Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By bansel
Hey all, posting my deep cut a few days early as I have a busy weekend ahead. SO here goes...

I chose "Angst" scored by Klaus Schulze. Is this a deep cut? It's hard to tell. I haven't really seen any talk about it on the forum, but I suspect many are already familiar. At the very least I'm sure many are familiar with Schulze' work in some capacity.

For those not familiar, Klaus Schulze is an electronic composer who was briefly in Tangerine Dream and then began a solo career spawning countless albums over several decades. A few of those were soundtracks. "Angst" is one of them.

As I have done with many foreign film soundtracks, I bought it without having seen the movie and just enjoyed it as a stand alone work. In that capacity I've loved this album. Very atmospheric synth and distinctly "eighties", particularly with the use electronic drums in some places. Sheila E anyone?

Then I saw the movie. Recently. And the music took on a whole different meaning. Mind you, the version I watched was German speaking which I speak none, and without subtitles (granted there is very little dialogue). But the point being, I had to watch the film with just the visuals and music. I later read that the movie was actually edited around the music instead of vice versa, which is pretty unusual. The music captures the mood and intensity perfectly for what's happening on the screen. It makes sense that the dialogue would be so sparce as the music itself really drives the movie... something you don't get when listening to the album by itself. Suffice to say, I now appreciate the album in a new light.

As for the movie, it is unlike anything I've ever seen. It follows the release of a psychopath from prison and we follow him in real time over the next 90 minutes or so of his life. Let's just say things go south very fast.It's really an incredible movie and has some of the most interesting camerawork Ive seen. You literally cannot stop watching for one second. It's brilliant.

So anyway, below are some clips and some pics. The great thing is, if you are into it, this vinyl can still be picked up easily and cheap. Though I should tell you there was a CD reissue containing an amazing 30 minute bonus track that was not on the vinyl called "Silent Survivor".

So, feel free to discuss likes/dislikes. I encourage anyone who has not seen the film to seek it out.

With all that said I now pass the torch to @Ghostfires. You're up Ghost Man!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDywz1wOEvs[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPKkA03alzc[/video]

and the one not on the vinyl...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT1Z7CdS5KQ[/video]

By Spun out of control
Am I detecting almost a proto Cliff Martinez in that plinky plonk first track?

The third - which you say is not on the LP - is where things step up a notch for me.

Interesting and one that, again, I'd never heard before now so well done on making the effort.
By Dollarhyde
Not listened to the clips yet, on mobile.
But I know the track 'freeze' from this lp as it was also used in the film 'manhunter'. Although not credited or released on the manhunter the ost.

Your explanation of the movie makes the record all the more intriguing. I recently passed on a copy, which I think wasnt cheap around £20 but I may still regret.
By freshoj
Very nice selection. I really dig Schulze but had never heard this (or seen the movie, which sounds like a must-see).

Interestingly, when I was initially digging in on him, I actually avoided the soundtracks, thinking they would be less interesting as stand alone works. Silly me.

(and wow, isn't this deep cut series really shaping up to be something special!?)
By phantomnoir
I love it. Thank you so much for this amazing soundtrack!
By ghostfires
Absolutely love Schulze, great call!

So now it's up to me to not screw up this great series of suggestion threads! Give me a little time and I'll deliver something hopefully as enjoyable!

Again, great call on Angst. Schulze's film work never seem to get the love that TD's soundtracks did, but to me he was always just as good.
By static14
great choice @bansel!
By bansel
Thanks guys I'm glad you're digging it.

@spunoutofcontrol, I agree with you on the "missing track" Silent Survivor. The tragedy here is that it is the best track. I can only assume they left it off due to its length but who knows. I'd love to see a vinyl reissue with it included.
By Dollarhyde
Listening now, should have picked up that copy.
reminds me of this: click below for link

Jean Piche Heliograms

Is also available on vinyl.
By soundtracks of fear
I don't know this one, but currently reliving some of my old Schulze,Timewind a favourite. If you like TD can't go wrong with this sort of thing.
By NathanLurker
I didn't know Schulze's work so yeah good choice Bansel, will try to find me some of his releases