely in the wilderness, and spends about as much time with wolves as it does with the (very small) human cast. The music is very intimate and reflective, which also is in keeping with the peaceful sense of explorative isolation in the film. The music leans much more to the melodic side of light electronics. While I'm generally not a giant fan of film suites in this case 24 minutes is perfect. It gives you a great representation of the score as a whole.

The album was released by Windham Hill Records and is available for super cheap online. Never Cry Wolf is also a great film. If you've never seen it it's well worth your time.

Here's the complete suite.

https://soundcloud.com/openeyefilms/nev ... suite-mark

I nominate @tonyandrewgiles
By tonyandrewgiles
@static - I will take your nom & get into this over the Christmas holiday.

Isham is someone I've only skated the surface with.
By static14
He's worth looking into. Great with electronics and a hell of a horn player as well.
By DISCOSUCKS...
I picked up this LP a few months ago, and more recently his ECM album Vapor Drawings, directly as a result of your highlighting them here @Static. Always been a huge fan of Isham's scores, specifically The Hitcher and The Moderns which are two of my favourite all time OSTs. Has been great digging a little deeper into his catalogue - thanks bro.

Never Cry Wolf is a great watch, I agree - for some reason, I pair it with the movie Iceman (with John Lone and Tim Hutton) which is one of the most heartbreaking films ever, and from around the same time/features a lot of snow ;)
By static14
I'd love to see someone release The Hitcher on vinyl!
By Dollarhyde
Thanks static, being a relative newbie to the soundtrack world this is the first I have heard of this guy.

This is a truly deep cut, I see what you mean by intimate, think I will be grabbing a copy from discogs.

Hitcher is an awesome movie, Rutger!! Guess I will have to watch it again now :)

By freshoj
Lovely, thanks @static14
By tonyandrewgiles
@static - Can you recommend me 2-3 Isham releases to dive into?
By static14
Sure thing @TAG

Solo album wise Vapor Drawings is a really great album. Castalia is also pretty good.

Film work, sadly a lot of his stuff isn't on vinyl only CD, but of what's out there on vinyl I like The Beast, Trouble in Mind, The Moderns.
By tonyandrewgiles
@static - Thanks hoss, going to have a look about online and try and grab these :)
By tonyandrewgiles
@static - Just nabbed a copy of The Beast for a few bucks :)